Re: [SCA-Archery] Crossbows vs Others

  • jdrago75
    Message 1 of 94 , May 16, 2013
      Here in Calontir you can only use a rear site and rifle stocks, pistol grips and modern releases are not allowed.

      -William Douglas

      On May 16, 2013, at 8:56 AM, William Davis <willied0296@...> wrote:

      I know this has been hashed out numerous times, in numerous places, but this again brings up a point.  Why are crossbows allowed to use peep sights, rifle stocks, pistol grips, and modern trigger releases, while aside from modern lamination, handbows are still required to meet period requirements (no mechanical releases, no sights other than elevation marks on the riser, and even the elevation mark issue gets argued in places)?  That said, one other question, is this perhaps strictly an EK thing, or does the above apply in other Kingdoms as well?
      I'm sure there are those who will find some way to justify it,

      Let the fireworks begin.

      Gwilym

      Message 94 of 94 , May 25, 2013
        Having read comments, and having almost been driven away by one obsessed with perfection, my concern is omission. I like the concept that was presented that included archers like myself. Limiting a guild to only those with period equipment is exclusionary and could end up fragmenting our community. I could, however, be misunderstanding your use of the term "period" and the inclusion of those with non-period equipment. IMHO, if this guild is to be proposed as a society-wide entity it can't exclude any portion of our community and be successful.

        Moire Ayres, archer