Re: [SCA-Archery] Archery guild. Was: Period, non-period, and crossbows.

  • Bai-Or
    Message 1 of 94 , May 23, 2013
      Jon,

      Definitely not.  Promoting period archery should be the primary purpose of this proposed guild exactly as you outlined, anything else is secondary.  Let's rewind just a little bit and ask ourselves, do we need the ranks at all?  I don't mind them, but I don't find them a big deal either way.

      -Eogan

      On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 11:54 PM, John R. Edgerton <sirjon1@...> wrote:

      Archery has many aspects other than just shooting. And shooting can be done just as well with modern compounds, sights, releases, carbon arrows, etc., or a solid fiberglass bow. It is the period aspects of archery that need further encouragement in the Society. Those that make period gear or teach its construction, run archery events, teach how to shoot, teach the history of archery,etc., are just as important to the further development of period archery in our Society. Archery guilds and archery in the Society should include and encourage more than just shooting arrows or bolts at a target. Are archery ranks based on skill alone more important than encouraging period archery in the Society?

      Jon

      Ronald Klick <osmond_de_berwic@...> wrote:

      I am sorry to be blunt, but if one has a back injury and cannot shoot, then one is not an archer. Perhaps a
      former archer, or a retired archer, but not currently an archer.  Establishing a Novice level based on RR's
      seems a simple and obvious choice, perhaps with different criteria/shooting rounds for more advanced
      levels within the Guild. As for those that cannot shoot due to injury, are they suggesting any other
      method than RRs, or are they suggesting criteria that do not require shooting(?) which makes no sense.
      Archery is shooting,....  Are they giving you guff about your criteria and insisting that it allow those
      that cannot shoot to be allowed a pass because the cannot do the activity?

      Osmond

      Message 94 of 94 , May 25, 2013
        Having read comments, and having almost been driven away by one obsessed with perfection, my concern is omission. I like the concept that was presented that included archers like myself. Limiting a guild to only those with period equipment is exclusionary and could end up fragmenting our community. I could, however, be misunderstanding your use of the term "period" and the inclusion of those with non-period equipment. IMHO, if this guild is to be proposed as a society-wide entity it can't exclude any portion of our community and be successful.

        Moire Ayres, archer