Re: [SCA-Archery] Random Range competition.

  • John Edgerton
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 17, 2013
      Please let me know how it works out.

      Note: It may be changed to allow scoring after every three ends and six arrows.

      Jon

      On 2013-04-17, at 1:01 PM, John Edgerton <sirjon1@...> wrote:

      Here is another possible SSAC shoot. Any comments or improvements will be greatly appreciated.

      Jon
      ****************************

      Random Range Competition (draft-4/17/13)

      The Random Range Competition is shot from different distances which are chosen at random from a predetermined set of distances.  The archers know what distances will be shot, but they do not know in what order these ranges will be shot.

      The distances are: 15. 20. 25. 30. 35. And 40 yards. The distances are not repeated during a round. At the first end, a distance is drawn at random from the set of ranges in a container. The distance is announced and then that distance is removed from the set.

      Ends. For the first round the archers line up and shoot an end of two arrows from that distance. The drawing of ranges is repeated for each end. When the six ends are finished and no more distances remain, the arrows are scored. The process is then repeated for the second round.

      Target. The roundel target is the same as a Period IKAC target, a 6cm (2.4”) peg, 24cm (9.6”) roundel, with a 60cm (23.6”) outer circle. The peg, roundel and circle may be of any contrasting colors.

      Additional period style decoration may be added to the target as long as it does not make aiming or scoring difficult. Such decoration is strongly encouraged, but not required.

      For those who wish to stop by a print shop, here is a PDF designed for large format printers with the target face pre-drawn.

      Scoring. The peg is five points, the roundel is three points and the circle is one point. Arrows touching the line count as the higher score. There is a maximum possible score of 120 points.

      Youth Division. The distances for the youth division are: 5. 10. 15. 20. 25. And 30 yards.

      Sir Jon Fitz-Rauf

    • lynn.palmieri
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 18, 2013

        Sir Jon,

        As a “layman archer” I would think 12 arrows was indeed a lot.  Many shoots we go to result in overcrowded targets (and damaged arrows as a result) with only 6 per archer.  Also, not many archers here in the West carry that number of arrows in our quivers, though we may start off with that many :-}.  So I would say it depends on the number of archers participating, and the number of available targets.  Someone may want to pipe in with an “ideal” ratio of archers:target:arrows per archer…

        Sincerely,

        Elynor

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 18, 2013
          Number of Arrows
          Personally I prefer less than 12 arrows
          required before retrieval
          6 is good Most archers do Maintain 6

          & a not too crowded target.

          Side not to go with that is if 10 people shot 12 arrows
          each in a couple positions /stances et c
          what about the other people on range ?

          When & how do they retrieve?
          is
          Johann
          AnTir
        • John R. Edgerton
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 18, 2013
            It has already been changed to drawing and scoring after three ends of two arrows instead of six ends.

            And for the stance competition the arrows are drawn and scored at the finish of each end of six arrows, as per the current draft of the rules.

            Jon