Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: period bows

  • Carolus
    Message 1 of 21 , May 31, 2013
      My Lady,
      This discussion is not reflective of SCA archery as a whole.  What you are experiencing here is a small group of archers who recognize that SCA archery does not have as many accurate portrayals of period archery as we would like and wish to create something to encourage more people to take an interest in the more period aspects of archery.  I, for one, have been involved since AS XI; others in this discussion longer - some shorter but all with long experience.  Myself, I shoot a 35 year-old magnesium risered Olympic recurve stripped down to basic SCA standards and a reasonably period crossbow (and make them).  I am not terribly accurate in my portrayal but I study the cultural and technical aspects of period archry and know the difference.  My interest is not so much getting accurate re-enactment archers out there as it is educating archers to know what real period archery was, where the archer fit in society, and its historical perspective so that they know the difference from what they are doing.

      Please do not let this single discussion dissuade you from becoming active in SCA archery. Learning to shoot with borrowed equipment will teach you basic skills without making a big investment.  Going out with some skilled archers and shopping for garage sale or flea market modern bows will teach you how to tell good equipment from bad.  Making a PVC bow is a great way to begin becoming a bowyer and is the essence of the SCA.  It doesn't matter how period you start, it matters that you do start.  Then you can learn what period archery is and how period you want to become.
      THL Carolus von Eulenhorst
      Caidan Master of Archers, Emeritus
      Order of the Chiron
      Order of the Argent Arrow

      On 5/31/2013 7:46 AM, patricia_foxx wrote:

      I am a newbee, and honestly, this discussion is impacting how I feel about joining the SCA. On one hand I totally understand the concept of "period" gear. On the other, I am unemployed at the moment, on a very limited budget, and I am working with what I have on hand. When the PVC bow idea came to me from a knight, I knew I would be able to do the archery affordably with materials I have on hand.

      I have a longing to shoot. I also enjoy being all dressed to period (thanks to my friend Christianna a 36 year vet of the SCA) I am able to dress the part. I understand what people are saying about period gear, but what happens if I am a lousy shooter? I would have spent a chunk of change on something that I wouldn't be using...Not a good idea at all...

      So I guess my question is this...should I just take my toys and go home or am I welcome to play with you guys? The way things are looking I should just take my toys and head out. I really hope this isn't the case, but if it is, so be it.