Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: New SSAC competition?

  • Jonathas
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 31, 2013

      Johanna,

      Great idea, I was trying to figure out how to keep the period nature but take out the elimination so that every one can enjoy.  Building on your idea, run the two shoots simultaneously, the Nottingham and the Sherwood, with the same targets and scoring except the Sherwood does not have the bonuses and elimination.  This way they can be shot on the same range at the same time. Basically everyone shoots the Sherwood, the marshal keeps track of who has been eliminated and who has gotten bonus points.  The only the winner submits to the Nottingham, since only the winners name would have been announce in the town square. The winner can also submit their Sherwood score they just shot, minus any bonuses they got.

      Jonathas

      On Mar 30, 2013 9:37 PM, "ladyjohannatrewpeny" <johannatrueshot@...> wrote:

      Thank you for the fun Nottingham shoot!
      It looks like fun and excellent period styling!

      You asked for ideas to improve it, so here's mine.

      Create a Second shoot by removing the elimination factor but keeping the SAME scoring with the SAME target during the SAME season. Make a good thing twice as good!

      Groups with fewer than 8 could still participate and would be good practice for all and let them experience all the distances! It would build camaraderie, rather than emphasize the elimination of newer/less skilled archers. It would remove the 'sitting around waiting' factor. While challenging, elimination shoots are often more fun for those that are good enough to compete.

      This would be more like what might have happened back at camp rather than at the tournament in town so, call it the SHERWOOD!

      Groups could choose to shoot a Sherwood or Nottingham due to the number and skill of those that showed up and still only need the one target and possibly both in one day!

      Both could be posted on the SSAC page easily. I'll make you scoresheets!

      Hoping to shoot it soon!
      Sweeps a curtsy,
      Lady Johanna

    • Taslen
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 31, 2013
        Ok but we are talking future events right? I have a tournament on the 20th and need more on the current shoot so I can run it.

        Gaelen

        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 31, 2013
          The Nottingham shoot is not being considered for the Spring SSAC. It, in whatever form, will be on the list for the Sumer shoot.

          Jon

          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 31, 2013
            Right that was my thought too however if I have time I may run it just as a "fun shoot"