Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Blunts Pass Through update

  • Bill Tait
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 3 10:55 PM

      You can still use the circle to represent the hole, as long as it is scored "inside out", meaning that the arrow cannot touch the edge at all, must be completely inside the circle.

      William Arwemakere

      On Apr 3, 2013 10:35 PM, "ladyjohannatrewpeny" <johannatrueshot@...> wrote:

      Um.... passing through what hole? If we delete the hole, then do you mean "Hitting the center circle?"
      Actually, I thought having a target with a hole in the center would be fun!

      I voted for the "blunts pass through" with the understanding that it was for target pointed arrows. Yes a change in name would make it less confusing, however if you change the target it isn't a pass-through either! Let's call it the 'misnomer' - grins.

      I liked the 30 yard distance as my archers need to polish longer distances and this challenge will give us an extra incentive. :)

      I still REALLY would like us to do this AND the competitive with the same target AT the same time. There's still time to add it!!

      Smiles,
      Lady Johanna

    • Taslen
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 4 5:39 AM
        My only other question is how far away from the line is the "pass through" target?

        Gaelen

        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 4 8:40 AM
          From the rules:
          Ranges:
          Adult Range is 30 yards.
          Youth Ranges is 15 yards.

          Jon

          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 4 6:12 PM
            My concern was weather they shot immediately thru the hole at a target 30 yards down range thanks for the clarificataion

            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 4 6:14 PM
              so my understanding is that the passtrough is 30 yards down range how far behond that is the target. Not trying to be dense here but I want to do it right for my people

              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 4 8:11 PM
                Jonathas will be delating the sentence about "
                The object is to shoot through a 'hole' in the target."

                This does not belong in the revised version of the rules.  The target is 30 yards down range and there is no hole in it.

                Jon

                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 4 8:29 PM
                  Taslen,

                  As I understand it, the original intent was that the target face is 30 yards down range, and it has the hole in it, and you get more points for getting your arrows through that hole than for hitting the target itself. Basically, the "bull's eye" is a hole rather than a circle.

                  As I understand the rewritten rules, the hole is replaced by a circle drawn or painted on the target face.

                  I wonder now why both couldn't be allowed, so that people who were willing to deal with cutting the center out of the target backing, figuring out how to support it without the center leg I see on so many butt stands, and chasing down arrows that go through the hole could do so (and how do you tell the difference between pass throughs and misses?). I also wonder whether I am just turning into a trouble maker in my old age!

                  Randal

                  --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Taslen <taslen2000@...> wrote:

                  > so my understanding is that the passtrough is 30 yards down range how far behond that is the target. Not trying to be dense here but I want to do it right for my people
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                • Taslen
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 4 8:30 PM
                    Jon,

                    My understanding is that there will be a obstacal that the have to shoot thru to hit a target and that for adults the obstacle is 30 yards down range am I correct?

                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 4 8:40 PM
                      There is no "shoot through" obstacle. There is just the target with a circle "hole" drawn upon it.

                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 4 8:43 PM
                        wow now I am totally confused and I bet others are to so the target has a center hole drawn on it what makes this differnet than a standard target ??

                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 4 9:11 PM
                          Nothing.

                          Randal in his earlier post brought up the reasons why the competition was changed to regular target.
                          "I wonder now why both couldn't be allowed, so that people who were willing to deal with cutting the center out of the target backing, figuring out how to support it without the center leg I see on so many butt stands, and chasing down arrows that go through the hole could do so (and how do you tell the difference between pass throughs and misses?). I also wonder whether I am just turning into a trouble maker in my old age!

                          Randal"

                          The problem with telling hits from arrows that missed the target and passed by would have required something wide and high enough to block all misses from passing the target. This type of added construction would have greatly limited those willing to set up and run the competition.

                          The original rules were not clear as to intent or how to implement the competition. So it was easier just to remove the hole. The general SSAC equipment rules are based on the IKAC rules and do not permit blunts anyway.

                          This is why I want all competitions brought up for discussion in the future before voting on them.

                          Jon

                          Message 12 of 15 , Apr 5 6:24 AM
                            Sorry for the confusion.  After discussing the final rules with Sir Jon, they have been updated and clarified. It seems that some folks browsers have cached the original rules and are not being properly updated.  The rules should start with "While this shoot was intended...." if they do not, please clear your cache and try again.

                            To help this along quicker, here is the full rules as they stand for the remainder of this season:

                            Shoot Begins: Monday, April 1, 2013
                            Shoot Ends: Sunday, June 30, 2013
                            Scores must be Submitted by: Monday, July 15, 2013 and within 14 days of being shot.

                            Rules:
                            While this shoot was intended for Combat Archery it has been adapted to Target Archery, the object was to shoot through a 'hole' in the target, however for the SSAC it is to be shot with standard target arrows and 'hole' is only a circle drawn onto the target. So then name is a bit of a misnomer, held over from the original CA concept as there is no longer a 'hole' for arrows to pass through in the target archery version of this shoot.

                            Please read the SSAC General Rules, as these apply to all SSAC shoots. Below are the additional rules for this specific shoot.

                            Target:
                            The target is a 24"x24" (60cm) square with a 5.5" (14cm) diameter circle (the 'hole') drawn in the middle of the square.

                            Scoring:
                            5 Points for any arrow hitting the circle (the 'hole'). 1 Point for any arrow hitting the target square. Arrows touching the lines count in the Archer's favor.

                            Ranges:
                            Adult Range is 30 yards.
                            Youth Ranges is 15 yards.

                            Running the Shoot:
                            For each of the three ends shoot 10 arrows.

                            A perfect score would be: 50 points per end for 150 total

                            Hopefully this helps clear up the confusion some.

                            In Service,
                            Jonathas

                            Message 13 of 15 , Apr 5 3:50 PM
                              Randal,

                              So in essense your doing nothing more than shooting a target at 30 yards ? Seems a rather disapointing shoot to me if that's all there is to it.

                              Gaelen O'Gradaigh