Re: [SCA-Archery] Poll questions on a guild

  • Jonathas
    Message 1 of 38 , May 25, 2013

      Absolutely awesome proposal.  All inclusive, yet encourages everyone to get better.

      Jonathas

      On May 25, 2013 4:14 AM, "Ronald Klick" <osmond_de_berwic@...> wrote:

      I myself like to shoot, I also teach a lot of kids and beginner adults, I promote archery with passion in and
      out of the SCA. I shoot an old Stemmler recurve that I've owned for 40 years now. I dress fairly simple as
      an Englishman of the 13th Century. I believe that if a society-wide guild is created it should include all of
      the aspects of archery, not be just geared to shooting, or to persona development of appropriate gear and
      costuming without firing a shot, or just for crafting, or just for research/teaching/running tourneys.

      For many of these portions of re-creation and recreation there are already existing guild and orders established.
      Another guild could be created here that promotes just the Periodness of archery/personas, (a period archery
      guild) or we could try a different path.

      I think it should encompass all of these somehow with a guiding format to promote Period Archery, but not
      to cause it to smother all other aspects of the fun of archery at the expense of periodness. I have an idea of
      how to accomplish this, subject to modification here it is:

      An SCA Archery Guild that incorporates all of the aspects of archery. Advancement in the guild to be based
      on four different areas, combined to determine ranking within the guild. I see four areas, but input from all of
      you may/will cause this to evolve during development.

      Shooting Skill

      Period Gear and Persona Development

      Craftmanship

      Teaching, Mentoring, Research, Service to Archery Community

      My thought was a tiered system within each area, ranking from 1 to 5, with a total that yields a ranking in
      the guild. More input would be needed to refine this but I will give some rough outlining of my basic idea.
      Criteria would have to be established for ranking within each area. For example Shooting could be based on
      a RR ranking to get level 1, some other shoots or GAT etc,... to move up. Crafting could start out with an
      archer making some of his own arrows, bowstrings etc, for level 1. For Period aspect, could be just to look
      the part of your persona on a basic level for level 1, with increasing requirements for garb and archery tackle
      to advance. And the last, teaching and mentoring, researching archery history/crafts personas, service and
      promotion of archery and its community.

      Rankings within Guild based on total scores of the 4 aspects:

       4  = Apprentice
       8  = Journeyman
      12 = GuildMaster
      16 = Senior Guild Master
      20 = Guild Grand Master

      So to get started in the guild, you'd have to amass 4 points. Someone who does not even shoot could be a
      part of our guild and community, but would have to concentrate on other aspects to join. Then again, an
      archer whose only interest is shooting would not be able to advance beyond Apprentice without trying
      to develop in the other aspects. And in order to attain the highest rankings someone will have to develop
      in all of the aspects and become immersed in archery, shooting skill, Period Persona and gear, crafting, and
      dedication to heightening Archery in the SCA. Someone who attained the highest ranking would be the
      ultimate example, ambassador of the Archery Community where ever they went.

      Numbers can be evaluated and adjusted, but I hope my basic outline makes sense. I now open this to the
      comments of my fellows of the Archery Community. These are my own opinions, not to be considered
      the prevailing views of my Barony or Kingdom.

      YIS
      Osmond de Berwic
      Barony of Stonemarche
      East Kingdom

      Message 38 of 38 , May 28, 2013
        I will leave the poll open till 12:00 PDT tonight to allow any last minute votes.