Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Horse bow shooters? (grip question)

  • Laura Barrett
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 16, 2013
      Greetings,
       I got into archery due to my husband Lord Reinmar & now we are training for mounted archery. I have had my horse bow for a little over a year and just got it set up (as in a friend added the knocking point and gave me a guide for where the arrow should be sitting). I am a rank newbie at this and with no arrow rest it has been tricky. Fortunately we have a number of great archers willing to teach.
        My bow has a wrapped section in the middle and just about equal clearance on both ends. I found a spot on the string where the serving was different, and that's where he put the knock point.
      Last night I was given 2 things to work on getting my picture and simultaneously pulling the string & pushing the bow as I bring it up. I am left handed, left eye dominant, and I don't see the arrow tip as I sight down the shaft, I find I am shooting down. I have full deerskin gloves and have several stripes where the fletching is coming in contact at the v where the thumb joins the hand. I find myself wrapping my index finger around the shaft until I am set to shoot. This is all before I try it from the saddle, LOL!  Any advice for better techniques is what I am looking for.
      YIS,
      Alienor

      Love Conquers All

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 16, 2013
        Thank you all!

        I too am a lefty, left eye dom, no arrow rest, no glove. I "whip," or
        spiral wrap, all my arrows. For any no-shelf bow I believe you need to
        at least whip the leading edge of the fletch where it meets the shaft.
        I may be wrong, others may have experienced no problems with shooting
        bare fletching off their gloves or hands (since I'm "no glove," I don't
        want a quill buried in my skin).

        I cheat; I use heavy weight jeans stitching thread (not linen, hemp, or
        silk), soak it in a little bit of super glue so it never moves, and then
        polyurethane over it with a little brush to give it some amount of
        life-expectancy.

        Would really love to shoot from a horse someday - having trouble just
        being a decent shot on the ground though.

        Thank you for your grip description/approaches. Yeah... I THINK it's
        supposed to be shot a little north of center. I was trying to center
        shoot, but that put my "V," and some of my hand, on the under-slope of
        the grip - a somehwat unatural position for the hand, based on the shape
        of the bow. I dunno... Definitely going to put both a leather grip,
        and a bit of cordovan leather where the the arrow passes. I don't have
        an arrow pass on my longbow - doesn't seem right. I just add a touch of
        poly when it looks like it's getting worn, and really, it SHOULD get a
        bit worn there. But with the horsebow, I think it would be right, and
        aesthetically pleasing too.

        Thanks COG for your method description. I also cheat when I do leather
        grips too! I put Barge cement on them! But I do leave a gap so they
        cinch up nice. Problem is, my stitching looks goofy (I call it
        "rustic"), but I get a bit better each time. The cool thing about Barge
        is that if you EPICALLY fail, you can pull it back off without too much
        cursing...

        I saw on some longbow site where they FOLD OVER the top and bottom edges
        of their leather grips, prior to stitching, to give a nice finished
        edge. I'm gonna try that this time.

        Good luck with with horseback shooting Alienor! Jealous! I guess that's
        the POINT of these bows though... maybe oughtta redouble efforts to try
        that sometime...

        ~ A

        --- Laura wrote: Greetings, I got into archery due to my husband Lord
        Reinmar & now we are training for mounted archery...

        --- The Greys wrote: I grip the bow in the middle so the arrow pass is
        slightly above center...
      • Bai-Or
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 16, 2013
          Yeah, I meant to say that I grip in the center with arrow pass just slightly above center.  My bow is so curvy, I don't think there is really any other way to do it.  I have shot from horseback on rare occasion and can't wait to get into it seriously.

          You should also give thumb draw a try.  Not enough of us thumb ringers out there. ;)

          --
          Eógan
          Archery Captain, Shire of Mynydd Seren