Re: Blunts Pass Through update

  • Rusty McMillan
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 4, 2013
      Taslen,

      As I understand it, the original intent was that the target face is 30 yards down range, and it has the hole in it, and you get more points for getting your arrows through that hole than for hitting the target itself. Basically, the "bull's eye" is a hole rather than a circle.

      As I understand the rewritten rules, the hole is replaced by a circle drawn or painted on the target face.

      I wonder now why both couldn't be allowed, so that people who were willing to deal with cutting the center out of the target backing, figuring out how to support it without the center leg I see on so many butt stands, and chasing down arrows that go through the hole could do so (and how do you tell the difference between pass throughs and misses?). I also wonder whether I am just turning into a trouble maker in my old age!

      Randal

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Taslen <taslen2000@...> wrote:

      > so my understanding is that the passtrough is 30 yards down range how far behond that is the target. Not trying to be dense here but I want to do it right for my people
      >

      > ________________________________

    • Taslen
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 4, 2013
        Jon,

        My understanding is that there will be a obstacal that the have to shoot thru to hit a target and that for adults the obstacle is 30 yards down range am I correct?

        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 4, 2013
          There is no "shoot through" obstacle. There is just the target with a circle "hole" drawn upon it.

          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 4, 2013
            wow now I am totally confused and I bet others are to so the target has a center hole drawn on it what makes this differnet than a standard target ??

            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 4, 2013
              Nothing.

              Randal in his earlier post brought up the reasons why the competition was changed to regular target.
              "I wonder now why both couldn't be allowed, so that people who were willing to deal with cutting the center out of the target backing, figuring out how to support it without the center leg I see on so many butt stands, and chasing down arrows that go through the hole could do so (and how do you tell the difference between pass throughs and misses?). I also wonder whether I am just turning into a trouble maker in my old age!

              Randal"

              The problem with telling hits from arrows that missed the target and passed by would have required something wide and high enough to block all misses from passing the target. This type of added construction would have greatly limited those willing to set up and run the competition.

              The original rules were not clear as to intent or how to implement the competition. So it was easier just to remove the hole. The general SSAC equipment rules are based on the IKAC rules and do not permit blunts anyway.

              This is why I want all competitions brought up for discussion in the future before voting on them.

              Jon

              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 5, 2013
                Sorry for the confusion.  After discussing the final rules with Sir Jon, they have been updated and clarified. It seems that some folks browsers have cached the original rules and are not being properly updated.  The rules should start with "While this shoot was intended...." if they do not, please clear your cache and try again.

                To help this along quicker, here is the full rules as they stand for the remainder of this season:

                Shoot Begins: Monday, April 1, 2013
                Shoot Ends: Sunday, June 30, 2013
                Scores must be Submitted by: Monday, July 15, 2013 and within 14 days of being shot.

                Rules:
                While this shoot was intended for Combat Archery it has been adapted to Target Archery, the object was to shoot through a 'hole' in the target, however for the SSAC it is to be shot with standard target arrows and 'hole' is only a circle drawn onto the target. So then name is a bit of a misnomer, held over from the original CA concept as there is no longer a 'hole' for arrows to pass through in the target archery version of this shoot.

                Please read the SSAC General Rules, as these apply to all SSAC shoots. Below are the additional rules for this specific shoot.

                Target:
                The target is a 24"x24" (60cm) square with a 5.5" (14cm) diameter circle (the 'hole') drawn in the middle of the square.

                Scoring:
                5 Points for any arrow hitting the circle (the 'hole'). 1 Point for any arrow hitting the target square. Arrows touching the lines count in the Archer's favor.

                Ranges:
                Adult Range is 30 yards.
                Youth Ranges is 15 yards.

                Running the Shoot:
                For each of the three ends shoot 10 arrows.

                A perfect score would be: 50 points per end for 150 total

                Hopefully this helps clear up the confusion some.

                In Service,
                Jonathas

                My concern was weather they shot immediately thru the hole at a target 30 yards down range thanks for the clarificataion

                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 5, 2013
                  Randal,

                  So in essense your doing nothing more than shooting a target at 30 yards ? Seems a rather disapointing shoot to me if that's all there is to it.

                  Gaelen O'Gradaigh