Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: greetings and arm guard design question

  • Chris Ivins
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 1, 2013
      I have an arm guard I made, has 4 holes on each side, and I lace the leather string/thong in a cross pattern between alternating holes.
      I start at one end of the brace, pulling the cord through the holes snugly, once that is done to the last hole on the end of theguard/bracer, I pull it snug a final time as I tuck it under the arm guard, which holds it in place.

      - Iurii

      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 2, 2013
        Azzah,
        Cog album, photos section, this list has the pattern of one style of arm guard and a picture of another style. The tooled arm guard uses three "buttons" and elastic cord to hold it on. The buttons are held on using leather lacing that passes through two holes on the arm guard and a single hole in the "button". A square knot keeps the button on. However the easiest way to attach the arm guard is to put a button in the middle of each edge, then attach the elastic cording at each end. To put it on all you do is stretch the cording to loop it around the button on the opposite side. Simple, easy no fuss and no extra strings hanging down to get caught in your bow string.

        Now if your bow does not have an arrow rest I've also made an arm guard that has a bow glove built right in to it. By bow glove I really mean a partial glove that covers the index finger and thumb where the arrow, actually the fletching, could possibly hit. This arm guard I lace on.

        The album also has pictures of some of the quivers I've made.

        cog

        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "thepyratequeen" <ThePyrateQueen@...> wrote:

        > Thank you!
        >
        > Azzah
      • Taslen
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 2, 2013
          Cog,

          Would you consider letting us use those images and maybe you write a article on the construction for a upcoming issue of Quivers and Quarrels?

          Gaelen O'Gradaigh
          Co-editor of Quivers and Quarrels
          The Official SCA archery newsletter

          Cog album, photos section, this list has the pattern of one style of arm guard and a picture of another style. The tooled arm guard uses three "buttons" and elastic cord to hold it on. The buttons are held on using leather lacing that passes through two holes on the arm guard and a single hole in the "button". A square knot keeps the button on. However the easiest way to attach the arm guard is to put a button in the middle of each edge, then attach the elastic cording at each end. To put it on all you do is stretch the cording to loop it around the button on the opposite side. Simple, easy no fuss and no extra strings hanging down to get caught in your bow string.

          Now if your bow does not have an arrow rest I've also made an arm guard that has a bow glove built right in to it. By bow glove I really mean a partial glove that covers the index finger and thumb where the arrow, actually the fletching, could possibly hit. This arm guard I lace on.

          The album also has pictures of some of the quivers I've made.

          cog

          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "thepyratequeen" <ThePyrateQueen@...> wrote:

          > Thank you!
          >
          > Azzah

        • thepyratequeen
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 2, 2013
            I was thinking short, but I guess we'll see how many times I smack myself with the string above or below it. :) I'd love to see the pattern you mention.

            My quivers are very, very basic, one with a simple carry strap and one with a curved strap that ideally will fit over my saddle horn. I'm sorry I don't know enough yet to answer your question better-- I'm sure there are terms for what I've made, I just don't know them! :)

            Thank you,
            Azzah

            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Caterina Fortuna <cat4tuna@...> wrote:

            > Do you want a short or long bracer?
            > I can email you a pattern to print out.
            >
            > I punch holes then use Chicago screws and lace hooks, then use those non
            > metal hair ties to "lace on". Or screw back conchos.
            >
            > Btw, what style quivers are you making?
            > Cat
            > On Apr 1, 2013 11:28 AM, "thepyratequeen" <ThePyrateQueen@...> wrote:
            >
            > > **
            > >

            > > Hello! I'm brand new to the list and to archery, and I've been enjoying
            > > making some of my own equipment. I'm making a couple of quivers and have
            > > plenty of leather left over that I'd like to use to make an arm guard. Can
            > > anyone suggest some good designs that I could put on by myself (i.e., not
            > > one that ties in a way that I would always need help)?
            > >
            > > Thank you,
            > > Azzah

          • thepyratequeen
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 2, 2013
              Thank you to everyone who has answered my question! I appreciate your willingness to help a novice. :)

              Azzah
            • Taslen
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 2, 2013
                Azzah,

                Welcome to our world!!! If I can be of any help or any os for that matter. Just feel free to ask I am also one of the Co-editors of  the new SCA archery newsletter called "Quivers & Quarrels" If you would like a copy of the first edition I can email it to you.

                Gaelen O'Gradiagh

                Midrealm archery marshal of the field
                Co-editor Quivers and Quarrels

                I was thinking short, but I guess we'll see how many times I smack myself with the string above or below it. :) I'd love to see the pattern you mention.

                My quivers are very, very basic, one with a simple carry strap and one with a curved strap that ideally will fit over my saddle horn. I'm sorry I don't know enough yet to answer your question better-- I'm sure there are terms for what I've made, I just don't know them! :)

                Thank you,
                Azzah

                --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Caterina Fortuna <cat4tuna@...> wrote:

                > Do you want a short or long bracer?
                > I can email you a pattern to print out.
                >
                > I punch holes then use Chicago screws and lace hooks, then use those non
                > metal hair ties to "lace on". Or screw back conchos.
                >
                > Btw, what style quivers are you making?
                > Cat
                > On Apr 1, 2013 11:28 AM, "thepyratequeen" <ThePyrateQueen@...> wrote:
                >
                > > **
                > >

                > > Hello! I'm brand new to the list and to archery, and I've been enjoying
                > > making some of my own equipment. I'm making a couple of quivers and have
                > > plenty of leather left over that I'd like to use to make an arm guard. Can
                > > anyone suggest some good designs that I could put on by myself (i.e., not
                > > one that ties in a way that I would always need help)?
                > >
                > > Thank you,
                > > Azzah

              • John Edgerton
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 2, 2013

                  I did a quick Google search for combinations of: Medieval. Mary Rose. Bracer. Arm guard. There are several good examples of real medieval style bracers to be found.  One thing the period bracers seem to have in common is that they use buckled straps to hold them in place, not lacing, or metal hooks. The laced on style is more a modern traditional style of fastening. The straps are usually single, double or “Y” shaped.

                  Most are made of thick leather which is often hardened.  Google “harden leather “ or “cuir bouilli” for information on the process. Soft leather like garment leather is not a good idea because it can sometimes form winkles on which the string can hang up. Bracers were also made from ivory, horn or tortoise shell.

                  If you would like an ivory look-alike bracer you can use a section of two inch PVC pipe, cut it in half, heat it up and flatten it. Cut it to shape, engrave your design and ink it in.  Then reheat and form to arm and add straping.

                  Any of the suggestions will work to protect your arm from the string.  However, with a little research you make a period style bracer.

                  The “Journal of the Society of Archer-Antiquaries” number 33, 1990 has an excellent article “Some Notes on Antique Archery Arm-guards” by Hugh Soar.

                  Below are some of the sites where I found good photos and information.

                  http://leatherworkingreverend.wordpress.com/2009/09/05/tudor-commonwealth-archers-arm-guard/

                  http://coppergate.com.au/sales/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=31

                  http://www.flybowshop.com/assets/s2dmain.html?http://www.flybowshop.com/50271695190a6950a/5031709fe908ab81a.html

                  http://pinterest.com/archanejil/armour-leather-arms/

                  http://www.livinghistory.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=26904

                  (Engraved ivory bracer is about four fifths of the way down after interesting discussion on arrow bags.)

                  http://www.dellacivetta.org/lorenzo/?cat=36

                  (Bracer is about a third of the way down.)

                  http://www.britishmuseum.org/explore/highlights/highlight_objects/pe_mla/a/archers_bracer.aspx

                  http://www.karlrobinson.co.uk/other_stuff_archery_bracers.php

                  I hope this information will be of help to you.

                  Jon

                • The Greys
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 3, 2013
                    Gaelen,
                    YEEOWZA! I would be honored! Contact me off list and we can talk.

                    cog

                    --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Taslen <taslen2000@...> wrote:

                    > Cog,
                    >
                    > Would you consider letting us use those images and maybe you write a article on the construction for a upcoming issue of Quivers and Quarrels?
                    >
                    > Gaelen O'Gradaigh
                    > Co-editor of Quivers and Quarrels
                    > The Official SCA archery newsletter
                    >

                    > ________________________________

                  • The Greys
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 3, 2013
                      Sir Jon has provided some excellent advice here. A few comments.

                      Hardened leather - There is the misbelief in the SCA that the only way to harden leather is to boil it in wax. In fact the process is called elastomerization wherein the structure of the leather changes. To accomplish this the leather need only be raised to about 120 degrees for a few minutes. Thgus wax or water enable the process. An interesting test is to cut a piece of leather 1 inch square. Drop it in boiling water for about 10 minutes. When you take it out it will be black and semi-flexible. Let it cool and it will be very hard. HOWEVER, strike it with a hammer on a hard surface and it will shatter! It will also be about 3/4 inch square and any tooling or carving you may have put on it will be gone.

                      The best way to harden leather in a controlled fashion is to pre-heat your oven to about 200 degrees. Get the leather moist, turn off the oven, and place the item in the oven. Small items like arm guards would take about 5 - 7 minutes, larger items like pieces of armor would take a bit longer. When you take the item out it will be hot and semi-flexible. Shape it to the shape you want and let it cool. You will now have hardened leather in the shape you want that did NOT shrink. You can repeat the process if need be with no damage to the item.

                      Now if you want to be totally period in hardening your leather soak it in a vat of urine. It will harden it up real nice. For armor this is great 'cuz no one will want to be within 100 yards of you on the battle field! And, yes, this was a period method of hardening leather.

                      PVC - An alternative to using PVC to simulate ivory is to go to your local pet store and check out their bone chew section. I've been able to find some fairly large pieces with a reasonably flat side to them that could be cut and shaped for an arm guard. Short of that you could probably ask the butcher at your local grocery store for a large bone. Boil it to remove all the grease and left over pieces.

                      Just a few ideas.

                      cog

                      > I did a quick Google search for combinations of: Medieval. Mary Rose. Bracer.
                      > Arm guard. There are several good examples of real medieval style bracers to be
                      > found. One thing the period bracers seem to have in common is that they use
                      > buckled straps to hold them in place, not lacing, or metal hooks. The laced on
                      > style is more a modern traditional style of fastening. The straps are usually
                      > single, double or “Y” shaped.
                      >

                      > Most are made of thick leather which is often hardened. Google “harden leather
                      > “ or “cuir bouilli” for information on the process. Soft leather like garment
                      > leather is not a good idea because it can sometimes form winkles on which the
                      > string can hang up. Bracers were also made from ivory, horn or tortoise shell.
                      >

                      > If you would like an ivory look-alike bracer you can use a section of two inch
                      > PVC pipe, cut it in half, heat it up and flatten it. Cut it to shape, engrave
                      > your design and ink it in. Then reheat and form to arm and add straping.
                      >

                      > Any of the suggestions will work to protect your arm from the string. However,
                      > with a little research you make a period style bracer.
                      >

                      > The “Journal of the Society of Archer-Antiquaries” number 33, 1990 has an
                      > excellent article “Some Notes on Antique Archery Arm-guards” by Hugh Soar.
                      >

                      > Below are some of the sites where I found good photos and information.
                      >
                      > http://leatherworkingreverend.wordpress.com/2009/09/05/tudor-commonwealth-archers-arm-guard/
                      >

                      > http://coppergate.com.au/sales/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=31
                      >

                      > http://www.flybowshop.com/assets/s2dmain.html?http://www.flybowshop.com/50271695190a6950a/5031709fe908ab81a.html
                      >

                      > http://pinterest.com/archanejil/armour-leather-arms/
                      >
                      > http://www.livinghistory.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=26904
                      > (Engraved ivory bracer is about four fifths of the way down after interesting
                      > discussion on arrow bags.)
                      >
                      > http://www.dellacivetta.org/lorenzo/?cat=36
                      > (Bracer is about a third of the way down.)
                      >
                      > http://www.britishmuseum.org/explore/highlights/highlight_objects/pe_mla/a/archers_bracer.aspx
                      >

                      > http://www.karlrobinson.co.uk/other_stuff_archery_bracers.php
                      >
                      > I hope this information will be of help to you.
                      >
                      > Jon

                    • C K
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 4, 2013
                        Thank you all for the wealth of information.  It's great to find a list that so embraces newbies and their questions. :)
                        Thank you!
                        Azzah

                        Sayyidah 'Azzah bint al-Badawi al-Murabbiyyah al-Rualliyyah and Aziza
                        Shattered Crystal, Midlands, Midrealm
                        http://www.azzah.net
                      • Chris Ivins
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 4, 2013
                          Azzah,
                          You are most welcome, I am a relatively recent newbie, I've been shooting for about a year, and I really do learn something new every day! The arm guard is one of the few things I have made for my gear myself so far.

                          - Iurii