Re: [SCA-Archery] Wooden arrows banned from archery ranges?

  • Bill Tait
    Message 1 of 61 , Apr 8, 2013

      I can give a current example...

      In 08 (iirc) I was ranked 5th in IKAC. My high RR average is 102 with a 104. I was three years over 100.

      In An Tir, I was not _the best_, but I could hold my own. In 09, I started the switch to Olympic. I had always wondered how well I would do with higher tech equipment.

      Middle of the pack. My first year I ranked in the high 20’s in Canada (or maybe it was in the 30's). My high FITA score was 1096 (/1440).

      Another case: back in 05 I handed my Grozer horse bow and very crude period arrows to my now coach. At the time he was ranked third in canada. From 60m, the first two arrows were in the dirt. The next 6 were in a group about 8" in diameter centered on the bale.

      It is not just the equipment!

      Its more like comparing go karting to F1 racing. Different tech, but its still racing.

      William
      Silver BC indoor 2010
      Gold BC outdoor 2011
      Bronze, Canadian National Field archery 2012

      On Apr 8, 2013 4:08 PM, "Jonathas" <Jonathas@...> wrote:

      I can answer that.  Back in college I was on the Archery team, yep I shot traditional recurve no sights, aka SCA standard, the same exact bow I still shoot today.  The team captain, who shot unlimited class (compound with everything allowed) endlessly teased me for my "pathetic" scores.  My answer was a always "put up or shut up, standard 600 round, half on my bow half on yours, see who has the better score."  This went on for months, he finally gave in and took the challenge.  We each started on the other persons bow.  Only took 6 arrows to set the stage, I was hitting 8's and 9's (inner red outer yellow) on a FITA 40cm with his bow.  He was still looking to hit the correct target block.  After 15 arrows he conceded, just a quarter of the way through the shoot.

      And by SCA standards I was only middle of the pack, with a recurve I topped out at Bowmen with a 79.6 average.

      While I may now be known for shooting a crossbow, I remember my roots and recognize the skill and dedication it takes to getting truly excellent with a traditional handbow.

      Jonathas

      On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 1:01 PM, William Davis <willied0296@...> wrote:

      I wonder though, if you took away their tech (stabilizers, kisser, sights, clickers, dampers, and releases) how well they would actually do?  How much is skill, and how much is technology?

      Gwilym of Fflint

      Message 61 of 61 , Apr 30, 2013
        Iurii,

        To answer your question, yes the system is working properly you are currently ranked higher then the Archos, but then currently the system does not have the full picture.

        Don't forget that right now the GAT is based on a *VERY* limited data set, that is only the SSACs and IKACs.  If you shot all of these and the Archos in question only shot one of them, then yes in the GAT you would rank higher, as you have been more active in shooting.  Now once you both have 5 shoots, if the Archos does better in those shoots then he will rank higher then you.  Here in lies one of the BIG differences between the RR rankings that everyone is used to and the GAT.  In the RR you do not have a rank (aka average) at all until you have 3 scores, with the GAT as soon as you have one score you have a rank although it is not all that it could be since it is truly based on 5 scores.  This was choosen to encourage people to shoot more, yet not allow someone who enters absolutely everything yet does very poorly to come out on top.  A decent active archer should enter at least 5 events a year, especially with the SSAC and IKAC filling in the gaps, and if they enter more events then only the best five are used.

        Hey, be happy and brag about the accomplishment!  YOU are ranked higher then the Archos!!!  As I said to one of my local archers, "Right now you are the best handbow shooter in the entire SCA!!! Based on the current SSAC anyway." Which was a true statement, since she had submitted the only handbow score at that point.  Enjoy it while it lasts!

        Jonathas

        On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 3:38 PM, Chris Ivins <yuriilev@...> wrote:

        I'm a bit confused about the ranking order on the current list, according to it's system, I'm actually ranked higher than an Archos in my local area, and his scores are much higher than mine, by any comparison. Is this just because the system is getting ironed out, or am I missing something critical in the formula?

        - In Service,
                            Lord Iurii Levchenich, Junior TAM
                            Deputy to the Honorable Lady Johanna Trewpeny, Adiantum Archery Marshal
                            Arcuarius to Gawin of Kevelioc