Re: [SCA-Archery] New SSAC competition?

  • John Edgerton
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 29, 2013
    • 1 Attachment
    • 223 KB
    Atached is a photo of a foam core roundel with the measuring string attached. The remainder of the target is just the 24 inch circle that it is centered within. I will do up a photo of the full target later.
    Jon
  • ladyjohannatrewpeny
    Message 2 of 12 , Mar 30, 2013
      Thank you for the fun Nottingham shoot!
      It looks like fun and excellent period styling!

      You asked for ideas to improve it, so here's mine.

      Create a Second shoot by removing the elimination factor but keeping the SAME scoring with the SAME target during the SAME season. Make a good thing twice as good!

      Groups with fewer than 8 could still participate and would be good practice for all and let them experience all the distances! It would build camaraderie, rather than emphasize the elimination of newer/less skilled archers. It would remove the 'sitting around waiting' factor. While challenging, elimination shoots are often more fun for those that are good enough to compete.

      This would be more like what might have happened back at camp rather than at the tournament in town so, call it the SHERWOOD!

      Groups could choose to shoot a Sherwood or Nottingham due to the number and skill of those that showed up and still only need the one target and possibly both in one day!

      Both could be posted on the SSAC page easily. I'll make you scoresheets!

      Hoping to shoot it soon!
      Sweeps a curtsy,
      Lady Johanna
    • Taslen
      Message 3 of 12 , Mar 30, 2013
        Lady Johanna,

        I like the idea but I am not following you. So if they would have been eliminated they move to the second shoot? Can you explain further? Nice curtsey BTW!

        Gaelen

        Message 4 of 12 , Mar 30, 2013
          I believe she's saying to completely remove the elimination part. so less experienced archers can still participate, and enjoy the time launching arrows as those competing for the top scores in the shoot. just paraphrasing...

          Message 5 of 12 , Mar 30, 2013

            Thanks for the question.  Here is the 'version' I'm suggesting.

            The Sherwood Shoot

            The Sherwood Shoot is similar to Sir Jon’s Nottingham Competition.  Back at Robin Hood's camp archers improve their camaraderie and skill by shooting at the same distances.  Archers may join the shoot at any distance.

            The target is an 8” white roundel with a 2” black dot or “peg” in the center. There is a thin metal pin (finish nail or coat hanger, etc.) in the center of this for attaching a string for measuring the closest arrows for scoring purposes. The roundel is placed in the center of a 24” circle. Only one target is used.

             The distance starts at 25 yards and increases by 5 yards at each of the four ends. 25, 30, 35, and 40 yards. This fits easily on a Royal Round or IKAC range set up.  This is a score based shoot, all archers shoot at each range.  In Sherwood the order of ends is immaterial but all distances must be scored to count a round.   If an end is not shot the score for that end is 0.

             The number of arrows per end is two. You should choose the three best matched of your arrows, with the third as a spare in case of loss or breakage. All three arrows must have the name of the archer written upon them near the fletchings or must be easily identifiable in some way.

             Scoring is one point each for arrows within the 24” circle or touching the line. Three points for within the roundel or touching the roundel. And five points for within or touching the “peg”. There is a five-point bonus for the one arrow closest to the center in each end. There is a possible maximum score of fifteen points per end and a competition maximum total of sixty points.

             Closest arrow bonus is determined by first removing those that are obviously furthest from the center.  The remaining arrows may be determined by eye or by placing the string on the metal pin in the center and using it to the measure the comparative distances (A ruler may also be used).

            An individual archer may only receive one bonus per end.  If one or more arrows from different archers are equally close to the center, they all receive the five point bonus. The marshal in charge shall determine the closest arrow when there is a question of which is closest.

            Happily,

            Lady Johanna Trewpeny

          • John Edgerton
            Message 6 of 12 , Mar 30, 2013
              Creating a second separate shoot could cause some problems with scoring for the overall SSAC  competition.

              So ... instead of eliminating archers, how about eliminating their chance at a bonus in that end. See below.

              I think that a "Sherwood" shoot back at camp would properly include a clout to the losers ear in period or least by the Robin Hood legends or at least a forfeit. :-)
              ************

              "Scoring is one point each for arrows within the 24” circle or touching the line. Three points for within the roundel or touching the roundel. And five points for within or touching the “peg”.

              There is a three point bonus for the half of the archers whose arrows are closest to the center of the target. For example, if there were 21 archers. The 11 archers (10.5 rounded up to 11) with the arrows closest to the center would receive the bonus. The rounding up is to the next highest number if half of the archers is a fraction. E.g. 10.5 becomes 11, 9.5 becomes 10, 2.5 becomes 3, etc.

              Only the closest of their two arrows counts for determining a bonus. Arrows outside of the 24-inch circle do not qualify for bonus points.

              There is a five-point bonus for the one arrow closest to the center in each end.

              There is a possible maximum score of eighteen points per end and a competition maximum total of seventy two points."

              Jon

                Message 8 of 12 , Mar 31, 2013
                  Ok but we are talking future events right? I have a tournament on the 20th and need more on the current shoot so I can run it.

                  Gaelen

                  Message 9 of 12 , Mar 31, 2013
                    The Nottingham shoot is not being considered for the Spring SSAC. It, in whatever form, will be on the list for the Sumer shoot.

                    Jon

                    Message 10 of 12 , Mar 31, 2013
                      Right that was my thought too however if I have time I may run it just as a "fun shoot"