RE: [SCA-Archery] (unknown)

  • Dave Poulin
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 19, 2013

      An option for those of us with bad knees might be a ‘T’ seat.  Basically what I mean is a flat board on top of a thick dowel or another flat board that forms a T – not a comfortable seat by any stretch of the imagination so no one could complain about that shooter having a ‘comfort’ advantage…

      Antony

      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 19, 2013
        The current draft of the Random Stance has a change to the crouching.

        "5)    Crouching, both knees bent at approximately a ninety degree angle. (The archer only has to crouch while aiming and releasing. They may stand while nocking and drawing.)"

        I am 71 with arthritis and a bad back and a bad knee and I can just barely manage the stance.  But, I can do it.

        However, if anyone can come up with a good replacement we can either use that or just drop the "Crouching" and change it to five stances.

        Jon

        My concern would also be with the "crouching" end as there are more then a few people who can not do that for many different reasons.  The easiest solution might be to eliminate that one end, but the other would be to provide a second optional stance for it, IE call it "Low Window" or "Bent" or something the choice is stand with either the knees bent to near 90 degrees (crouching) or with the waist bent to near 90 degrees (leaning over).

        Just an idea...
        Jonathas
      • Rusty McMillan
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 20, 2013
          Everyone, don't forget the portion of the rules that states:

          "If an archer, due to a disability or injury, can not assume a stance, they may assume one of the other stances which is most similar to it with the approval of the marshal."

          This handles the fact that no matter what five or six stances we choose, somebody won't be able to achieve them all.

          Randal

          > The current draft of the Random Stance has a change to the crouching.
          >
          > "5) Crouching, both knees bent at approximately a ninety degree angle. (The
          > archer only has to crouch while aiming and releasing. They may stand while
          > nocking and drawing.)"
          >
          > I am 71 with arthritis and a bad back and a bad knee and I can just barely
          > manage the stance. But, I can do it.
          >
          > However, if anyone can come up with a good replacement we can either use that or
          > just drop the "Crouching" and change it to five stances.
          >
          > Jon
        • John R. Edgerton
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 21, 2013
            Yes,I put that option in the rules in case anyone was unable to assume any of the positions. However, if the majority feel that the crouching stance is too difficult,I can drop it. The closest stance to crouching would be standing.

            However,it is possible that some archers that are capable of shooting in that stance might opt for standing in order to get a better score. Any thoughts on this?

            Jon

            Rusty McMillan <randal_of_camusfearna@...> wrote:

            Everyone, don't forget the portion of the rules that states:

            "If an archer, due to a disability or injury, can not assume a stance, they may assume one of the other stances which is most similar to it with the approval of the marshal."

            This handles the fact that no matter what five or six stances we choose, somebody won't be able to achieve them all.

            Randal

            > The current draft of the Random Stance has a change to the crouching.
            >
            > "5) Crouching, both knees bent at approximately a ninety degree angle. (The
            > archer only has to crouch while aiming and releasing. They may stand while
            > nocking and drawing.)"
            >
            > I am 71 with arthritis and a bad back and a bad knee and I can just barely
            > manage the stance. But, I can do it.
            >
            > However, if anyone can come up with a good replacement we can either use that or
            > just drop the "Crouching" and change it to five stances.
            >
            > Jon

          • John R. Edgerton
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 21, 2013
              I have found period examples of two other stances. The first from medieval India has the archer standing one leg while the foot of the other leg is pressed against that knee.

              The second,also from India is seated on the ground with the legs crossed and the feet resting on top of the opposite thigh. A basic Yoga position.

              The one leg stance could be modified to just standing on one leg with the other not touching the ground. This stance to be held while aiming and loosing. Otherwise it could present problems for cocking crossbows.

              Jon

              "John R. Edgerton" <sirjon1@...> wrote:

              Yes,I put that option in the rules in case anyone was unable to assume any of the positions. However, if the majority feel that the crouching stance is too difficult,I can drop it. The closest stance to crouching would be standing.

              However,it is possible that some archers that are capable of shooting in that stance might opt for standing in order to get a better score. Any thoughts on this?

              Jon

              Rusty McMillan <randal_of_camusfearna@...> wrote:

              Everyone, don't forget the portion of the rules that states:

              "If an archer, due to a disability or injury, can not assume a stance, they may assume one of the other stances which is most similar to it with the approval of the marshal."

              This handles the fact that no matter what five or six stances we choose, somebody won't be able to achieve them all.

              Randal

              > The current draft of the Random Stance has a change to the crouching.
              >
              > "5) Crouching, both knees bent at approximately a ninety degree angle. (The
              > archer only has to crouch while aiming and releasing. They may stand while
              > nocking and drawing.)"
              >
              > I am 71 with arthritis and a bad back and a bad knee and I can just barely
              > manage the stance. But, I can do it.
              >
              > However, if anyone can come up with a good replacement we can either use that or
              > just drop the "Crouching" and change it to five stances.
              >
              > Jon

            • Rusty McMillan
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 21, 2013
                Jon,

                While I will of course go along with whatever the majority decides, I
                don't feel the crouching stance needs to be eliminated. Those who have
                difficulty bending the knees to 90 degrees could bend as much as is
                comfortable/safe for them.

                As for the potential scenario you describe of archers opting out of
                crouching just to gain an advantage, I prefer to believe that in
                archery, as in all SCA martial activities, we are on our honor to treat
                chivalrously with other competitors, and I would hope that such behavior
                would not occur.

                Randal