Period, non-period, and crossbows. WAS: Re: Crossbows vs Others

  • The Greys
    Message 1 of 94 , May 21, 2013
      While I'm all in favor of increasing the periodness of archery within the SCA I am not in favor of creating/changing rules to enforce it. Archery is often the "door" through which new folks to this club enter. I believe the best way to increase our periodness is by positive encouragement and leadership. That is, lead by example. Not everyone can afford a true ELB nor has the skill to make a bow. I like the idea of kingdom/baronial awards encouraging periodness but would be strongly in favor if those awards also took into consideration the total kit fitting the persona and not just the equipment used to attain the qualifying score. i.e. A period bow shot by someone wearing sunglasses and a cotton tunic over jeans and Nikes just doesn't cut it for me.

      My two cents worth,
      cog
    • pat_auten
      Message 94 of 94 , May 25, 2013
        Having read comments, and having almost been driven away by one obsessed with perfection, my concern is omission. I like the concept that was presented that included archers like myself. Limiting a guild to only those with period equipment is exclusionary and could end up fragmenting our community. I could, however, be misunderstanding your use of the term "period" and the inclusion of those with non-period equipment. IMHO, if this guild is to be proposed as a society-wide entity it can't exclude any portion of our community and be successful.

        Moire Ayres, archer