Re: greetings and arm guard design question

  • The Greys
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 3, 2013
      Gaelen,
      YEEOWZA! I would be honored! Contact me off list and we can talk.

      cog

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Taslen <taslen2000@...> wrote:

      > Cog,
      >
      > Would you consider letting us use those images and maybe you write a article on the construction for a upcoming issue of Quivers and Quarrels?
      >
      > Gaelen O'Gradaigh
      > Co-editor of Quivers and Quarrels
      > The Official SCA archery newsletter
      >

      > ________________________________

    • The Greys
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 3, 2013
        Sir Jon has provided some excellent advice here. A few comments.

        Hardened leather - There is the misbelief in the SCA that the only way to harden leather is to boil it in wax. In fact the process is called elastomerization wherein the structure of the leather changes. To accomplish this the leather need only be raised to about 120 degrees for a few minutes. Thgus wax or water enable the process. An interesting test is to cut a piece of leather 1 inch square. Drop it in boiling water for about 10 minutes. When you take it out it will be black and semi-flexible. Let it cool and it will be very hard. HOWEVER, strike it with a hammer on a hard surface and it will shatter! It will also be about 3/4 inch square and any tooling or carving you may have put on it will be gone.

        The best way to harden leather in a controlled fashion is to pre-heat your oven to about 200 degrees. Get the leather moist, turn off the oven, and place the item in the oven. Small items like arm guards would take about 5 - 7 minutes, larger items like pieces of armor would take a bit longer. When you take the item out it will be hot and semi-flexible. Shape it to the shape you want and let it cool. You will now have hardened leather in the shape you want that did NOT shrink. You can repeat the process if need be with no damage to the item.

        Now if you want to be totally period in hardening your leather soak it in a vat of urine. It will harden it up real nice. For armor this is great 'cuz no one will want to be within 100 yards of you on the battle field! And, yes, this was a period method of hardening leather.

        PVC - An alternative to using PVC to simulate ivory is to go to your local pet store and check out their bone chew section. I've been able to find some fairly large pieces with a reasonably flat side to them that could be cut and shaped for an arm guard. Short of that you could probably ask the butcher at your local grocery store for a large bone. Boil it to remove all the grease and left over pieces.

        Just a few ideas.

        cog

        > I did a quick Google search for combinations of: Medieval. Mary Rose. Bracer.
        > Arm guard. There are several good examples of real medieval style bracers to be
        > found. One thing the period bracers seem to have in common is that they use
        > buckled straps to hold them in place, not lacing, or metal hooks. The laced on
        > style is more a modern traditional style of fastening. The straps are usually
        > single, double or “Y” shaped.
        >

        > Most are made of thick leather which is often hardened. Google “harden leather
        > “ or “cuir bouilli” for information on the process. Soft leather like garment
        > leather is not a good idea because it can sometimes form winkles on which the
        > string can hang up. Bracers were also made from ivory, horn or tortoise shell.
        >

        > If you would like an ivory look-alike bracer you can use a section of two inch
        > PVC pipe, cut it in half, heat it up and flatten it. Cut it to shape, engrave
        > your design and ink it in. Then reheat and form to arm and add straping.
        >

        > Any of the suggestions will work to protect your arm from the string. However,
        > with a little research you make a period style bracer.
        >

        > The “Journal of the Society of Archer-Antiquaries” number 33, 1990 has an
        > excellent article “Some Notes on Antique Archery Arm-guards” by Hugh Soar.
        >

        > Below are some of the sites where I found good photos and information.
        >
        > http://leatherworkingreverend.wordpress.com/2009/09/05/tudor-commonwealth-archers-arm-guard/
        >

        > http://coppergate.com.au/sales/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=31
        >

        > http://www.flybowshop.com/assets/s2dmain.html?http://www.flybowshop.com/50271695190a6950a/5031709fe908ab81a.html
        >

        > http://pinterest.com/archanejil/armour-leather-arms/
        >
        > http://www.livinghistory.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=26904
        > (Engraved ivory bracer is about four fifths of the way down after interesting
        > discussion on arrow bags.)
        >
        > http://www.dellacivetta.org/lorenzo/?cat=36
        > (Bracer is about a third of the way down.)
        >
        > http://www.britishmuseum.org/explore/highlights/highlight_objects/pe_mla/a/archers_bracer.aspx
        >

        > http://www.karlrobinson.co.uk/other_stuff_archery_bracers.php
        >
        > I hope this information will be of help to you.
        >
        > Jon

      • C K
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 4, 2013
          Thank you all for the wealth of information.  It's great to find a list that so embraces newbies and their questions. :)
          Thank you!
          Azzah

          Sayyidah 'Azzah bint al-Badawi al-Murabbiyyah al-Rualliyyah and Aziza
          Shattered Crystal, Midlands, Midrealm
          http://www.azzah.net
        • Chris Ivins
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 4, 2013
            Azzah,
            You are most welcome, I am a relatively recent newbie, I've been shooting for about a year, and I really do learn something new every day! The arm guard is one of the few things I have made for my gear myself so far.

            - Iurii