Re: Which Bitzenburger do you recommend

  • tomjulessca
    Message 1 of 11 , May 6, 2013
      Aelric,

      Thanks for all the good info. As it happens I am in the West and recently started attending the Windymeads practices. Once I get started I may take you up on guidance through the process - thanks.

      Tom

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "aelric_southlake" <magnetcoil@...> wrote:

      > Hey Tom, That's a nice fletch jig, widely considered the industry
      > standard. I use a Jo-Jan, and love it. And congratulations on taking
      > your first steps into the world of making your own arrows!
      >
      > You say you are shooting a longbow - modern (arrow shelf, pistol-ish
      > grip) or "period" (off the knuckle)? I ask because if you are shooting
      > a modern longbow you might as well fletch helical. But if you are
      > shooting a period-ish type bow, I'd HIGHLY RECOMMEND you fletch
      > straight.
      >
      > Heck, even if you ARE shooting a modern style longbow, I'd fletch
      > straight - that way, later when you take your next step into "whipping"
      > (spiral wrapping) your arrows, you can do that to the sets you've
      > already made. Some might endorse the helical to you for its "rifling"
      > effects, but... this is a medieval club. My modern bow shoots helical
      > fletch carbon arrows. But I wouldn't do that to the wooden arrows I
      > make to shoot SCA. Up to you. Straight fletch shoots nice too. The
      > trick is keeping those wooden arrow shafts straight, ha ha ha, not the
      > style of fletch so much...
      >
      > If you aren't totally strapped for cash, I'd recommend a fletching
      > chopper from 3 Rivers Archery too. They've got some shapes that are
      > more period-ish than the standard "parabolic," or "shield" shapes.
      > Chopping your own fletching is fun! You might get lucky and find some
      > period-ish pre-cut fletching on e-bay (I did once). In this household
      > we have a "traditional," and a "Pope & Young" chopper (sometimes called
      > "raptor," if you are looking for pre-cut). Putting period-ish shaped
      > fletching on your own arrows makes the effort you put in really
      > worthwhile. ...Or, if you live in West Kingdom, or ever get out this
      > way, you are welcome to come over and chop away!
      >
      > Anyway, just my 2 cents. But my philosophy, as regards this kinda thing,
      > is: "You can't always be completely period - and sometimes not even
      > close - but when a choice arises where leaning toward the period IS an
      > option, well then..."
      >
      > I'm no arrow expert (there are a bunch of them here) but I've been
      > through a bit of this, so if you have any questions don't hesitate to
      > contact me off list either. There's lots of stuff to know, like, how to
      > align nocks, etc.
      >
      > ~ Aelric, West K.
      >

      > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "tomjulessca" wrote:
      > >
      > > Relatively new to archery (now shooting a 45# longbow) and have never
      > made an arrow. The two dozen arrows I purchased have (had) helical
      > fletching.
      > >
      > > After reading lots of reviews and other research, I am going to buy a
      > Bitzenburger jig. However, none of my research described comparison
      > between using a helical jig & clamp vs a straight jig & left hand clamp.
      > >
      > > Any input regarding relative merit will be appreciated. Thanks.
      > >
      > > Tom

    • tomjulessca
      Message 2 of 11 , May 6, 2013
        Carolus,

        If there isn't much difference I do prefer the aesthetic of the straight. Thanks for the input.

        Tom

        > You can't get better. I've got 2 of these with straight and left
        > helical clamps. Some say you should match the helical twist to your
        > shooting style; if you shoot right-handed, use right helical, if
        > left-handed, left helical. A few say use the reverse. I don't think it
        > matters. Personally, I prefer the straight for most uses. I can set the
        > twist either direction that way. Some say you get better rifling with
        > helical but I don't rally see a difference. FWIW, I've been shooting
        > nearly 50 years, both SCA and Olympic form including national level
        > competition and I've made a lot of arrows over the years.
        > On 5/5/2013 6:25 PM, tomjulessca wrote:
        > >
        > > Relatively new to archery (now shooting a 45# longbow) and have never
        > > made an arrow. The two dozen arrows I purchased have (had) helical
        > > fletching.
        > >
        > > After reading lots of reviews and other research, I am going to buy a
        > > Bitzenburger jig. However, none of my research described comparison
        > > between using a helical jig & clamp vs a straight jig & left hand clamp.
        > >
        > > Any input regarding relative merit will be appreciated. Thanks.
        > >
        > > Tom

      • aelric_southlake
        Message 3 of 11 , May 6, 2013
          Been trying to make it to a Windymeads practice myself. Just went there a couple weekends ago for the "hunt," which was cool. We live in Concord now, so it's a bit of a drive - but it's the only "SCA" practice around here now (I think).

          Well, that settles it, I was thinking of trying to arrange some kind of open "arrow making" night at my place, to share ideas and tricks, and inspire those interested in giving it a try, or to help motivate one another kinda-thing. I'll redouble my efforts toward that...

          I'll try to get to Windymeads this coming Sunday, and seek you out.

          ~ A

          --- In SCA-Archery "tomjulessca" wrote:

          > Aelric,
          >
          > Thanks for all the good info. As it happens I am in the West and recently started attending the Windymeads practices. Once I get started I may take you up on guidance through the process - thanks.
          >
          > Tom
        • Carolus
          Message 4 of 11 , May 6, 2013
            Tom,
            In fact I think you have better control with the straight because you can adjust the angle more precisely.  I think I can even get better spin with it.  The helical is pretty critical in its optimal setting.

            Try making some sets of 4 arrows with different fletching setups to try them out and find what works best for you.  If one set turns out really bad, you can strip and re-fletch it.  I find this gives me an end of 3 with a spare for testing.
            Carolus
            On 5/6/2013 8:17 PM, tomjulessca wrote:

            Carolus,

            If there isn't much difference I do prefer the aesthetic of the straight. Thanks for the input.

            Tom

            > You can't get better. I've got 2 of these with straight and left
            > helical clamps. Some say you should match the helical twist to your
            > shooting style; if you shoot right-handed, use right helical, if
            > left-handed, left helical. A few say use the reverse. I don't think it
            > matters. Personally, I prefer the straight for most uses. I can set the
            > twist either direction that way. Some say you get better rifling with
            > helical but I don't rally see a difference. FWIW, I've been shooting
            > nearly 50 years, both SCA and Olympic form including national level
            > competition and I've made a lot of arrows over the years.
            > On 5/5/2013 6:25 PM, tomjulessca wrote:
            > >
            > > Relatively new to archery (now shooting a 45# longbow) and have never
            > > made an arrow. The two dozen arrows I purchased have (had) helical
            > > fletching.
            > >
            > > After reading lots of reviews and other research, I am going to buy a
            > > Bitzenburger jig. However, none of my research described comparison
            > > between using a helical jig & clamp vs a straight jig & left hand clamp.
            > >
            > > Any input regarding relative merit will be appreciated. Thanks.
            > >
            > > Tom

          • lekervere
            Message 5 of 11 , May 6, 2013
              Don't you know there's a war on?
              There is no practice in Windy Meads this Sunday, due to the Mists-Cynagua War and Mothers' Day activities. That means I won't be there with the loaner equipment. On the other hand, its a public park, so there is no reason you guys can't meet there for some practice.
              I will hold practice on Sunday 5/19. The following weekend, 5/24 to 5/27 is Cynagua Coronet Tournament, and I will have an archery range open at the fairgrounds in Quincy.

              Edward le Kervere
              Minister of the Bow for Cynagua

              --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "aelric_southlake" <magnetcoil@...> wrote:

              > Been trying to make it to a Windymeads practice myself. Just went there a couple weekends ago for the "hunt," which was cool. We live in Concord now, so it's a bit of a drive - but it's the only "SCA" practice around here now (I think).
              >
              > Well, that settles it, I was thinking of trying to arrange some kind of open "arrow making" night at my place, to share ideas and tricks, and inspire those interested in giving it a try, or to help motivate one another kinda-thing. I'll redouble my efforts toward that...
              >
              > I'll try to get to Windymeads this coming Sunday, and seek you out.
              >
              > ~ A
              >
              > --- In SCA-Archery "tomjulessca" wrote:
              > >
              > > Aelric,
              > >
              > > Thanks for all the good info. As it happens I am in the West and recently started attending the Windymeads practices. Once I get started I may take you up on guidance through the process - thanks.
              > >
              > > Tom

            • aelric_southlake
              Message 6 of 11 , May 7, 2013
                Ha ha ha... oh yeah, Right. Well... maybe the weekend after THAT! Thanks Edward!

                Message 7 of 11 , May 7, 2013
                  Aelric,

                  I am in Dixon but if you hold an arrow making workshop in Concord I will be there if at all possible.

                  tom

                  --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "aelric_southlake" <magnetcoil@...> wrote:

                  > Been trying to make it to a Windymeads practice myself. Just went there a couple weekends ago for the "hunt," which was cool. We live in Concord now, so it's a bit of a drive - but it's the only "SCA" practice around here now (I think).
                  >
                  > Well, that settles it, I was thinking of trying to arrange some kind of open "arrow making" night at my place, to share ideas and tricks, and inspire those interested in giving it a try, or to help motivate one another kinda-thing. I'll redouble my efforts toward that...
                  >
                  > I'll try to get to Windymeads this coming Sunday, and seek you out.
                  >
                  > ~ A
                  >
                  > --- In SCA-Archery "tomjulessca" wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Aelric,
                  > >
                  > > Thanks for all the good info. As it happens I am in the West and recently started attending the Windymeads practices. Once I get started I may take you up on guidance through the process - thanks.
                  > >
                  > > Tom

                • tomjulessca
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 7, 2013
                    I am off to Eureka this weekend but should be at practice on the 19th.

                    Tom