Re: [SCA-Archery] Crossbows vs Others

  • talonoak
    Message 1 of 94 , May 16, 2013
      This is a link to the SCA rules for archery and the crossbow starts on page 5.
      http://www.sca.org/officers/marshal/docs/t_archery/target_archery_rules.pdf

       As you can see from this, it is somewhat vague, but it covers most everything you could want to know. Specifically it says that rear sights are allowed, no compound or break cocking styles allowed, an archery marshal can prohibit the use of a crossbow that they deem to have too heavy a draw to be safe, but it says nothing about the type of string release or trigger that must be used. I think that has been decided by custom, since we are using period style crossbows, and by the differing kingdoms. In fact, I think several of the kingdoms have elaborated on these rules.

      I use a period style crossbow with a period string release because that is the type I like (I had to switch to a crossbow because of problems with my left arm). There are at least 3 types of string releases that I know of and they are shown on Alchem's web site. I use a thumb release (similar to a notch lock and not shown on Alcem's web site), because I copied it from a combat archery crossbow that my wife used and I like it. I want to build one with a rolling nut sometime in the future because I think that will give me a smoother release, with the standard trigger release that most crossbows use. However, I have seen a link to an ancient trigger release that was first used in China, again, something that modern crossbows use.

      In all of the crossbows I have seen, I have only seen one that has an actual safety. With that one, you have to press in the safety before you can shoot the crossbow. I may try to work something out for when I build my rolling nut crossbow, just to see if I can.

      Eoin

      From: William Davis <willied0296@...>
      Sender: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 06:56:17 -0700 (PDT)
      To: <SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com>
      ReplyTo: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [SCA-Archery] Crossbows vs Others

      I know this has been hashed out numerous times, in numerous places, but this again brings up a point.  Why are crossbows allowed to use peep sights, rifle stocks, pistol grips, and modern trigger releases, while aside from modern lamination, handbows are still required to meet period requirements (no mechanical releases, no sights other than elevation marks on the riser, and even the elevation mark issue gets argued in places)?  That said, one other question, is this perhaps strictly an EK thing, or does the above apply in other Kingdoms as well?
      I'm sure there are those who will find some way to justify it,

      Let the fireworks begin.

      Gwilym

      Message 94 of 94 , May 25, 2013
        Having read comments, and having almost been driven away by one obsessed with perfection, my concern is omission. I like the concept that was presented that included archers like myself. Limiting a guild to only those with period equipment is exclusionary and could end up fragmenting our community. I could, however, be misunderstanding your use of the term "period" and the inclusion of those with non-period equipment. IMHO, if this guild is to be proposed as a society-wide entity it can't exclude any portion of our community and be successful.

        Moire Ayres, archer