New to the SCA

  • kill.uh_bee
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 5, 2013
      Howdy,

      I'm a new member to the SCA and interested in both target archery and combat archery. Is there a local group or contact in Caldarium I should speak with to get started?

      Thanks!

      Brad Grantham
      Gunnar halftroll
    • Mark
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 7, 2013
        Gunnar,

        The first place to check for these types of questions is your local group's website, in your case, http://www.caldarium.org/. The officer that you want to contact is the Chatelaine, who is the newcomer's person. Since you are asking about target and combat archery, the person that is in charge of that for your group would be the group Marshal.

        Looking at your shire calendar, you have a shire meeting coming up on Tuesday, March 13th. This would be a good chance for you to meet many of your shire members, find out who the Chatelaine and Marshal are, and probably get information in these things.

        Also, go to the Kingdom website: http://www.westkingdom.org On of the links at the top of the home page is "Are You New?". This might also provide some answers to questions that you did not yet know you had. The calendar section will also show when and where events are.

        Looking at the kingdom calendar, there is a "Newcomer's Event and Tourney" in central Santa Clara City, CA on April 13. This might be good for you to look into as well, if you can make it.

        Hope this gives you a start. I cannot help you much more than this since I am in the southeastern part of the Kingdom of Meridies (SW Georgia).

        Live the Dream,
        Antonio Tagliaferro

        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "kill.uh_bee" <kill.uh_bee@...> wrote:

        > Howdy,
        >
        > I'm a new member to the SCA and interested in both target archery and combat archery. Is there a local group or contact in Caldarium I should speak with to get started?
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > Brad Grantham
        > Gunnar halftroll

      • lynn.palmieri
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 7, 2013

          Thank you for your help Antonio!  I’ve contacted Gunnar offline and we’re getting him on Caldarium and our local Odd Bodkin lists and showing him where and when to join in.

          Elynor-Caldarium Seneschal

          The first place to check for these types of questions is your local group's website, in your case, http://www.caldarium.org/. The officer that you want to contact is the Chatelaine, who is the newcomer's person. Since you are asking about target and combat archery, the person that is in charge of that for your group would be the group Marshal.

          Looking at your shire calendar, you have a shire meeting coming up on Tuesday, March 13th. This would be a good chance for you to meet many of your shire members, find out who the Chatelaine and Marshal are, and probably get information in these things.

          Also, go to the Kingdom website: http://www.westkingdom.org. On of the links at the top of the home page is "Are You New?". This might also provide some answers to questions that you did not yet know you had. The calendar section will also show when and where events are.

          Looking at the kingdom calendar, there is a "Newcomer's Event and Tourney" in central Santa Clara City, CA on April 13. This might be good for you to look into as well, if you can make it.

          Hope this gives you a start. I cannot help you much more than this since I am in the southeastern part of the Kingdom of Meridies (SW Georgia).

          Live the Dream,
          Antonio Tagliaferro

          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "kill.uh_bee" <kill.uh_bee@...> wrote:

          > Howdy,
          >
          > I'm a new member to the SCA and interested in both target archery and combat archery. Is there a local group or contact in Caldarium I should speak with to get started?
          >
          > Thanks!
          >
          > Brad Grantham
          > Gunnar halftroll

        • Mark
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 8, 2013
            Your welcome. Thanks for hooking him up with the local groups he expressed an interest in.

            One thing that everyone should remember is that we were all new to the SCA once. We had no idea what was going on, or who to talk to. By being polite and helpful, even when you are 2500 miles away, when the person is new helps toward keeping the person around long-term. Blowing him or her off tends to result in blowing them away from the SCA.

            Respectfully,
            Antonio Tagliaferro