Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Which Bitzenburger do you recommend

  • Carolus
    Message 1 of 11 , May 6 11:06 PM
      Tom,
      In fact I think you have better control with the straight because you can adjust the angle more precisely.  I think I can even get better spin with it.  The helical is pretty critical in its optimal setting.

      Try making some sets of 4 arrows with different fletching setups to try them out and find what works best for you.  If one set turns out really bad, you can strip and re-fletch it.  I find this gives me an end of 3 with a spare for testing.
      Carolus
      On 5/6/2013 8:17 PM, tomjulessca wrote:

      Carolus,

      If there isn't much difference I do prefer the aesthetic of the straight. Thanks for the input.

      Tom

      > You can't get better. I've got 2 of these with straight and left
      > helical clamps. Some say you should match the helical twist to your
      > shooting style; if you shoot right-handed, use right helical, if
      > left-handed, left helical. A few say use the reverse. I don't think it
      > matters. Personally, I prefer the straight for most uses. I can set the
      > twist either direction that way. Some say you get better rifling with
      > helical but I don't rally see a difference. FWIW, I've been shooting
      > nearly 50 years, both SCA and Olympic form including national level
      > competition and I've made a lot of arrows over the years.
      > On 5/5/2013 6:25 PM, tomjulessca wrote:
      > >
      > > Relatively new to archery (now shooting a 45# longbow) and have never
      > > made an arrow. The two dozen arrows I purchased have (had) helical
      > > fletching.
      > >
      > > After reading lots of reviews and other research, I am going to buy a
      > > Bitzenburger jig. However, none of my research described comparison
      > > between using a helical jig & clamp vs a straight jig & left hand clamp.
      > >
      > > Any input regarding relative merit will be appreciated. Thanks.
      > >
      > > Tom

    • lekervere
      Message 2 of 11 , May 6 11:17 PM
        Don't you know there's a war on?
        There is no practice in Windy Meads this Sunday, due to the Mists-Cynagua War and Mothers' Day activities. That means I won't be there with the loaner equipment. On the other hand, its a public park, so there is no reason you guys can't meet there for some practice.
        I will hold practice on Sunday 5/19. The following weekend, 5/24 to 5/27 is Cynagua Coronet Tournament, and I will have an archery range open at the fairgrounds in Quincy.

        Edward le Kervere
        Minister of the Bow for Cynagua

        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "aelric_southlake" <magnetcoil@...> wrote:

        > Been trying to make it to a Windymeads practice myself. Just went there a couple weekends ago for the "hunt," which was cool. We live in Concord now, so it's a bit of a drive - but it's the only "SCA" practice around here now (I think).
        >
        > Well, that settles it, I was thinking of trying to arrange some kind of open "arrow making" night at my place, to share ideas and tricks, and inspire those interested in giving it a try, or to help motivate one another kinda-thing. I'll redouble my efforts toward that...
        >
        > I'll try to get to Windymeads this coming Sunday, and seek you out.
        >
        > ~ A
        >
        > --- In SCA-Archery "tomjulessca" wrote:
        > >
        > > Aelric,
        > >
        > > Thanks for all the good info. As it happens I am in the West and recently started attending the Windymeads practices. Once I get started I may take you up on guidance through the process - thanks.
        > >
        > > Tom

      • aelric_southlake
        Message 3 of 11 , May 7 8:44 AM
          Ha ha ha... oh yeah, Right. Well... maybe the weekend after THAT! Thanks Edward!

          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "lekervere" <edwoodguy@...> wrote:

          > Don't you know there's a war on?
          > There is no practice in Windy Meads this Sunday, due to the Mists-Cynagua War and Mothers' Day...
        • tomjulessca
          Message 4 of 11 , May 7 9:10 PM
            Aelric,

            I am in Dixon but if you hold an arrow making workshop in Concord I will be there if at all possible.

            tom

            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "aelric_southlake" <magnetcoil@...> wrote:

            > Been trying to make it to a Windymeads practice myself. Just went there a couple weekends ago for the "hunt," which was cool. We live in Concord now, so it's a bit of a drive - but it's the only "SCA" practice around here now (I think).
            >
            > Well, that settles it, I was thinking of trying to arrange some kind of open "arrow making" night at my place, to share ideas and tricks, and inspire those interested in giving it a try, or to help motivate one another kinda-thing. I'll redouble my efforts toward that...
            >
            > I'll try to get to Windymeads this coming Sunday, and seek you out.
            >
            > ~ A
            >
            > --- In SCA-Archery "tomjulessca" wrote:
            > >
            > > Aelric,
            > >
            > > Thanks for all the good info. As it happens I am in the West and recently started attending the Windymeads practices. Once I get started I may take you up on guidance through the process - thanks.
            > >
            > > Tom

          • tomjulessca
            Message 5 of 11 , May 7 9:12 PM
              I am off to Eureka this weekend but should be at practice on the 19th.

              Tom