Re: Crouching was (unknown)

  • Rusty McMillan
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 21, 2013
      Jon,

      While I will of course go along with whatever the majority decides, I
      don't feel the crouching stance needs to be eliminated. Those who have
      difficulty bending the knees to 90 degrees could bend as much as is
      comfortable/safe for them.

      As for the potential scenario you describe of archers opting out of
      crouching just to gain an advantage, I prefer to believe that in
      archery, as in all SCA martial activities, we are on our honor to treat
      chivalrously with other competitors, and I would hope that such behavior
      would not occur.

      Randal

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "John R. Edgerton" wrote:

      > Yes,I put that option in the rules in case anyone was unable to assume
      any of the positions. However, if the majority feel that the crouching
      stance is too difficult,I can drop it. The closest stance to crouching
      would be standing.

      > However,it is possible that some archers that are capable of shooting
      in that stance might opt for standing in order to get a better score.
      Any thoughts on this?

      > Jon
      >
      > Rusty McMillan randal_of_camusfearna@... wrote:
      >
      > >Everyone, don't forget the portion of the rules that states:
      > >
      > >"If an archer, due to a disability or injury, can not assume a
      stance, they may assume one of the other stances which is most similar
      to it with the approval of the marshal."

      > >This handles the fact that no matter what five or six stances we
      choose, somebody won't be able to achieve them all.