Repair-O, Arrow-Fix tools ??

  • aelric_southlake
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 17, 2013
      Was at a 3D shoot recently, complained about breaking my hand-made wooden arrows to a guy in my shooting party, and he said, "Maybe you oughtta try this thing they used to have called a 'Repair-O'"...

      I can't find "Repair-O" on the web, but I found this thing called "Arrow Fix."

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax35gk13ogo

      Anyone out there ever tried one? The video makes it look very easy, and shows good results - but propaganda is propaganda, ha ha ha...

      It's kinda like a "lazy man's footing jig," but that'd be all right by me if it works.

      Thoughts, annecdotes, opinions & options, and general spit-balling always aprreciated!

      ~ Aelric, West K.
    • John Chapin
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 17, 2013
        I haven't tried that jig but I think what they were talking about is called reparrow.  They are a short hardwood arrow shaft with a tapered socket cut on the end.  All you need to use them is a standard tapering tool.  I've used them and they work pretty good for arrows with the break near the point and at $15 a dozen they can save some money.

        Thorarinn
        Meridies

        On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 9:13 PM, aelric_southlake <magnetcoil@...> wrote:

        Was at a 3D shoot recently, complained about breaking my hand-made wooden arrows to a guy in my shooting party, and he said, "Maybe you oughtta try this thing they used to have called a 'Repair-O'"...

        I can't find "Repair-O" on the web, but I found this thing called "Arrow Fix."

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax35gk13ogo

        Anyone out there ever tried one? The video makes it look very easy, and shows good results - but propaganda is propaganda, ha ha ha...

        It's kinda like a "lazy man's footing jig," but that'd be all right by me if it works.

        Thoughts, annecdotes, opinions & options, and general spit-balling always aprreciated!

        ~ Aelric, West K.

      • James Koch
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 17, 2013
          Aelric,

          I could probably provide really light weight high strength aluminum tubes with an ID just right for splicing together broken wooden arrows.  Of course, depending where the break occurs, the weight distribution of the shaft and spine will be changed.  They'd likely work only with modern recurves.  Also, they wouldn't be legal for tournaments since they would be part modern.  Another alternative is to use carbon shafts for practice arrows and then switch to wood a couple weeks before an event.  The carbons hold up much better than wood.

          Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 18, 2013
            Of course! Not "Repair-O," but "Reparrow"! I was visualizing a spelling like "Wham-O" Thank you!

            And Jim, I just sold my carbons... Kinda sorta regret it, but have this new policy of "don't hang on to stuff you don't ever use." Maybe I need to make a batch of wooden arrows just for practice, that don't have the fancy fletch binding/whipping that I've been doing. I'll be a little less irritated when I blow those up, ha ha ha
          • JonThomme De Claydon
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 18, 2013
              Arrows are beautiful art that is launched at high velocity and ultimately meant to be destroyed.
              Broken tips join ranks and become a shorter set. Broken shafts join ranks and become cross bow bolts.

              In service to the dream

              Baron Jon Thomme

              Gold is for the mistress
              Silver for the maid
              R. Kipling
            • Holly Decker
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 18, 2013

                Perfect!

              • Janyn Fletcher
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 18, 2013
                  It works extremely well. I bought one to easily foot my friends arrows for his Japanese Yumi. I will say the cone it makes on non hardwood shafts is fairly thin and there are times where the arrows will brake at that cone. I will also say it makes a great joint that is almost non detectible and looks good.

                  Janyn