Re: [SCA-Archery] Period, non-period, and crossbows. WAS: Re: Crossbows vs Others

  • Ken Dolphin
    Message 1 of 94 , May 21, 2013
      Some time back, The then Baron of Lions Gate spoke to the archers. He said that when he observed people at banquets he could identify place and time. He would say to himself; Norse, Elizabethan, Burgundian, etc, etc, archer. The archers, as a group, were very easy to spot. He then informed the archers that he wanted to see garb that looked more period. We listened and are better dressed now.

      In the past few years our barony has acquired several crossbows and a horsebow for use by any of the archers. We also have archers who are willing to loan period style bows to others, partially so that these others can become part of our company of archers.

      As for incentive to use other equipment, I was first encouraged to shoot in our longbow category, as that is what I owned. I have subsequently bought a recurve, a modern crossbow, a horsebow, and a new longbow. I have also built a period longbow and a period crossbow. Over the archery season, I manage to get an average with each of these bows. This means that I have less practice time with each and so may never be number one in any of the categories.

      Ken

      Message 94 of 94 , May 25, 2013
        Having read comments, and having almost been driven away by one obsessed with perfection, my concern is omission. I like the concept that was presented that included archers like myself. Limiting a guild to only those with period equipment is exclusionary and could end up fragmenting our community. I could, however, be misunderstanding your use of the term "period" and the inclusion of those with non-period equipment. IMHO, if this guild is to be proposed as a society-wide entity it can't exclude any portion of our community and be successful.

        Moire Ayres, archer