Re: [SCA-Archery] Newbee looking for equipment.

  • Carrie
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 18, 2013
      Welcome to the SCA and archery Patricia. It's a WONDERFUL sport and I too seemed to find my 'niche' so to speak.

      As for bows--I actually found some good ones on eBay for a reasonable price. I was new, and needed something that I could afford and not be to upset a out if I needed to stop shooting. If you do decide to go the eBay route, try to time it the "off season" for hunting.

      Good luck,
      Carrie

      P.S.im in CA

      On Apr 18, 2013, at 7:48 AM, "patricia_foxx" <patricia_foxx@...> wrote:

      > Hail to the Group!
      >
      > I come in search of equipment. Let me tell you my story. In October last year I lost everything, my car, my job, my home. I have been in the process of rebuilding my life and a dear friend of mine who has been a member of the SCA for over 30 years directed me to the SCA so I would have the chance to make new friends, learn new skills, and keep me out of the doldrums as I rebuild. I went to the Fool's War and LOVED it.
      >
      > I am very interested in Archery, but alas, I have no equipment. I have plenty of space to practice. If anyone could help me out, I sure would appreciate it. I am in Atlanta Georgia.
      >
      > Thank you
      > Patrice Fauchs

    • Dayrl Merrill
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 18, 2013
        Depending on if you know what you need/want or if you need help figuring out what you can handle weight wise.  If the first and you don't mind dealing over the internet/phone I have been selling within the SCA for 25+ years but I am located in IN.  If you need help figuring out what you need find the local group and work with them to figure it out.  Then I can help.  Greybar and Elk Ridge are two other SCA merchants that will also be at Pennsic who could possibly help, but neither of them are in your area.

        Rask Ulfbjorn,
        Viking Archery Supply

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 18, 2013
          Patrice,

          If you are in Atlanta you are in the Barony of Southdowns. They have several good archers there. The nearby Shire of Sol Haven has a very active archery program with several enthusiastic members. They ran the archery at Fool's War. You can contact people in Meridies through the  IronBow  Yahoo Group. I look forward to seeing you on a range.

          Baron Charles O'Connor

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 19, 2013
            I don't know if you are planning on going to Pennsic or not, but, if you are I can recommend Viking Archery.  I purchased a very inexpensive bow from them last Pennsic.  Now it's not wood but for a beginning bow it's great.  He measured and figured out how long my arrows should be and custom made my string (think Tinkerbell Green).

            A very satisfied customer
            Angustias

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 19, 2013
              Dearest ALL~
              Thank you for your suggestions. I am hoping to be able to afford the equipment soon, it just isn't happening yet. I didn't realize that this would be so...well to be honest, Expensive! I am just getting back on my feet at this point in time. (I lost EVERYTHING in October...except hopes, dreams, and aspirations...)

              I am hoping to get out to Conyers this weekend so I can start learning the skills needed to be successful in this fine sport.

              Once again, THANK YOU ALL! You have made me feel so welcome!

              Patrice
              Empress of Patopia
              (Yeah it's my little world and they LOVE me here!)