Period, non-period, and crossbows. WAS: Re: Crossbows vs Others

  • okami49
    Message 1 of 94 , May 18, 2013
      [u]Period equipment[/u]
      The use of period gear is a topic near and dear to my heart. Really, its the intersection of two conflicting ideas: the encouragement and proliferation of period gear on the line and the "everyone can hop in" easily approached nature of SCA archery. That line of conflict, as Jon eluded to, is slowly dissolving away as entry level periodish gear becomes cheaper and more readily available.

      I don't think we are at the stage yet where we should make period gear a requirement, but I do think we should consider adding more incentives to their use.

      -Eogan

      > This could lead to an interesting discussion.
      >
      > The Society target archery rules allow the use of both non-period handbows and
      > crossbows. If one wishes to limit crossbows to period only, then one would have
      > to limit handbows to period only. This would mean no take-down bows with bolt
      > on limbs and no built up risers with cut-outs with built in arrow rests. This
      > would greatly reduce the number of archers shooting at our events. All handbows
      > are not required by the Society target archery rules to meet period
      > requirements. Kingdoms may make stricter rules regarding equipment such as
      > requiring only period gear. However, they can not reduce the rules and allow
      > compound bows and aluminum or fiberglass shafting or plastic vanes.
      >
      > The SCA target archery rules do not differentiate between period and non-period
      > bows. The period versus non-period division of bows is either a kingdom rule or
      > an IKAC rule. There is no SCA definition of "period gear".
      >
      > "October 2003
      > 3
      > Equipment Standards
      > General Standards
      > 1.
      > All equipment should be consistent with pre-17th century archery in looks and
      > function. The
      > construction, use, and knowledge of period-style equipment and its safe use are
      > among the primary
      > goals of SCA archery. However, the use of modern equipment is permitted provided
      > it meets the
      >
      > equipment standards spelled out below."
      >
      > 2.
      > Nothing in these rules shall be interpreted as preventing a Kingdom or branch
      > from making rules
      > requiring the use of period style equipment in a period division or a specific
      > competition. The rules
      >
      > allow the use of modern style bows, but do not require that all competitions
      > allow their use."
      >
      > Does the East allow modern recurves with take-down bolt-on limbs and center-cut
      > risers? If so, they are not requiring period style bows.
      >
      > The use of period style gear should be strongly encouraged at our events.
      > However, it is not required.
      >
      > When the SCA target archery rules were written (I was involved in this)
      > requiring only period style gear would have greatly limited the number of people
      > that could afford to purchase or make it at that time. However, since that time
      > the book "The Bowyer's Bible" with its information on lumber yard board bows is
      > now available for building inexpensive longbows. Eastern style "Horse bows" with
      > fiberglass limbs can be purchased for a reasonable price. And just recently the
      > use of PVC water pipe, "The Impossible Bow", for building inexpensive period
      > looking bows is being tried by some archers. So I think that is reasonable to
      > consider that we more strongly encourage the use of period style gear. We should
> [...]
    • pat_auten
      Message 94 of 94 , May 25, 2013
        Having read comments, and having almost been driven away by one obsessed with perfection, my concern is omission. I like the concept that was presented that included archers like myself. Limiting a guild to only those with period equipment is exclusionary and could end up fragmenting our community. I could, however, be misunderstanding your use of the term "period" and the inclusion of those with non-period equipment. IMHO, if this guild is to be proposed as a society-wide entity it can't exclude any portion of our community and be successful.

        Moire Ayres, archer