Re: Horse bow shooters? (grip question)

  • The Greys
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 16, 2013
      My "horse bow" is a Flagella Dai. I grip the bow in the middle so the arrow pass is slightly above center. In truth, as the bow has no arrow rest I could shoot it up or down, right or left, just depends upon how I grip it. Originally my bow had no wrap on the grip. I have since put a leather grip wrap on it as well as a small patch of leather at the arrow pass. Over time my arrows were scratching the bow handle. Not a big deal, just a cosmetic deal hence the small leather patch.

      I put leather grips on all my bows. My preference for leather is elk hide. It is soft but thick and makes a great cushion grip. The real trick when putting on a leather grip is to do it so that it doesn't twist with use. So when you cut the leather leave a gap in it where you sew it up. As you sew the leather will stretch around the bow handle and make a nice tight, non-twisting grip cover.

      I've also added arrow rests on bows using stacked leather or antler chips. But for my horse bow I prefer shooting off my knuckle.

      cog
    • Laura Barrett
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 16, 2013
        Greetings,
         I got into archery due to my husband Lord Reinmar & now we are training for mounted archery. I have had my horse bow for a little over a year and just got it set up (as in a friend added the knocking point and gave me a guide for where the arrow should be sitting). I am a rank newbie at this and with no arrow rest it has been tricky. Fortunately we have a number of great archers willing to teach.
          My bow has a wrapped section in the middle and just about equal clearance on both ends. I found a spot on the string where the serving was different, and that's where he put the knock point.
        Last night I was given 2 things to work on getting my picture and simultaneously pulling the string & pushing the bow as I bring it up. I am left handed, left eye dominant, and I don't see the arrow tip as I sight down the shaft, I find I am shooting down. I have full deerskin gloves and have several stripes where the fletching is coming in contact at the v where the thumb joins the hand. I find myself wrapping my index finger around the shaft until I am set to shoot. This is all before I try it from the saddle, LOL!  Any advice for better techniques is what I am looking for.
        YIS,
        Alienor

        Love Conquers All

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 16, 2013
          Thank you all!

          I too am a lefty, left eye dom, no arrow rest, no glove. I "whip," or
          spiral wrap, all my arrows. For any no-shelf bow I believe you need to
          at least whip the leading edge of the fletch where it meets the shaft.
          I may be wrong, others may have experienced no problems with shooting
          bare fletching off their gloves or hands (since I'm "no glove," I don't
          want a quill buried in my skin).

          I cheat; I use heavy weight jeans stitching thread (not linen, hemp, or
          silk), soak it in a little bit of super glue so it never moves, and then
          polyurethane over it with a little brush to give it some amount of
          life-expectancy.

          Would really love to shoot from a horse someday - having trouble just
          being a decent shot on the ground though.

          Thank you for your grip description/approaches. Yeah... I THINK it's
          supposed to be shot a little north of center. I was trying to center
          shoot, but that put my "V," and some of my hand, on the under-slope of
          the grip - a somehwat unatural position for the hand, based on the shape
          of the bow. I dunno... Definitely going to put both a leather grip,
          and a bit of cordovan leather where the the arrow passes. I don't have
          an arrow pass on my longbow - doesn't seem right. I just add a touch of
          poly when it looks like it's getting worn, and really, it SHOULD get a
          bit worn there. But with the horsebow, I think it would be right, and
          aesthetically pleasing too.

          Thanks COG for your method description. I also cheat when I do leather
          grips too! I put Barge cement on them! But I do leave a gap so they
          cinch up nice. Problem is, my stitching looks goofy (I call it
          "rustic"), but I get a bit better each time. The cool thing about Barge
          is that if you EPICALLY fail, you can pull it back off without too much
          cursing...

          I saw on some longbow site where they FOLD OVER the top and bottom edges
          of their leather grips, prior to stitching, to give a nice finished
          edge. I'm gonna try that this time.

          Good luck with with horseback shooting Alienor! Jealous! I guess that's
          the POINT of these bows though... maybe oughtta redouble efforts to try
          that sometime...

          ~ A

          --- Laura wrote: Greetings, I got into archery due to my husband Lord
          Reinmar & now we are training for mounted archery...

          --- The Greys wrote: I grip the bow in the middle so the arrow pass is
          slightly above center...
        • Bai-Or
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 16, 2013
            Yeah, I meant to say that I grip in the center with arrow pass just slightly above center.  My bow is so curvy, I don't think there is really any other way to do it.  I have shot from horseback on rare occasion and can't wait to get into it seriously.

            You should also give thumb draw a try.  Not enough of us thumb ringers out there. ;)

            --
            Eógan
            Archery Captain, Shire of Mynydd Seren