Re: Who shoots "one eye shut?" Both eyes?

  • ladyjohannatrewpeny
    Message 1 of 28 , May 15, 2013
      I have the left eye dominance and astigmatism also. I have not succeeded at left handed shooting, so far, so I am still a right handed shooter. I had several bits of information that were helpful to me given from various sources which have improved my instinctive shooting.
      1) Don't keep your dominant eye closed because it can mess up your dominance and also you won't have a depth/distance guage.
      2) Start with new targets/distances by putting the point of the arrow on the target's center.
      Which target? Yes, I see two even at 20yds.
      I have found that if I close my left eye as I draw and force my right eye to KNOW which is the 'Real Center' and then open both eyes before firing I am usually more 'on target'. On a good day I can be Great.... but conversely on a bad day a newbie can outshoot me. For me it's about how tired/overwhelmed my brain is and if it can handle the mental exercise finding the right circle. I've also found I can shoot at almost ANY target that Isn't a circle with more accuracy. Bah Royal Rounds and IKACs.

      On the 'what did they do about closing eyes back in the Historical Period we're working on...... check out this snippet of one of my favorite Historicals. (Toxophilus found in Archery Library - links posted by SirJon here previously)

      From Roger Ascham's 'Toxophilus' 1545
      "Some shooteth his head forward, as though he would bite the mark ; another stareth with his eyes, as though they should fly out; another winketh with one eye and looketh with the other; some make a face with writhing their mouth and countenance so, as though they were doing you wot what; another bleareth out his tongue ; another biteth his lips; another holdeth his neck awry......(after a few dozen other characteristics, which are well noted, so read them for a laugh and an education on what to avoid)
      .......Now imagine an archer that is clean without all these faults, and I am sure every man would be delighted to see him shoot."

      Have fun becoming the Delight of the Archery Range!
      Sweeps a curtsy,
      Lady Johanna

      PS> We have done some both eyes shut, with spotters... it's very fun!
    • Oscar Van Loveren 000724 recon
      Message 2 of 28 , May 17, 2013
        As a professional pilot of 26 years I have to call urban
        legend on that part. Yes, there are people with exceptional
        eyesight. Pilots are 20/20 correctable. No more, no less.

        Goerijs.

        > I think Stan Lee did a thing on his Real Life Super
        > Heroes show about people with extraordinary eyesight.
        > The program said that pilots and some other folks simply
        > see much better than the average person because they have
        > more rods and cones. Byron Ferguson was one of those
        > people in the show. There is a YouTube of Byron shooting
        > out the flame of a candle. On his first shot he
        > accomplishes the task but then says "Well I missed with
        > that one. It was the fletches that hit the flame." It
        > takes pretty good eyes to actually see that! In this
        > thread some have discussed wearing glasses and having
        > damaged eyes. Perhaps one major factor in shooting
        > extraordinarily well is having extraordinary vision. I
        > know for myself when folks say "Aim for the little X in
        > the middle of the target" at 40 yards I respond with
        > "There's a target at 40 yards?" :-) .
        >
        > You just can't hit what you can't see.
        >
        > cog

        http://www.nni.com/