Height of Target, Burlap in bulk

  • aelric_southlake
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 28, 2013
      Woah! I went searching back to find a post about a bow making class, wanted to contact relevant parties, and realized there were way more responses and tangents to my question about target height..

      Some good stuff I didn't see!

      This is all belated but:

      I won't ever use peanut bags! promise! food allergies are no joke!

      And yes, shooting variety is crucial for sure... I try to shoot at different heights and kinds of targets whenever possible. Joined an outdoor range last year that has a hiking course, 3D targets... I was just asking cuz I figured since I was making a target stand for the back yard, I should find out if there were any standards that might inform my set up.

      Legalities: Wow, had never thought of that... oi!.. fortunately my side neighbors are super cool (so far) and there isn't a neighbor behind my place (where the arrows go). Put up two 4x8 sheets of plywood to protect the old fence. So... hopefully that'll remain ok - what with having gone and built the stand already.

      BURLAP. Where do you get the huge swaths of burlap you see landscapers use to gather up trimmings and whatnot? Buying burlap at a fabric store ain't that cheap for something that is ostensibly a utilitarian, rough grade fabric. The burlap I've looked at on-line all seems to refer back to fabric store/crafty type vendors... Would love to get my hands on some of that landscaper stuff... Who knows, maybe they pay top dollar for it too, but I doubt it...

      ~ A
    • Dawn Ratz
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 28, 2013
        Here are some burlap resources I found : http://www.uline.com/BL_227/Burlap-Bags?pricode=WK645&gclid=CK_O6L6GobYCFQUHnQodVXgAfA&gclsrc=aw.ds

        Happy Shooting!

        Gio

        On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 11:53 PM, aelric_southlake <magnetcoil@...> wrote:

[...]

      • Kathaleen House
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 28, 2013
          I'm not sure were you are but if you have access to a wool growers place or any type of sheep/wool type processing store you may be able to get burlap cheap or even free. They use burlap bags to store wool in so you can buy huge burlap sacks for cheap. If you don't mind the wool bits in them they may even give you the old used sacks for free.
        • Grazia Morgano
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 28, 2013
            My mom gets large burlap bags from coffee shops for $1 each. They just throw them away otherwise.

            Grazia
          • Caterina Fortuna
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 28, 2013

              >Put up two 4x8 sheets of plywood to protect the old fence. So... hopefully that'll remain ok -

              That should be fine. If you are the only person using the range, you can pretty much do whatever. I'd hope that it won't take long for you to not miss the target. There are many on this list that can help you. We try to teach everyone on our ranges to where they are good enough to at least not miss the target and bales. Digging around for arrows in wet mud is unpleasant to say the least. ;)

              > BURLAP. Where do you get the huge swaths of burlap you see landscapers use to gather up trimmings and whatnot?

              I'd check out freecycle, craigslist, estate sales, thrift stores, and recycle shops for free or cheap materials. Try estate and garage sales toward the end, as they generally will just take the rest over to goodwill. Locally, Safeway has a bin that people toss in their mostly clean plastic bags. For those who want to try stuffing them into a sack. We also have a couple of places that recycles or upcycles used materials such as fabric and building supplies. That's how I make some of our novelty targets.

              On occasion, you can stop by a (smaller) construction site and ask the head person what they plan on doing with their scraps and trash (too small for them to use) items. Most would welcome a smaller dump run.

              There is an amazing amount of stuff you can get for free with minimal effort. Usually, if I show up with a truck or suv I can fill it with usable items. Lol
              Cat

            • Caterina Fortuna
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 28, 2013

                Have you tried feed stores?
                Cat

              • The Greys
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 29, 2013
                  Apologies, forgot about peanut allergies. However, fear not, a highly suitable alternative, as mentioned in posts here, are feed bags. They are made out of a fiberglass like (NOT FIBERGLASS) material that holds up nearly as well as peanut bags. You can get these free from horse owners or feed stores.

                  cog

                  --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "aelric_southlake" <magnetcoil@...> wrote:

                  > Woah! I went searching back to find a post about a bow making class, wanted to contact relevant parties, and realized there were way more responses and tangents to my question about target height..
                  >
                  > Some good stuff I didn't see!
                  >
                  > This is all belated but:
                  >
                  > I won't ever use peanut bags! promise! food allergies are no joke!
                  >
                  > And yes, shooting variety is crucial for sure... I try to shoot at different heights and kinds of targets whenever possible. Joined an outdoor range last year that has a hiking course, 3D targets... I was just asking cuz I figured since I was making a target stand for the back yard, I should find out if there were any standards that might inform my set up.
                  >
                  > Legalities: Wow, had never thought of that... oi!.. fortunately my side neighbors are super cool (so far) and there isn't a neighbor behind my place (where the arrows go). Put up two 4x8 sheets of plywood to protect the old fence. So... hopefully that'll remain ok - what with having gone and built the stand already.
                  >
                  > BURLAP. Where do you get the huge swaths of burlap you see landscapers use to gather up trimmings and whatnot? Buying burlap at a fabric store ain't that cheap for something that is ostensibly a utilitarian, rough grade fabric. The burlap I've looked at on-line all seems to refer back to fabric store/crafty type vendors... Would love to get my hands on some of that landscaper stuff... Who knows, maybe they pay top dollar for it too, but I doubt it...
                  >
                  > ~ A

                • William Davis
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 29, 2013
                    Greetings all,

                    Spring appears to have finally arrived in the northeast, and time to move practice outdoors.  This year's plan, includes the purchase of a new bow.  I have narrowed it down to 2 at this point, and am seeking reviews from those who may have experience with them.  Of those responding, I would ask two things.  1)  Please, if it is not about one of the two bows listed below, do not respond.  I know that, this, that, and the other bow are good bows, but my selection criteria has eliminated all those not listed.  2)  If you have something critical to say about one or the other bow, please provide specifics, such as, feel, weight, balance, appearance, it breaks/delaminates, etc.
                    The two bows currently under consideration are:
                         Greatree Solo Deluxe
                         Samick Trailblazer

                    I currently use a 35# Greatree Deerslayer recurve, with which I am greatly pleased, so my leaning is toward the Solo Deluxe, but I have handled one (not used) and find the grip a bit odd, which may be just a matter of adjustment.  Again, it would be a 35# draw.  The key questions I'd like answered are:
                         1)  Do either of these bows have a reputation for breaking/delaminating?
                         2)  How is the stacking?
                         3)  How is the handshock?
                         4)  Any other quirks these bows may have.

                    Gwilym of BBM

                  • lynn.palmieri
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 29, 2013

                      Another great target material is commercial shipping foam (closed cell polyethylene or similar).  At work we get various size and thickness of sheets that can be glued together or very easily cut into shapes for novelty targets.  One inch thickness on up has no problems in stopping arrows, though I prefer 2 inch for actually shaping stable targets.  If you or anyone you know works in a manufacturing environment, you may be able to obtain this for no cost (depends on the company’s recycling program).

                      Elynor.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 29, 2013
                        I put the boards up for those occasional "oopses," but I don't miss the target bag, really, it's the missing the center of the target that is the trouble now :) It's only 20 yards. Now, as far as getting instruction and getting better, well, that's an ongoing issue... :)

                        --- Caterina Fortuna wrote:
                        > I'd hope that it won't take long for you to not
                        > miss the target...

                        And, thank you for the burlap links/ideas everyone. Yeah, finding burlap bags and feed bags are no problem, and I've seen those huge 4' wide rolls on-line (way more than I'd ever need length-wise, unless I go into the target making business, ha ha ha). I was just hoping someone might've known where those big (they've gotta be, like, 6' across or more) burlap squares the landscapers use come from... Guess I'll have to try to talk to one of those guys when I see them at work sometime.
                      • Caterina Fortuna
                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 29, 2013

                          Sometimes if i hit wood or metal with my arrows (spruce mostly but sometimes high altitude older cedar) will fracture just inside the edge of the metal arrow point and straight across.
                          What helped my shooting was weeks and months of shooting at 10 & 15 yds.

                          Eventually upgrading to matched and tuned up equipment made it easier to be consistent. As well as hitting the library for books and videos...