Re: [SCA-Archery] Wooden arrows banned from archery ranges?

  • James Koch
    Message 1 of 61 , Apr 8, 2013
      Gentlemen & Ladies,

      Merlin and I were discussing this and related topics last night.  Here in the Cleveland area, the Cleveland Archery Club provides an outdoor range open to the public.  The butts consist of large wooden frames holding straw bales banded and backed with thick rubber sheeting.  The club allows any shaft material, but forbids crossbow bolts.  The logic is, the straw is deep enough to completely conceal many crossbow bolts.  These then are hit by and damage the Olympic arrows the club members shoot.  I was a member of the club and was told I could use my crossbow on the range so long as I brought a free standing butt.  As to wooden arrows, Merlin makes carbon shafted practice arrows for our serious shooters.  These are more expensive up front, but last much longer.  We shift to wood shafts prior to tournaments and where scores will be recorded and submitted.  The real problem here in many parts of the Middle Kingdom is the simple fact that few people are involved in archery, and hence money is not allocated to purchase butts and other equipment.  A self fulfilling prophecy.  In kingdoms like Aethelmearc where archery is both supported and promoted they have a very large and highly skilled archery community.

      Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

      >           At 08:47
      AM 4/8/2013, you wrote:

      Also, we might run an equal risk from our own arrows as they do, but neither we nor they run an equal risk from *their* arrows. I can understand their point. The solution I suppose is to get more people into traditional archery so a traditional shooting range becomes financially viable. I'm lucky enough to live in a small town surrounded by a rural area, so finding a field to myself and mine isn't so difficult as my city dwelling brethren experience.

      YIS,

      Aescweald

      Nunc Scio Tenebris Lux...

      On Apr 8, 2013, at 7:35 AM, < baron.james.llewellyn@...> wrote:

      Similar risks except that most of the modern archers pay substantially more for their equipment and, on these ranges, they substantially outnumber us. We are the poor cousins in the minority and money talks.

      James Llewellyn ap Gruffydd

      Sent from Windows Mail

      Message 61 of 61 , Apr 30, 2013
        Iurii,

        To answer your question, yes the system is working properly you are currently ranked higher then the Archos, but then currently the system does not have the full picture.

        Don't forget that right now the GAT is based on a *VERY* limited data set, that is only the SSACs and IKACs.  If you shot all of these and the Archos in question only shot one of them, then yes in the GAT you would rank higher, as you have been more active in shooting.  Now once you both have 5 shoots, if the Archos does better in those shoots then he will rank higher then you.  Here in lies one of the BIG differences between the RR rankings that everyone is used to and the GAT.  In the RR you do not have a rank (aka average) at all until you have 3 scores, with the GAT as soon as you have one score you have a rank although it is not all that it could be since it is truly based on 5 scores.  This was choosen to encourage people to shoot more, yet not allow someone who enters absolutely everything yet does very poorly to come out on top.  A decent active archer should enter at least 5 events a year, especially with the SSAC and IKAC filling in the gaps, and if they enter more events then only the best five are used.

        Hey, be happy and brag about the accomplishment!  YOU are ranked higher then the Archos!!!  As I said to one of my local archers, "Right now you are the best handbow shooter in the entire SCA!!! Based on the current SSAC anyway." Which was a true statement, since she had submitted the only handbow score at that point.  Enjoy it while it lasts!

        Jonathas

        On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 3:38 PM, Chris Ivins <yuriilev@...> wrote:

        I'm a bit confused about the ranking order on the current list, according to it's system, I'm actually ranked higher than an Archos in my local area, and his scores are much higher than mine, by any comparison. Is this just because the system is getting ironed out, or am I missing something critical in the formula?

        - In Service,
                            Lord Iurii Levchenich, Junior TAM
                            Deputy to the Honorable Lady Johanna Trewpeny, Adiantum Archery Marshal
                            Arcuarius to Gawin of Kevelioc