Who is welcome on our Archery Range - Everyone!

  • Doug Copley
    Message 1 of 2 , May 31, 2013
      ALL Archers are welcome on our range. I have had people show up with all kinds of things, including Alatals! If someone shows up with a compound bow with a 3' stabilizer on it they will get to shoot it! I will encourage them to try one of the bows that would be counted towards one of our classifications but I will not require it. The only thing is that I will not allow them to score an official score that will be posted on the Royal Round page or the IKAC page while they are using their Compound bow.

      The discussion that we have been talking about is how to properly classify the different styles of equipment within the SCA. None of the discussions have been about eliminating types of bows or types of garb, or types of anything. It is only about how to classify what is being done.

      When I go to a local Native American Indian Archery Tournament and shoot with my Period Longbow - they classify me as Modern / Open!!!! Their Period Classification is for flat bows:-)

      So mostly this is about growing pains and how to make sure that we continue to grow and how do we encourage more Period Archery. Unfortunately none of us has THE answer. I believe that most of us are working towards the same goal of having more people shoot.

      For our Archery Champion Shoot that we just had in Ansteorra we had longbows, recurves, and crossbows all on the line at the same time. Some had fiberglass some did not, but it is an open shoot so anyone can shoot anything they want, except of course Compounds. Targets were from 16 yards to 100 yards:-)

      So please come out and join us and have fun, we laugh, joke, tease, and have a great time together doing this we love to do!

      Yours In Service to the Dream
      Vincenti da Murano
      Kingdom of Ansteorra
    • Pat
      Message 2 of 2 , May 31, 2013
        Outstanding!!! I've been doing Facebook too long, I was looking for the like button.

        Moire