PVC bows photos

  • John Edgerton
    Message 1 of 8 , May 19, 2013
      I just added some additional photos of PVC bows by the Backyard Bowyer to the photo section of the group. If all you have even seen of PVC bows is the unformed and unpainted pipe with the lettering still on it, you should take a look at these photos which show what can be done to make PVC look period and attractive.

      Jon

    • Karl W. Evoy
      Message 2 of 8 , May 19, 2013
        Interesting. Though it begs the question: how much time, skill, tools and instruction would it take?
        Ancel

        Message 3 of 8 , May 19, 2013
          It takes little time, skill, tools, money or instruction to build pvc bows. If you go to

          you will find over 291 videos on pvc bow construction by the Backyard Bowyer.  There are even more videos by other archers on pvc bow construction on youtube. There are four books on Amazon on pvc bow construction as well, just search "pvc bows".

          Interesting. Though it begs the question: how much time, skill, tools and instruction would it take?
          Ancel

          I just added some additional photos of PVC bows by the Backyard Bowyer to the photo section of the group. If all you have even seen of PVC bows is the unformed and unpainted pipe with the lettering still on it, you should take a look at these photos which show what can be done to make PVC look period and attractive.

          Jon

        • James Koch
          Message 4 of 8 , May 19, 2013
            Ancel Et Al,

            Ancel's question begs another question, why not simply learn to make a bow of an SCA period material?  If you are going to use modern materials, you may as well purchase a ready made modern bow.  The same internet that makes it possible for us to easily find plans for making bows out of PVC, allows us to purchase dried wooden bow staves.  People in the SCA keep putting the car before the horse.

            Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

            Message 5 of 8 , May 19, 2013
              One major reason is cost. You can make one for well under five dollars. And they are easier to tiller than a self bow. I would encourage those with wood working skills to learn to make self bows, as you say there is much information on the internet on their DIY construction.

              Jon

              Message 6 of 8 , May 20, 2013
                I can see a PVC bow as a fun toy to play with, both making and using,
                But really, considering the limitations, in a real tournament or
                hunting, I'd still revert to a real bow, wither wood or
                fiber-glass/wood.

                But then, I do not consider compound bows with all those pulleys and
                such to be 'real' archery wither.

                --
                Rick Johnson
                http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com
                Message 7 of 8 , May 20, 2013
                  I've tried the PVC bows. They have very heavy outer limbs. The cast is poor, to say the least. If it gets someone out to the range, great! but let them try a fast bow so they can see the difference, and maybe they will use their mechanical know-how to make a wood bow instead.
                  As far as cost, you can make a very nice bow out of wood from the lumber store. The cost of a board is between $5 and $20. Try a search for "board bows" for the process. Its not for everyone. I am an expert woodworker. I have been making bows for a few years. I still don't get consistently good bows from one to the next. I'm still learning, but at the cost of a board I can afford to fail, and I always learn something from the process.
                  Concerning the wood prod crossbow: Go for it! I made one with a 35 inch bow of hickory. Its a board bow, shaved down to a single growth ring on the back. It draws 110 pounds at the nut and shoots well.

                  Edward le Kervere

                  --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, richard johnson <rikjohnson39@...> wrote:

                  > I can see a PVC bow as a fun toy to play with, both making and using,
                  > But really, considering the limitations, in a real tournament or
                  > hunting, I'd still revert to a real bow, wither wood or
                  > fiber-glass/wood.
                  >
                  > But then, I do not consider compound bows with all those pulleys and
                  > such to be 'real' archery wither.
                  >
                  > On 5/19/13, John Edgerton <sirjon1@...> wrote:
                  > > One major reason is cost. You can make one for well under five dollars. And
                  > > they
                  > > are easier to tiller than a self bow. I would encourage those with wood
                  > > working
                  > > skills to learn to make self bows, as you say there is much information on
                  > > the
                  > > internet on their DIY construction.
                  > >
                  > > Jon

                • blackwaterincorp
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 21, 2013
                    PVC bows are like any other its who made it. I have been making bows since l was 12 57 now. I have won three shoots with pvc. I make pvc fast. Have dropped three deer.
                    Like ling bowers don't want compound shooters in compatention. I make what orrson wants wood bow starts at $300 pvc $60. You can make really nice smooth shooting bows. lm going to the Philippines this summer if all l shot was wood air line breaks my bow lm screwed. You can always find pvc.
                    I'm not attacking wood. Own ove r 200 bows collected bought and made dolf bows all my life. But if you truely love the sport and l fo not. If you love the art l do. Then we better get frienflier to the guys coming in. Also money is getting hard. Last if lm shooting an infierer bow that's to your advantage. I take a lot of money off people with $1000 bear bows. The indians shot really crappy bows rarely over 35lbs.
                    I read all the time don't post. But remember our sport is dieing in places. Here in Okla. Growing up there were shoots every weekend ehen l was growing up now maybe one a month. Sorry for spelling don't see real well surgery eyes

                    Sent from my U.S. Cellular® Smartphone