Re: Who shoots "one eye shut?" Both eyes?

  • Rusty McMillan
    Message 1 of 28 , May 13, 2013
      I am left eye dominant, but that is due in part to double vision caused by the tendancy of my right eye to drift in and down. As a result I close the left eye while I shoot right handed. I am hoping to have the wandering eye surgically improved, and then maybe I'll open both eyes for better depth perception.

      Randal

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "aelric_southlake" <magnetcoil@...> wrote:

      > Greetings, strange question (?) here...
      >
      > Was talking to a guy who once shot traditional at a national level, and he mentioned that he shoots with one eye shut. It dawned on me that I had never tried that, nor had even THOUGHT about it - which is weird because I shoot rifles with one eye shut.
      >
      > I am completely self taught as far as archery goes (need some real lessons), and was wondering if it isn't just common sense, or something, to shoot with one eye, or if that's some kind of "higher level" technique.
      >
      > I tried it earlier today with unpleasant results, ha ha ha. I think, now that I've been doing it "my" way, it'd be a hard adjustment.
      >
      > How do you all out there shoot - one eye or two? Anyone have the skinny on the rhymes or reasons for either way? Does it matter?
      >
      > As always, thanks for any replies,
      > Aelric, West K.

    • John Edgerton
      Message 2 of 28 , May 13, 2013
        I am right handed and right eye dominant. However, I shoot left handed due a damaged right eye. I have learned to shoot with both eyes open.

        Jon, West

        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "aelric_southlake" <magnetcoil@...> wrote:

        > Greetings, strange question (?) here...
        >
        > Was talking to a guy who once shot traditional at a national level, and he mentioned that he shoots with one eye shut. It dawned on me that I had never tried that, nor had even THOUGHT about it - which is weird because I shoot rifles with one eye shut.
        >
        > I am completely self taught as far as archery goes (need some real lessons), and was wondering if it isn't just common sense, or something, to shoot with one eye, or if that's some kind of "higher level" technique.
        >
        > I tried it earlier today with unpleasant results, ha ha ha. I think, now that I've been doing it "my" way, it'd be a hard adjustment.
        >
        > How do you all out there shoot - one eye or two? Anyone have the skinny on the rhymes or reasons for either way? Does it matter?
        >
        > As always, thanks for any replies,
        > Aelric, West K.

      • Taslen
        Message 3 of 28 , May 13, 2013
          Cleve,

          Can you write up something for the current practice schedule so I can get it into the QandQ?

          Gaelen

        • edmund_penyngton
          Message 4 of 28 , May 13, 2013
            I have been taught to shoot with both eyes open since the first time I picked up a bow as a little boy.

            I am naturally left handed, and right-eye dominant, so I shoot a right handed bow. I shoot strictly "instinctive" (for lack of a better term), not gap shooting or some other "aiming" method. I try to follow Byron Ferguson's method he calls "Become the Arrow." This involves focusing entirely on the target itself, rather than the tip of the arrow in relation to the target.

            As such, both eyes open is *absolutely* critical in this method. When you close one eye your depth perception is somewhat altered, which would make a huge difference. I would imagine, with sufficient practice, it would be possible to overcome this, but considering how long I've shot with both eyes open... I doubt I'll be switching any time soon.

            In fact, the only time I recall shooting a bow "one eye closed" was during my "confused teenage years" when I shot one of those modern contraptions that pass for bows these days... You know, the ones with "training wheels"? ^^

            --Edmund of Penyngton

            Live Weapons Marshal

            Kingdom of Gleann Abhann
            Shire of Coill Fhionnabhann

            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "aelric_southlake" <magnetcoil@...> wrote:

            > Greetings, strange question (?) here...
            >
            > Was talking to a guy who once shot traditional at a national level, and he mentioned that he shoots with one eye shut. It dawned on me that I had never tried that, nor had even THOUGHT about it - which is weird because I shoot rifles with one eye shut.
            >
            > I am completely self taught as far as archery goes (need some real lessons), and was wondering if it isn't just common sense, or something, to shoot with one eye, or if that's some kind of "higher level" technique.
            >
            > I tried it earlier today with unpleasant results, ha ha ha. I think, now that I've been doing it "my" way, it'd be a hard adjustment.
            >
            > How do you all out there shoot - one eye or two? Anyone have the skinny on the rhymes or reasons for either way? Does it matter?
            >
            > As always, thanks for any replies,
            > Aelric, West K.

          • Oscar Van Loveren 000724 recon
            Message 5 of 28 , May 13, 2013
              I would like to add something to this discussion. I too
              have read Byron's book and agree that with a LOT, and I
              mean a LOT of practice one can learn to "be the arrow" and
              hit anything that moves without knowing the distance and
              without thinking about it.

              It is how most, if not all of our Grand Masters shoot.

              That said, not many have the time dedicated to learning to
              shoot like that. Gap shooting gives better results
              initially and quicker. I will accept the argument that you
              will never become someone who can shoot at anything
              anytime, but face it, most of our targets are at
              20-30-40-50-60 feet......

              So, if you have limited time, and want to become a
              reasonable shooter faster, and realize that you will never
              shoot 110+......

              Food for thought.

              http://www.nni.com/
            • Cleve Johnson
              Message 6 of 28 , May 13, 2013
                Barony of Sternfeld (Constellation Region, Middle Kingdom) has practice Wednesday eveninging 7:00 to 9:00 PM at Yurts of America, 4375 Sellers Street, Indianapolis, IN 46226.  Outdoor practices will be announced on the Sternfeld Facebook page and on the Yahoo group page.  Come have some fun!

                --
                Lord Eadric of Grenefelda
                Barony of Sternfeld Archery Captain

              • edmund_penyngton
                Message 7 of 28 , May 13, 2013
                  It was not my intention to sound as if I was belittling Gap Shooting or similar methods, by no means. I've used them before, and they do work wonderfully for what they are intended to do. Gap Shooting is by and far the method I suggest for beginners in barebow shooting. I was simply offering my reasons for using both eyes.

                  Also, while I subscribe to Mister Ferguson's method and strive to follow it, I in no way claim to be a "Master" of said technique. There are days I'd consider myself a novice at best. *Decades* of consistent practice would be needed to reach Byron's level, which is no doubt the reason he is considered the greatest longbow archer alive.

                  While I admit that I consider Byron Ferguson an inspiration and role model for my archery studies, I hold *no* delusions of matching his skill in my lifetime. My personal aspirations in the medium term are become proficient enough to reach the skill level needed to hit my mark without giving so much as a thought to the distance. And in the long term, I intend to one day post scores in the 100+ range you spoke of...

                  This little exchange reminds me of the words of Rodger Aschram in Toxophilous: "In all deeds there are two points to be marked, possibility and excellency, but chiefly a wise man must follow and lay hand on possibility, for fear he lose both."

                  --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Oscar Van Loveren 000724 recon" <oscar@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > > national level, and he mentioned that he shoots with one
                  > > eye shut. It dawned on me that I had never tried that,
                  > > nor had even THOUGHT about it - which is weird because I
                  > > shoot rifles with one eye shut.
                  > > >
                  > > > I am completely self taught as far as archery goes
                  > > (need some real lessons), and was wondering if it isn't
                  > > just common sense, or something, to shoot with one eye,
                  > > or if that's some kind of "higher level" technique.
                  > > >
                  > > > I tried it earlier today with unpleasant results, ha ha
                  > > ha. I think, now that I've been doing it "my" way, it'd
                  > > be a hard adjustment.
                  > > >
                  > > > How do you all out there shoot - one eye or two?
                  > > Anyone have the skinny on the rhymes or reasons for
                  > > either way? Does it matter?
                  > > >
                  > > > As always, thanks for any replies,
                  > > > Aelric, West K.

                  > Web mail provided by NuNet, Inc. The Premier National provider.

                • aelric_southlake
                  Message 8 of 28 , May 13, 2013
                    Wow... Cool. THANK YOU, ALL OF YOU, who took the time to weigh in.

                    Phew! I'm glad to hear I don't have to stop shooting with both eyes open. Sounds like there are good reasons and rationales for both.

                    Edmund, you struck a chord twice when you (1) mentioned Byron Ferguson (I've watched some of his stuff, in awe, on Youtube, and have heard of the "Become the Arrow" thing - so I'm happy to hear HE shoots 2 eyes), and (2) when you described compound bows as having "training wheels." ha ha ha

                    I thought I was being whitty & original when I once referred to compounds as having "training wheels." Was happy and laughed out loud when I saw that. {Note: I own one, and see the reasons and benefits of compounds - I've just chosen not to go down that road anymore}

                    I shoot lefty, do everything left-handed, and am pretty sure I am left eye dominant - my left eye is MUCH stronger than my right eye. But now I'm wondering if that necessarily means it is the dominant eye. Oh well, even if it isn't, and that it might keep me from ever being any good, there is NO WAY I could switch hands at this point... I am TOO old, and TOO set in my ways, ha ha ha

                    BUT all of this has been VERY interesting.

                    Thanks,
                    Aelric, West K.
                  • The Greys
                    Message 9 of 28 , May 14, 2013
                      I think Stan Lee did a thing on his Real Life Super Heroes show about people with extraordinary eyesight. The program said that pilots and some other folks simply see much better than the average person because they have more rods and cones. Byron Ferguson was one of those people in the show. There is a YouTube of Byron shooting out the flame of a candle. On his first shot he accomplishes the task but then says "Well I missed with that one. It was the fletches that hit the flame." It takes pretty good eyes to actually see that! In this thread some have discussed wearing glasses and having damaged eyes. Perhaps one major factor in shooting extraordinarily well is having extraordinary vision. I know for myself when folks say "Aim for the little X in the middle of the target" at 40 yards I respond with "There's a target at 40 yards?" :-) .

                      You just can't hit what you can't see.

                      cog
                    • Doug Copley
                      Message 10 of 28 , May 14, 2013
                        Just FYI - Samuel ap Dewi (Ansteorra) shoots GAP and shoots 120+

                        Vincenti

                        http://www.nni.com/

                        <*> Your email settings:
                            Individual Email | Traditional

                        <*> To change settings online go to:
                            (Yahoo! ID required)

                        <*> To change settings via email:
                            SCA-Archery-digest@yahoogroups.com

                            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      • Taslen
                        Message 11 of 28 , May 14, 2013
                          Cleve,

                          Got it!

                          Gaelen

                          Message 12 of 28 , May 14, 2013
                            Just a side note for kingdoms using the Scores Site.  Any Marshal with an account can enter and edit information about their local practices, the forms can be found under the Marshal Tools => Practices menu.  This information is then displayed to the public under the menu General Info => Local Practices.  Marshals can update their practices any time they wish, so you could use it to display cancelled dates as well.

                            Jonathas
                            Scores Site DBA

                            On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 11:06 AM, Taslen <taslen2000@...> wrote:

                            Cleve,

                            Got it!

                            Gaelen

                            Message 13 of 28 , May 14, 2013
                              Jonathas,

                              If you want i can upload what I put together once it's ready we need practices society wide!

                              Gaelen

                              Barony of Sternfeld (Constellation Region, Middle Kingdom) has practice Wednesday eveninging 7:00 to 9:00 PM at Yurts of America, 4375 Sellers Street, Indianapolis, IN 46226.  Outdoor practices will be announced on the Sternfeld Facebook page and on the Yahoo group page.  Come have some fun!

                              On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 6:10 PM, Taslen <taslen2000@...> wrote:

                              Cleve,

                              Can you write up something for the current practice schedule so I can get it into the QandQ?

                              Gaelen

                              --
                              Lord Eadric of Grenefelda
                              Barony of Sternfeld Archery Captain
                              Order of the Dragon's Barb, AoA
                              Order of the Golden Tower, Orion's Belt, Award of the Nova, Yeoman
                               Pandus planto populus mico.
                              (Archers make people quiver.)

                            • ladyjohannatrewpeny
                              Message 14 of 28 , May 15, 2013
                                I have the left eye dominance and astigmatism also. I have not succeeded at left handed shooting, so far, so I am still a right handed shooter. I had several bits of information that were helpful to me given from various sources which have improved my instinctive shooting.
                                1) Don't keep your dominant eye closed because it can mess up your dominance and also you won't have a depth/distance guage.
                                2) Start with new targets/distances by putting the point of the arrow on the target's center.
                                Which target? Yes, I see two even at 20yds.
                                I have found that if I close my left eye as I draw and force my right eye to KNOW which is the 'Real Center' and then open both eyes before firing I am usually more 'on target'. On a good day I can be Great.... but conversely on a bad day a newbie can outshoot me. For me it's about how tired/overwhelmed my brain is and if it can handle the mental exercise finding the right circle. I've also found I can shoot at almost ANY target that Isn't a circle with more accuracy. Bah Royal Rounds and IKACs.

                                On the 'what did they do about closing eyes back in the Historical Period we're working on...... check out this snippet of one of my favorite Historicals. (Toxophilus found in Archery Library - links posted by SirJon here previously)

                                From Roger Ascham's 'Toxophilus' 1545
                                "Some shooteth his head forward, as though he would bite the mark ; another stareth with his eyes, as though they should fly out; another winketh with one eye and looketh with the other; some make a face with writhing their mouth and countenance so, as though they were doing you wot what; another bleareth out his tongue ; another biteth his lips; another holdeth his neck awry......(after a few dozen other characteristics, which are well noted, so read them for a laugh and an education on what to avoid)
                                .......Now imagine an archer that is clean without all these faults, and I am sure every man would be delighted to see him shoot."

                                Have fun becoming the Delight of the Archery Range!
                                Sweeps a curtsy,
                                Lady Johanna

                                Message 15 of 28 , May 17, 2013
                                  As a professional pilot of 26 years I have to call urban
                                  legend on that part. Yes, there are people with exceptional
                                  eyesight. Pilots are 20/20 correctable. No more, no less.

                                  Goerijs.

                                  > I think Stan Lee did a thing on his Real Life Super
                                  > Heroes show about people with extraordinary eyesight.
                                  > The program said that pilots and some other folks simply
                                  > see much better than the average person because they have
                                  > more rods and cones. Byron Ferguson was one of those
                                  > people in the show. There is a YouTube of Byron shooting
                                  > out the flame of a candle. On his first shot he
                                  > accomplishes the task but then says "Well I missed with
                                  > that one. It was the fletches that hit the flame." It
                                  > takes pretty good eyes to actually see that! In this
                                  > thread some have discussed wearing glasses and having
                                  > damaged eyes. Perhaps one major factor in shooting
                                  > extraordinarily well is having extraordinary vision. I
                                  > know for myself when folks say "Aim for the little X in
                                  > the middle of the target" at 40 yards I respond with
                                  > "There's a target at 40 yards?" :-) .
                                  >
                                  > You just can't hit what you can't see.
                                  >
                                  > cog

                                  http://www.nni.com/