Re: [SCA-Archery] Height of target

  • talonoak
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 3, 2013

      Where I live, I have room in my backyard for a target as well. I wanted to set one up, but then checked with my local police station. I was told that since I had neighbors on 3 sides, I would not, legally, be able to set one up. You might want to check with your local police before setting up a target.

      My 2 cents worh,

      Eoin

      Iron Bog

      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 4, 2013
        Even if your local jurisdiction does not consider a hand bow to be a fire arm, almost all consider a crossbow to be such, as they are capable of being carried cocked and loaded. Also, the power of a crossbow makes blowing through a fence more likely in the event of missing the target. One more thing to consider for backyard ranges...

        Randal of Camusfearna

        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, stalek@... wrote:

        > Where I live, I have room in my backyard for a target as well. I wanted to set one up, but then checked with my local police station. I was told that since I had neighbors on 3 sides, I would not, legally, be able to set one up. You might want to check with your local police before setting up a target.
        >
        > My 2 cents worh,
        >
        > Eoin
        > Iron Bog
        <TRIMMED>
      • Caterina Fortuna
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 5, 2013

          Please, don't use peanut bags. Or tell anyone who touches your equipment that if they are allergic that can't be near you. My food allergies last week at Estrella went from mild to so severe i nearly went to the er.

          Personally, I use a target that's 3" or less for practice. When you start grouping regularly change it up. Shoot at 10 yds for practicing your form. Shoot at 15 & 18 yds as these are common in novelty shoots. And 20 yds is common. My first year of serious shooting, i shot at 10 for weeks, then 10 & 15, then 10, 15, & 18. Finally when i made it back to 20, i found that i could hit it regularly. I also had a better understanding of 'unknown distances' at sca tourneys as well as how to adjust for them.

          Height: waist to chest high. For standard royal rounds in an tir, caid, and atenveldt in my experience.

          Alternatives: sit in a chair, kneel, squat, aim at a low 'rabbit' target, blow up a water balloon with air, dangle a tennis ball from rubber bands.

          Please check with local police or maybe city hall on local laws regarding archery. Some counties are very strict. Some don't care.

          If you have neighbors, please don't shot popinjays or other targets high up. I'd lower the target to 'below waist to knee level' depending on how you shoot.
          Cat