Re: [SCA-Archery] Period, non-period, and crossbows. WAS: Re: Crossbows vs Others

  • John Edgerton
    Message 1 of 94 , May 19, 2013
      The Freon drum helms were banned because the drums were no longer made strong enough.  The early freon drum helms could turn a 32 cal. bullet. The later drums were changed to non-returable and were made of much thiner steel and did not hold up in combat. The original old drums are safer and stronger than current helm requirements, I still have one that was used for over thirty years as a loner at a weekly practice with no dents in the helm. They were banned because of safety concerns.

      If there were safety concerns over the use of modern SCA legal bows, only then would I see a need to ban them as well.  We need to find more ways of encouraging the use of period style equipment.

      Jon

      Message 94 of 94 , May 25, 2013
        Having read comments, and having almost been driven away by one obsessed with perfection, my concern is omission. I like the concept that was presented that included archers like myself. Limiting a guild to only those with period equipment is exclusionary and could end up fragmenting our community. I could, however, be misunderstanding your use of the term "period" and the inclusion of those with non-period equipment. IMHO, if this guild is to be proposed as a society-wide entity it can't exclude any portion of our community and be successful.

        Moire Ayres, archer