Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Wooden arrows banned from archery ranges?

  • JonThomme De Claydon
    Message 1 of 61 , Apr 9 11:06 AM
      Ooh! Do tell why?
      JT

      On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 10:58 AM, James Koch <alchem@...> wrote:

      JT,

      On the flip side, we ban most modern equipment from our ranges, though for another reason.

      Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

      >At 01:21 PM 4/9/2013, you wrote:

      That is creative thinking which we may need before we get classed right off the range.
      Two thing about that. 1. By changing the weight of the point you change the spine of the shaft. So while they may weigh the same as your wood arrows they will not perform the same.
      2. If every range or even half the ranges banned wood arrow where would you be able to have an SCA archery tournament?
      In Caid we typically have 7-10 target butts and it is not economically feasible for us to own that many Saunders mats or store them for that matter.
      I understand the high value of the elite equipment and the thing that separates the men from the boys if the cost of their toys.
      I just don't like to see the boys options restricted any further than reasonably necessary.

      It's sort of like saying I cant drive my VolksWaggon on the freeway because it does not compare in cost to your Ferrari which may or may not be damaged by sharing the road with me.

      JT

      On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 10:06 AM, bluecat@... <bluecat@...> wrote:

      I do not know if anyone wants to do this as a solution, but I created one.

      I bought a set of aluminum and a set of carbon fiber arrows that are the same length and same weight ( within
      a gram ) of my wooden shafts to use for practice. You weigh your wood shaft and then get the correct weight
      point to equalize the weight.

      You gain in durability and get longer use in practice without destroying your wood shafts. I shift back to
      wood for SCA use.

      Dirk Edward of Frisia

      --
      In service to the dream

      Baron Jon Thomme

      Gold is for the mistress
      Silver for the maid
      R. Kipling

      --
      In service to the dream

      Baron Jon Thomme

      Gold is for the mistress
      Silver for the maid
      R. Kipling
    • Jonathas
      Message 61 of 61 , Apr 30 1:45 PM
        Iurii,

        To answer your question, yes the system is working properly you are currently ranked higher then the Archos, but then currently the system does not have the full picture.

        Don't forget that right now the GAT is based on a *VERY* limited data set, that is only the SSACs and IKACs.  If you shot all of these and the Archos in question only shot one of them, then yes in the GAT you would rank higher, as you have been more active in shooting.  Now once you both have 5 shoots, if the Archos does better in those shoots then he will rank higher then you.  Here in lies one of the BIG differences between the RR rankings that everyone is used to and the GAT.  In the RR you do not have a rank (aka average) at all until you have 3 scores, with the GAT as soon as you have one score you have a rank although it is not all that it could be since it is truly based on 5 scores.  This was choosen to encourage people to shoot more, yet not allow someone who enters absolutely everything yet does very poorly to come out on top.  A decent active archer should enter at least 5 events a year, especially with the SSAC and IKAC filling in the gaps, and if they enter more events then only the best five are used.

        Hey, be happy and brag about the accomplishment!  YOU are ranked higher then the Archos!!!  As I said to one of my local archers, "Right now you are the best handbow shooter in the entire SCA!!! Based on the current SSAC anyway." Which was a true statement, since she had submitted the only handbow score at that point.  Enjoy it while it lasts!

        Jonathas

        On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 3:38 PM, Chris Ivins <yuriilev@...> wrote:

        I'm a bit confused about the ranking order on the current list, according to it's system, I'm actually ranked higher than an Archos in my local area, and his scores are much higher than mine, by any comparison. Is this just because the system is getting ironed out, or am I missing something critical in the formula?

        - In Service,
                            Lord Iurii Levchenich, Junior TAM
                            Deputy to the Honorable Lady Johanna Trewpeny, Adiantum Archery Marshal
                            Arcuarius to Gawin of Kevelioc