Re: Which Bitzenburger do you recommend

  • aelric_southlake
    Message 1 of 11 , May 6, 2013
      Been trying to make it to a Windymeads practice myself. Just went there a couple weekends ago for the "hunt," which was cool. We live in Concord now, so it's a bit of a drive - but it's the only "SCA" practice around here now (I think).

      Well, that settles it, I was thinking of trying to arrange some kind of open "arrow making" night at my place, to share ideas and tricks, and inspire those interested in giving it a try, or to help motivate one another kinda-thing. I'll redouble my efforts toward that...

      I'll try to get to Windymeads this coming Sunday, and seek you out.

      ~ A

      --- In SCA-Archery "tomjulessca" wrote:

      > Aelric,
      >
      > Thanks for all the good info. As it happens I am in the West and recently started attending the Windymeads practices. Once I get started I may take you up on guidance through the process - thanks.
      >
      > Tom
    • Carolus
      Message 2 of 11 , May 6, 2013
        Tom,
        In fact I think you have better control with the straight because you can adjust the angle more precisely.  I think I can even get better spin with it.  The helical is pretty critical in its optimal setting.

        Try making some sets of 4 arrows with different fletching setups to try them out and find what works best for you.  If one set turns out really bad, you can strip and re-fletch it.  I find this gives me an end of 3 with a spare for testing.
        Carolus
        On 5/6/2013 8:17 PM, tomjulessca wrote:

        Carolus,

        If there isn't much difference I do prefer the aesthetic of the straight. Thanks for the input.

        Tom

        > You can't get better. I've got 2 of these with straight and left
        > helical clamps. Some say you should match the helical twist to your
        > shooting style; if you shoot right-handed, use right helical, if
        > left-handed, left helical. A few say use the reverse. I don't think it
        > matters. Personally, I prefer the straight for most uses. I can set the
        > twist either direction that way. Some say you get better rifling with
        > helical but I don't rally see a difference. FWIW, I've been shooting
        > nearly 50 years, both SCA and Olympic form including national level
        > competition and I've made a lot of arrows over the years.
        > On 5/5/2013 6:25 PM, tomjulessca wrote:
        > >
        > > Relatively new to archery (now shooting a 45# longbow) and have never
        > > made an arrow. The two dozen arrows I purchased have (had) helical
        > > fletching.
        > >
        > > After reading lots of reviews and other research, I am going to buy a
        > > Bitzenburger jig. However, none of my research described comparison
        > > between using a helical jig & clamp vs a straight jig & left hand clamp.
        > >
        > > Any input regarding relative merit will be appreciated. Thanks.
        > >
        > > Tom

      • lekervere
        Message 3 of 11 , May 6, 2013
          Don't you know there's a war on?
          There is no practice in Windy Meads this Sunday, due to the Mists-Cynagua War and Mothers' Day activities. That means I won't be there with the loaner equipment. On the other hand, its a public park, so there is no reason you guys can't meet there for some practice.
          I will hold practice on Sunday 5/19. The following weekend, 5/24 to 5/27 is Cynagua Coronet Tournament, and I will have an archery range open at the fairgrounds in Quincy.

          Edward le Kervere
          Minister of the Bow for Cynagua

          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "aelric_southlake" <magnetcoil@...> wrote:

          > Been trying to make it to a Windymeads practice myself. Just went there a couple weekends ago for the "hunt," which was cool. We live in Concord now, so it's a bit of a drive - but it's the only "SCA" practice around here now (I think).
          >
          > Well, that settles it, I was thinking of trying to arrange some kind of open "arrow making" night at my place, to share ideas and tricks, and inspire those interested in giving it a try, or to help motivate one another kinda-thing. I'll redouble my efforts toward that...
          >
          > I'll try to get to Windymeads this coming Sunday, and seek you out.
          >
          > ~ A
          >
          > --- In SCA-Archery "tomjulessca" wrote:
          > >
          > > Aelric,
          > >
          > > Thanks for all the good info. As it happens I am in the West and recently started attending the Windymeads practices. Once I get started I may take you up on guidance through the process - thanks.
          > >
          > > Tom

        • aelric_southlake
          Message 4 of 11 , May 7, 2013
            Ha ha ha... oh yeah, Right. Well... maybe the weekend after THAT! Thanks Edward!

            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "lekervere" <edwoodguy@...> wrote:

            > Don't you know there's a war on?
            > There is no practice in Windy Meads this Sunday, due to the Mists-Cynagua War and Mothers' Day...
          • tomjulessca
            Message 5 of 11 , May 7, 2013
              Aelric,

              I am in Dixon but if you hold an arrow making workshop in Concord I will be there if at all possible.

              tom

              --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "aelric_southlake" <magnetcoil@...> wrote:

              > Been trying to make it to a Windymeads practice myself. Just went there a couple weekends ago for the "hunt," which was cool. We live in Concord now, so it's a bit of a drive - but it's the only "SCA" practice around here now (I think).
              >
              > Well, that settles it, I was thinking of trying to arrange some kind of open "arrow making" night at my place, to share ideas and tricks, and inspire those interested in giving it a try, or to help motivate one another kinda-thing. I'll redouble my efforts toward that...
              >
              > I'll try to get to Windymeads this coming Sunday, and seek you out.
              >
              > ~ A
              >
              > --- In SCA-Archery "tomjulessca" wrote:
              > >
              > > Aelric,
              > >
              > > Thanks for all the good info. As it happens I am in the West and recently started attending the Windymeads practices. Once I get started I may take you up on guidance through the process - thanks.
              > >
              > > Tom

            • tomjulessca
              Message 6 of 11 , May 7, 2013
                I am off to Eureka this weekend but should be at practice on the 19th.

                Tom