Re: Poll questions on a guild

  • Allan Bluehood of Woods End
    Message 1 of 38 , May 27 2:21 PM
      I'm just joining this discussion, thanks to my friend Carolus calling it to my attention.
      Just an addition to the stated purpose of educating and promoting period archery, I would like to see the promotion part expanded to making period archery more visible in the SCA community at large. I've tried to get awareness of archery out into other events, even if there was no shooting. Sir Jon has stated excellent ideas on archers serving at other events.
      When Carolus was Kingdom Master of Archers, he tried to get archery awards to be handed out at non-archery events, and wanted archers to wear a kingdom archer's badge. But archers usually wore the badge on their quivers, if at all, hardly visible when away from the range. I tried expanding on this during my term of office, promoting baronial archer badges and making announcements at court, setting up information tables, etc.
      If archery is to be promoted by the guild, then guild members have to bring archery away from the range and into the rest of the event or to non-archery events. The rest of the SCA has to be shown that archery was an important part of medieval society, and that period archery can be a fun and productive pursuit.
      Just my two soldi...
      -Allan Bluehood-

      > As I see it, this proposed guild has, at its core, the purpose of
      > educating and promoting period archery. If someone is denied the
      > opportunity t learn, they can't achieve. so we need to open the door to
      > those who want to learn about period archery. Whether they ever shoot a
      > period bow, make a period peice of equipment, or wear period garb
      > doesn't matter, if the people who can teach period archery are here,
      > those who want to learn have to be here, too. So I would propose that
      > anyone be allowed to be an apprentice. That is the role of apprentice -
      > a student. Apprentices don't get the privilege of holding office,
      > voting, wearing badges or insignia, or receiving ranks or recognitions -
      > they get access to our people, knowledge, and any research resources we
      > may have.
      >
      > Past that, I see four lines of progress through the guild:
      > 1) The Shooter. This is the archer who shoots a period bow with period
      > tackle and form and shows skill at it. I don't care if they wear jeans
      > and Nike's or not - the point of this group is shooting.
      > 2) The Craftsman. This is the person who makes period replicas and
      > focuses on the technical aspects of period archery What they wear or how
      > they shoot is irrelevant.
      > 3) The Exemplar. This is the person who has the garb and social
      > position of the archer down pat. They are the visual depiction of the
      > period archer. How they shoot or if they can build gear is irrelevant
      > to this role.
      > 4) The Academic. This is the researcher. This is the person who holds
      > the others together. They may never get away from their bookcase or
      > armchair but they hold the knowledge.
      >
      > I would propose the a member can gain fellow or journeyman rank in any
      > or all of these but needs to be a fellow in all 4 before moving to
      > master or equivalent rank. Within each of these we can define
      > achievements. Each fellow would have a badge, and the master another
      > replacing the initial 4. Internal achievements can have noted on the
      > badge by adding an endorsement.
      >
      > This can be as simple or as complex as the members what it to be.
      > Carolus
    • John Edgerton
      Message 38 of 38 , May 28 1:25 PM
        I will leave the poll open till 12:00 PDT tonight to allow any last minute votes.