Re: Helical vs straight fletching

  • i_griffen
    Message 1 of 8 , May 9, 2013
      Yes, agree it was an interesting article. But, This testing was don using Compound bows and Carbon arrows with a release. So if this same testing was done using Traditional Bows, wooden arrows, with fingers. The results would be closer t the way we shoot.

      IG

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "tomjulessca" <tomjulessca@...> wrote:

      > Excellent article and great advice - thanks Edward!
      >

      > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "lekervere" <edwoodguy@> wrote:
      > >
      > > This link explores the question with some reasonably good methods
      > > http://archeryreport.com/2011/07/helical-straight-fletch-accuracy-repeatability/
      > > I'd prefer a larger number of shots before drawing conclusions. Notice that all the shots are on the paper, but the helical fletching shows a slightly tighter group. Both have some shots in the outer zone.
      > > For beginning archers, helical fletching will not help to put you on the paper. Practice will. I think only expert archers are likely to get a noticeable benefit from the helical fletching. There are so many things that can keep a shot off the mark, mostly matters of form. Making the arrow spin will not help with any of them.
      > >
      > > Edward le Kervere
      > >
      > > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "tomjulessca" <tomjulessca@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > In response to my question about buying a fletching jig, and merits of helical vs straight, Carolus said, "I think you have better control with the straight because you can adjust the angle more precisely. I think I can even get better spin with it."
      > > >
      > > > For myself, I am inclined to go with straight because it is period. However, I will also be making arrows for my wife who has only held a bow twice. If helical aids accuracy, I would like to give her that advantage. Anyone have an opinion? Particularly, if there is an advantage, is it slight, moderate, or what? Thanks.
      > > >
      > > > Tom

    • lekervere
      Message 2 of 8 , May 9, 2013
        In this case the use of a compound bow with a mechanical release serves to make the test more consistent, and therefore more relevant. The only way to make it more consistent would be to use a mechanical shooting machine that completely eliminated the human shooter. The test shows that if all other things are reasonably consistent, the spiral fletching does contribute to a somewhat tighter grouping. I still think there are very few of us with form so consistent that this would make a difference in our scores.

        Edward le Kervere

        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "i_griffen" <i_griffen@...> wrote:

        > Yes, agree it was an interesting article. But, This testing was don using Compound bows and Carbon arrows with a release. So if this same testing was done using Traditional Bows, wooden arrows, with fingers. The results would be closer t the way we shoot.
        >

        > IG
        >

        > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "tomjulessca" <tomjulessca@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Excellent article and great advice - thanks Edward!
        > >

        > > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "lekervere" <edwoodguy@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > This link explores the question with some reasonably good methods
        > > > http://archeryreport.com/2011/07/helical-straight-fletch-accuracy-repeatability/
        > > > I'd prefer a larger number of shots before drawing conclusions. Notice that all the shots are on the paper, but the helical fletching shows a slightly tighter group. Both have some shots in the outer zone.
        > > > For beginning archers, helical fletching will not help to put you on the paper. Practice will. I think only expert archers are likely to get a noticeable benefit from the helical fletching. There are so many things that can keep a shot off the mark, mostly matters of form. Making the arrow spin will not help with any of them.
        > > >
        > > > Edward le Kervere

      • The Greys
        Message 3 of 8 , May 10, 2013
          My personal experience tends to agree with Edward here. I've been making my own arrows for some time. I've tried straight, diagonal and helicoil fletching. I've gone so far was to weigh each finished arrow and code them to within 25 grain weights. The thought process was, if I make 18 - 24 arrows in one batch but only need 6 for a Royal Round use the 6 that are closest in weight. I've even done the "mark each shaft, aim at same point, record where shaft actually hits", then use the most consistent of the batch process. After all of this I have concluded that while having good arrows does count, improved technique and lots of practice goes much farther. There is also the basic fact that ALL arrows turn in flight. Straight fletched the least, helicoil the most.

          cog