Re: [SCA-Archery] Dear Western style archers- an open letter

  • Taslen
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 15, 2013
      Agreed

      Gaelen O'Gradaigh
      Midrealm

      From: Caterina Fortuna <cat4tuna@...>
      To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Friday, March 15, 2013 5:49 PM
      Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Dear Western style archers- an open letter

      Ensuring basic safety is the marshal's primary job.
      In this game we play, giving a bit of courtesy will get you a lot more in return. May I suggest in the future that you check in with the archery marshal on the range before you shoot. If you briefly explain your shooting style and show them your equipment, there would be no need to bother you while shooting. And they would keep others from disturbing you.
      My tip: be knowledgeable, confident, and display safety at all times. Possibly carry a sheet showing the positions of your (spiritual) method of shooting. Also, while not mandatory in every kingdom, please be knowledgeable about the parts of your equipment. If you show up with knot(s) in your string, you should know whether or not it is a bowyers knot.
      SCA archers seem to heckle and tease each other while shooting, so when anyone new comes to the range some of that will trickle down. I've seen it in multiple Kingdoms. Personally, I prefer a quiet range, but have had to accommodate for the noisy shooters.
      All too often, even at our local stores' ranges, I've had to stop shooting and give lessons to kids and adults so that they would stop pointing their arrows at the back of my head while drawing. Nothing kills my (meditative) archery buzz like arrows not pointed down range, shooting across several lanes unintentionally, dry firing, or shooting at me. Don't even joke about shooting me. Besides, the paperwork on that would be... Yeah, just don't go there.
      Yours in Service to the Dream,
      Signora Caterina Fortuna
      AnTir

    • Ken Dolphin
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 15, 2013
        Had you loaded up an arrow prior to straddling the line?

        KOS
        An Tir
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 15, 2013
          Giovanna
          If you are using a bow of an SCA approved type, the bow
          has been accepted by the TAM, you are not in a stance
          or draw position that violates safety, event rules or
          courtesy, I find a gently voiced, "Bugger off!", is
          effective with interferers. But then, I'm older with
          diminishing tolerance levels.
          Ranif

          --
          Nullus anxietas amicus
          Carpe argillam
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 15, 2013

            No, I did not begin to load till I just grew fustrated and just straddled the line and dropped the rest of the steps. I did begin trying to load it but I had people leaning over me on both sides that I could not turn. Thankfully once I started as if to load they moved and I could turn, straddle and load. By that point I was so flustered I am amazed I even got it nocked.

            You would think shooting from the ground an hour after shooting from rodeo prancing pony who was not listening to me at all would be easier LOL
            It however was not.

            Next time I will bring documentation and speak to who ever is running the range.

            Gio

            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 15, 2013
              Doesn't sound like any SCA range that I have ever been a part of. We have a couple of yumis, horsebows shot with or without thumb ring, many recurves, longbows, period longbows, and a few crossbows and period crossbows. All are able to shoot and it is up to the range marshal to make sure that safe procedures are followed.

              I hope you get everything cleared with the local group.

              KOS

              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 15, 2013

                Sadly it was not a local group. If it had been a local group I would have been more able to pull them aside and explained what I was doing.

                On Mar 15, 2013 8:48 PM, "Ken Dolphin" <kldolphin@...> wrote:

[...]

              • Steven Casort
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 15, 2013
                  Where on earth did this happen?!?
                  They were very rude and I would not wish to shoot at that range.

                  In Service
                  Ihon MacLucas
                  Ex CAID Minister of Archers
                  aka Steve Casort