Re: Poll questions on a guild

  • chernislava
    Message 1 of 38 , May 25, 2013
      I don't know about the governing documents, but this is what it says on the official SCA inc. webpage on the matter of guilds:

      'Households and Guilds exist as unofficial groups within the SCA, and determine their own internal structure. Some households have a feudal basis, consisting of a Knight and his lady, and their squires and men-at-arms. Other households are founded by participants who are all interested in focusing their recreation on the same era in history. And some households are simply groups of friends who like to socialize and travel to events together. Guilds are founded by groups of artisans who come together to share their knowledge. They can set their own rules about how guild members demonstrate skill to gain rank within the guild.'

      Since households can control who can and cannot participate, I read this to mean that guilds are set up the same way. Yes, guilds can focus on promoting or celebrating specific aspects of a given craft or pursuit, even if that means some members of the society do not have the inclination or equipment to participate.

      I think the goal of this proposed guild should not be to exclude non-period archers, but to make period archery look so fun and interesting that people will voluntarily put more effort into shooting period equipment and styles so that they can participate in it.

      As an example, I was 'excluded' from the heavy armored community for a long time because I could not afford the gear (re: helmet) and the shire I was part of at the time didn't have loaner gear that safely fit me. They weren't elitist about it or anything, but the truth was I couldn't participate in their game because I was a poor college student lacking the funds and skills to make my own. But darn did they look great on the field and they looked like they were having a good time! So I saved up cash over a few years until I could afford a hand-me-down helmet to join in the fun. I think that's what we should aim for here - don't try to 'force' people to do period archery, and don't go out of your way to be exclusionary, but make it something *worth* striving for. By making 'all-inclusive' guilds that accept both period and non-period archers alike, I - as a non-period archery myself - don't feel like I have any *real* incentive to make the switch.

      So I'm asking, as a hobby non-period archer with limited time and funds (I participate in multiple aspects of the SCA and can only give so much time/money to each of them) - Give Me a Reason to put more focus on becoming a period archer - just as the Period/Style specific fencing tourneys pushed me to create more period fencing armor.

      Two cents, and all that. Take with a grain of salt.

      ~Chernislava Alekseeva

      > Gladius
      >
      > Interesting. Where is that in the governing documents?
      >
      > Jon
    • John Edgerton
      Message 38 of 38 , May 28, 2013
        I will leave the poll open till 12:00 PDT tonight to allow any last minute votes.