Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [SCA-Archery] Which Bitzenburger do you recommend

Expand Messages
  • Carolus
    You can t get better. I ve got 2 of these with straight and left helical clamps. Some say you should match the helical twist to your shooting style; if you
    Message 1 of 11 , May 5, 2013
    • 0 Attachment
      You can't get better.  I've got 2 of these with straight and left helical clamps.  Some say you should match the helical twist to your shooting style; if you shoot right-handed, use right helical, if left-handed, left helical.  A few say use the reverse.  I don't think it matters.  Personally, I prefer the straight for most uses.  I can set the twist either direction that way.  Some say you get better rifling with helical but I don't rally see a difference.  FWIW, I've been shooting nearly 50 years, both SCA and Olympic form including national level competition and I've made a lot of arrows over the years. 
      On 5/5/2013 6:25 PM, tomjulessca wrote:
       

      Relatively new to archery (now shooting a 45# longbow) and have never made an arrow. The two dozen arrows I purchased have (had) helical fletching.

      After reading lots of reviews and other research, I am going to buy a Bitzenburger jig. However, none of my research described comparison between using a helical jig & clamp vs a straight jig & left hand clamp.

      Any input regarding relative merit will be appreciated. Thanks.

      Tom


    • tomjulessca
      Aelric, Thanks for all the good info. As it happens I am in the West and recently started attending the Windymeads practices. Once I get started I may take
      Message 2 of 11 , May 6, 2013
      • 0 Attachment
        Aelric,

        Thanks for all the good info. As it happens I am in the West and recently started attending the Windymeads practices. Once I get started I may take you up on guidance through the process - thanks.

        Tom

        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "aelric_southlake" <magnetcoil@...> wrote:
        >
        >
        > Hey Tom, That's a nice fletch jig, widely considered the industry
        > standard. I use a Jo-Jan, and love it. And congratulations on taking
        > your first steps into the world of making your own arrows!
        >
        > You say you are shooting a longbow - modern (arrow shelf, pistol-ish
        > grip) or "period" (off the knuckle)? I ask because if you are shooting
        > a modern longbow you might as well fletch helical. But if you are
        > shooting a period-ish type bow, I'd HIGHLY RECOMMEND you fletch
        > straight.
        >
        > Heck, even if you ARE shooting a modern style longbow, I'd fletch
        > straight - that way, later when you take your next step into "whipping"
        > (spiral wrapping) your arrows, you can do that to the sets you've
        > already made. Some might endorse the helical to you for its "rifling"
        > effects, but... this is a medieval club. My modern bow shoots helical
        > fletch carbon arrows. But I wouldn't do that to the wooden arrows I
        > make to shoot SCA. Up to you. Straight fletch shoots nice too. The
        > trick is keeping those wooden arrow shafts straight, ha ha ha, not the
        > style of fletch so much...
        >
        > If you aren't totally strapped for cash, I'd recommend a fletching
        > chopper from 3 Rivers Archery too. They've got some shapes that are
        > more period-ish than the standard "parabolic," or "shield" shapes.
        > Chopping your own fletching is fun! You might get lucky and find some
        > period-ish pre-cut fletching on e-bay (I did once). In this household
        > we have a "traditional," and a "Pope & Young" chopper (sometimes called
        > "raptor," if you are looking for pre-cut). Putting period-ish shaped
        > fletching on your own arrows makes the effort you put in really
        > worthwhile. ...Or, if you live in West Kingdom, or ever get out this
        > way, you are welcome to come over and chop away!
        >
        > Anyway, just my 2 cents. But my philosophy, as regards this kinda thing,
        > is: "You can't always be completely period - and sometimes not even
        > close - but when a choice arises where leaning toward the period IS an
        > option, well then..."
        >
        > I'm no arrow expert (there are a bunch of them here) but I've been
        > through a bit of this, so if you have any questions don't hesitate to
        > contact me off list either. There's lots of stuff to know, like, how to
        > align nocks, etc.
        >
        > ~ Aelric, West K.
        >
        >
        > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "tomjulessca" wrote:
        > >
        > > Relatively new to archery (now shooting a 45# longbow) and have never
        > made an arrow. The two dozen arrows I purchased have (had) helical
        > fletching.
        > >
        > > After reading lots of reviews and other research, I am going to buy a
        > Bitzenburger jig. However, none of my research described comparison
        > between using a helical jig & clamp vs a straight jig & left hand clamp.
        > >
        > > Any input regarding relative merit will be appreciated. Thanks.
        > >
        > > Tom
        > >
        >
      • tomjulessca
        Carolus, If there isn t much difference I do prefer the aesthetic of the straight. Thanks for the input. Tom
        Message 3 of 11 , May 6, 2013
        • 0 Attachment
          Carolus,

          If there isn't much difference I do prefer the aesthetic of the straight. Thanks for the input.

          Tom

          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Carolus <eulenhorst@...> wrote:
          >
          > You can't get better. I've got 2 of these with straight and left
          > helical clamps. Some say you should match the helical twist to your
          > shooting style; if you shoot right-handed, use right helical, if
          > left-handed, left helical. A few say use the reverse. I don't think it
          > matters. Personally, I prefer the straight for most uses. I can set the
          > twist either direction that way. Some say you get better rifling with
          > helical but I don't rally see a difference. FWIW, I've been shooting
          > nearly 50 years, both SCA and Olympic form including national level
          > competition and I've made a lot of arrows over the years.
          > On 5/5/2013 6:25 PM, tomjulessca wrote:
          > >
          > > Relatively new to archery (now shooting a 45# longbow) and have never
          > > made an arrow. The two dozen arrows I purchased have (had) helical
          > > fletching.
          > >
          > > After reading lots of reviews and other research, I am going to buy a
          > > Bitzenburger jig. However, none of my research described comparison
          > > between using a helical jig & clamp vs a straight jig & left hand clamp.
          > >
          > > Any input regarding relative merit will be appreciated. Thanks.
          > >
          > > Tom
          > >
          > >
          >
        • aelric_southlake
          Been trying to make it to a Windymeads practice myself. Just went there a couple weekends ago for the hunt, which was cool. We live in Concord now, so it s
          Message 4 of 11 , May 6, 2013
          • 0 Attachment
            Been trying to make it to a Windymeads practice myself. Just went there a couple weekends ago for the "hunt," which was cool. We live in Concord now, so it's a bit of a drive - but it's the only "SCA" practice around here now (I think).

            Well, that settles it, I was thinking of trying to arrange some kind of open "arrow making" night at my place, to share ideas and tricks, and inspire those interested in giving it a try, or to help motivate one another kinda-thing. I'll redouble my efforts toward that...

            I'll try to get to Windymeads this coming Sunday, and seek you out.

            ~ A

            --- In SCA-Archery "tomjulessca" wrote:
            >
            > Aelric,
            >
            > Thanks for all the good info. As it happens I am in the West and recently started attending the Windymeads practices. Once I get started I may take you up on guidance through the process - thanks.
            >
            > Tom
          • Carolus
            Tom, In fact I think you have better control with the straight because you can adjust the angle more precisely. I think I can even get better spin with it.
            Message 5 of 11 , May 6, 2013
            • 0 Attachment
              Tom,
              In fact I think you have better control with the straight because you can adjust the angle more precisely.  I think I can even get better spin with it.  The helical is pretty critical in its optimal setting.

              Try making some sets of 4 arrows with different fletching setups to try them out and find what works best for you.  If one set turns out really bad, you can strip and re-fletch it.  I find this gives me an end of 3 with a spare for testing.
              Carolus
              On 5/6/2013 8:17 PM, tomjulessca wrote:
               

              Carolus,

              If there isn't much difference I do prefer the aesthetic of the straight. Thanks for the input.

              Tom

              --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Carolus <eulenhorst@...> wrote:
              >
              > You can't get better. I've got 2 of these with straight and left
              > helical clamps. Some say you should match the helical twist to your
              > shooting style; if you shoot right-handed, use right helical, if
              > left-handed, left helical. A few say use the reverse. I don't think it
              > matters. Personally, I prefer the straight for most uses. I can set the
              > twist either direction that way. Some say you get better rifling with
              > helical but I don't rally see a difference. FWIW, I've been shooting
              > nearly 50 years, both SCA and Olympic form including national level
              > competition and I've made a lot of arrows over the years.
              > On 5/5/2013 6:25 PM, tomjulessca wrote:
              > >
              > > Relatively new to archery (now shooting a 45# longbow) and have never
              > > made an arrow. The two dozen arrows I purchased have (had) helical
              > > fletching.
              > >
              > > After reading lots of reviews and other research, I am going to buy a
              > > Bitzenburger jig. However, none of my research described comparison
              > > between using a helical jig & clamp vs a straight jig & left hand clamp.
              > >
              > > Any input regarding relative merit will be appreciated. Thanks.
              > >
              > > Tom
              > >
              > >
              >


            • lekervere
              Don t you know there s a war on? There is no practice in Windy Meads this Sunday, due to the Mists-Cynagua War and Mothers Day activities. That means I won t
              Message 6 of 11 , May 6, 2013
              • 0 Attachment
                Don't you know there's a war on?
                There is no practice in Windy Meads this Sunday, due to the Mists-Cynagua War and Mothers' Day activities. That means I won't be there with the loaner equipment. On the other hand, its a public park, so there is no reason you guys can't meet there for some practice.
                I will hold practice on Sunday 5/19. The following weekend, 5/24 to 5/27 is Cynagua Coronet Tournament, and I will have an archery range open at the fairgrounds in Quincy.

                Edward le Kervere
                Minister of the Bow for Cynagua

                --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "aelric_southlake" <magnetcoil@...> wrote:
                >
                > Been trying to make it to a Windymeads practice myself. Just went there a couple weekends ago for the "hunt," which was cool. We live in Concord now, so it's a bit of a drive - but it's the only "SCA" practice around here now (I think).
                >
                > Well, that settles it, I was thinking of trying to arrange some kind of open "arrow making" night at my place, to share ideas and tricks, and inspire those interested in giving it a try, or to help motivate one another kinda-thing. I'll redouble my efforts toward that...
                >
                > I'll try to get to Windymeads this coming Sunday, and seek you out.
                >
                > ~ A
                >
                > --- In SCA-Archery "tomjulessca" wrote:
                > >
                > > Aelric,
                > >
                > > Thanks for all the good info. As it happens I am in the West and recently started attending the Windymeads practices. Once I get started I may take you up on guidance through the process - thanks.
                > >
                > > Tom
                >
              • aelric_southlake
                Ha ha ha... oh yeah, Right. Well... maybe the weekend after THAT! Thanks Edward!
                Message 7 of 11 , May 7, 2013
                • 0 Attachment
                  Ha ha ha... oh yeah, Right. Well... maybe the weekend after THAT! Thanks Edward!

                  --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "lekervere" <edwoodguy@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > Don't you know there's a war on?
                  > There is no practice in Windy Meads this Sunday, due to the Mists-Cynagua War and Mothers' Day...
                • tomjulessca
                  Aelric, I am in Dixon but if you hold an arrow making workshop in Concord I will be there if at all possible. tom
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 7, 2013
                  • 0 Attachment
                    Aelric,

                    I am in Dixon but if you hold an arrow making workshop in Concord I will be there if at all possible.

                    tom

                    --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "aelric_southlake" <magnetcoil@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > Been trying to make it to a Windymeads practice myself. Just went there a couple weekends ago for the "hunt," which was cool. We live in Concord now, so it's a bit of a drive - but it's the only "SCA" practice around here now (I think).
                    >
                    > Well, that settles it, I was thinking of trying to arrange some kind of open "arrow making" night at my place, to share ideas and tricks, and inspire those interested in giving it a try, or to help motivate one another kinda-thing. I'll redouble my efforts toward that...
                    >
                    > I'll try to get to Windymeads this coming Sunday, and seek you out.
                    >
                    > ~ A
                    >
                    > --- In SCA-Archery "tomjulessca" wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Aelric,
                    > >
                    > > Thanks for all the good info. As it happens I am in the West and recently started attending the Windymeads practices. Once I get started I may take you up on guidance through the process - thanks.
                    > >
                    > > Tom
                    >
                  • tomjulessca
                    I am off to Eureka this weekend but should be at practice on the 19th. Tom
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 7, 2013
                    • 0 Attachment
                      I am off to Eureka this weekend but should be at practice on the 19th.

                      Tom

                      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "lekervere" <edwoodguy@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > Don't you know there's a war on?
                      > There is no practice in Windy Meads this Sunday, due to the Mists-Cynagua War and Mothers' Day activities. That means I won't be there with the loaner equipment. On the other hand, its a public park, so there is no reason you guys can't meet there for some practice.
                      > I will hold practice on Sunday 5/19. The following weekend, 5/24 to 5/27 is Cynagua Coronet Tournament, and I will have an archery range open at the fairgrounds in Quincy.
                      >
                      > Edward le Kervere
                      > Minister of the Bow for Cynagua
                      >
                      > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "aelric_southlake" <magnetcoil@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Been trying to make it to a Windymeads practice myself. Just went there a couple weekends ago for the "hunt," which was cool. We live in Concord now, so it's a bit of a drive - but it's the only "SCA" practice around here now (I think).
                      > >
                      > > Well, that settles it, I was thinking of trying to arrange some kind of open "arrow making" night at my place, to share ideas and tricks, and inspire those interested in giving it a try, or to help motivate one another kinda-thing. I'll redouble my efforts toward that...
                      > >
                      > > I'll try to get to Windymeads this coming Sunday, and seek you out.
                      > >
                      > > ~ A
                      > >
                      > > --- In SCA-Archery "tomjulessca" wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Aelric,
                      > > >
                      > > > Thanks for all the good info. As it happens I am in the West and recently started attending the Windymeads practices. Once I get started I may take you up on guidance through the process - thanks.
                      > > >
                      > > > Tom
                      > >
                      >
                    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.