Re: [SCA-Archery] Period, non-period, and crossbows. WAS: Re: Crossbows vs Others

  • Bai-Or
    Message 1 of 94 , May 23, 2013
      If you gather 20 archers on a line you may see one pair of gym shoes, but you will see only one or two period bows.  The latter issue is the one I am trying to address.  I don't really like rules that force people to play a certain way only, so I am not in favor of wholesale changes to the equipment standards.  What I would like to see is some kind of a fun, but optional, period equipment incentive.

      Awhile back, there was discussion of a period archery guild.  How do people feel about that?  I didn't get a lot of feedback on the archer achievement idea, was it too intensive and to hard to implement?  Perhaps something scaled back?

      -Eogan

      On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 11:57 AM, Karl W. Evoy <kweancel@...> wrote:

      Except that the SCA archery list is a part of the SCA, and thus is concerned with recreation of the Middle Ages.
      So the clothing, tackle and other accouterments of the archer are a valid discussion point, and should be a concern of the members of this list.
      Ancel

      Message 94 of 94 , May 25, 2013
        Having read comments, and having almost been driven away by one obsessed with perfection, my concern is omission. I like the concept that was presented that included archers like myself. Limiting a guild to only those with period equipment is exclusionary and could end up fragmenting our community. I could, however, be misunderstanding your use of the term "period" and the inclusion of those with non-period equipment. IMHO, if this guild is to be proposed as a society-wide entity it can't exclude any portion of our community and be successful.

        Moire Ayres, archer