Re: [SCA-Archery] Period, non-period, and crossbows. WAS: Re: Crossbows vs Others

  • imgoingtophobos
    Message 1 of 94 , May 22, 2013
      And SCA archery is a group of concerned archers, therefore in this forum should be concerned with archery.  It should be left to other parts of the SCA to encourage everything not related to archery.

      Taran mac Derelei

      On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 7:17 PM, Jim Pickette <pickette@...> wrote:
      Primary concern is primarily up to the conserned.

      JoO

      ---- okami49 <baiorofred@...> wrote:
      > I agree that having a full, persona specific kit is deserving in and of itself of an award.  However, I feel as archers are primary concern should be with the archery and its related equipment and not with the garb or persona kit.  There are other avenues in the SCA that can promote that side of things.
      >
      > You bring up a good point about leading by example.  We can (and should) have period equipment available for newcomers to use, we can show them how to make and/or buy the right equipment, but as long as our experienced archers and marshals use modern equipment we will likely never see the proliferation of period gear.
      >
      > Part of the issue isn't just figuring out how to get more new archers to go period its also figuring out how to get established and experienced archers to become devoted period gear users.  The performance advantages, ease of use, availability, and more forgiving learning curve of modern equipment are big challenges to overcome when addressing this issue.
      >
      > There are plenty of experienced archers on this forum and many of you preferentially use modern gear at events/online score shoots/practices.  So, the question is what would be a nice incentive for you to consider the switch?
      >
      > -Eogan
      >
      > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "The Greys" <cogworks@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > While I'm all in favor of increasing the periodness of archery within the SCA I am not in favor of creating/changing rules to enforce it.  Archery is often the "door" through which new folks to this club enter.  I believe the best way to increase our periodness is by positive encouragement and leadership.  That is, lead by example.  Not everyone can afford a true ELB nor has the skill to make a bow.  I like the idea of kingdom/baronial awards encouraging periodness but would be strongly in favor if those awards also took into consideration the total kit fitting the persona and not just the equipment used to attain the qualifying score.  i.e. A period bow shot by someone wearing sunglasses and a cotton tunic over jeans and Nikes just doesn't cut it for me.
      > >
      > > My two cents worth,
      > > cog

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
          SCA-Archery-digest@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • pat_auten
      Message 94 of 94 , May 25, 2013
        Having read comments, and having almost been driven away by one obsessed with perfection, my concern is omission. I like the concept that was presented that included archers like myself. Limiting a guild to only those with period equipment is exclusionary and could end up fragmenting our community. I could, however, be misunderstanding your use of the term "period" and the inclusion of those with non-period equipment. IMHO, if this guild is to be proposed as a society-wide entity it can't exclude any portion of our community and be successful.

        Moire Ayres, archer