Re: [SCA-Archery] Wooden arrows banned from archery ranges?

  • Chris Ivins
    Message 1 of 61 , Apr 8, 2013
      Our local indoor range has hay bales stacked against a backstop wall, and there are steel bands around the the "sides" of the bales, our arrows have a greater chance of the tip being broken off or the the wood being gouged/scraped by the edges of the metal bands. The range owner has never had any complaints of any other shooters damaging a non-wood arrow from one of the few-and-far-between tips that detach in the bales, though our wood ones seem to have the greatest casualty rate from the steel banding. The ranger owner has replaced the hay bales in the middle row with synthetic bales (not sure of the filler, but the outer wrapping is sort of like tyvek or plastic), our only problem with them is that it takes greater speed/force of impact to penetrate the outer cover, so we tend to have more bounce-offs than normal, and we have to be even more careful retreiving arrows, because the fabric material clutches at the back edge of the target tips.

      - Iurii

      Message 61 of 61 , Apr 30, 2013
        Iurii,

        To answer your question, yes the system is working properly you are currently ranked higher then the Archos, but then currently the system does not have the full picture.

        Don't forget that right now the GAT is based on a *VERY* limited data set, that is only the SSACs and IKACs.  If you shot all of these and the Archos in question only shot one of them, then yes in the GAT you would rank higher, as you have been more active in shooting.  Now once you both have 5 shoots, if the Archos does better in those shoots then he will rank higher then you.  Here in lies one of the BIG differences between the RR rankings that everyone is used to and the GAT.  In the RR you do not have a rank (aka average) at all until you have 3 scores, with the GAT as soon as you have one score you have a rank although it is not all that it could be since it is truly based on 5 scores.  This was choosen to encourage people to shoot more, yet not allow someone who enters absolutely everything yet does very poorly to come out on top.  A decent active archer should enter at least 5 events a year, especially with the SSAC and IKAC filling in the gaps, and if they enter more events then only the best five are used.

        Hey, be happy and brag about the accomplishment!  YOU are ranked higher then the Archos!!!  As I said to one of my local archers, "Right now you are the best handbow shooter in the entire SCA!!! Based on the current SSAC anyway." Which was a true statement, since she had submitted the only handbow score at that point.  Enjoy it while it lasts!

        Jonathas

        On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 3:38 PM, Chris Ivins <yuriilev@...> wrote:

        I'm a bit confused about the ranking order on the current list, according to it's system, I'm actually ranked higher than an Archos in my local area, and his scores are much higher than mine, by any comparison. Is this just because the system is getting ironed out, or am I missing something critical in the formula?

        - In Service,
                            Lord Iurii Levchenich, Junior TAM
                            Deputy to the Honorable Lady Johanna Trewpeny, Adiantum Archery Marshal
                            Arcuarius to Gawin of Kevelioc