Re: [SCA-Archery] Height of target

  • Chris Ivins
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 1, 2013
      "with 3 or 4 bales stacked
      (4 Bales is about as high as is steady)
      (No fun when a stand or bales fall over )"

      On one of the outdoor ranges we built at a person's house a few year's ago, we used the farm-type "T" posts driven into the ground and tied to the bales(at the back side, of course) to help give some stability from falling over. - Iurii

      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 2, 2013
        Ave!

        We found that driving one or two pieces of #4, 4 foot rebar from the top of the hay
        bales into the ground kept the hay from falling over.

        Francois,
        Bonwicke, Ansteorra

        On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 1:09 AM, Chris Ivins <yuriilev@...> wrote:

[...]

      • Dame Macha of Mountain Edge (known as the
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 2, 2013
          If there is a reason not to have T-posts or rebar (as, for example, when the archery range will also be used for Mounted Archery and folks are concerned about riders or horses encountering those pointy objects in case of a fall), we have found that if there are extra bales one can reinforce the back of the primary stack with those.

          An alternative that could also reassure a site owner if they are concerned about equestrian liability is to cap the T-posts with the round plastic caps available at feed/farm supply stores to cap the post and also hold an electric wire for a fence. These are standard for unaccompanied horses exposed to T-posts.

          I am trying to encourage sharing the range - that is done in An Tir at an event called Summer Hunt (hunt theme) and the 3D targets and other novelty shoot items can be enjoyed by both foot and mounted archers. Now to figure out how to have the moving targets also available to mounted archers.......... that'd be very realistic for a hunt situation but we have safety rules to consider.

          Totally agree with not having the bulls eye at a junction between bales! The arrows can go right through and then it is hard to tell who got that point on the target vs who overshot or otherwise landed beyond the target but accidentally (and, of course, not under anyone's control)  next to the top-scoring arrow. Ouch!

           Macha (Jr TAM and KEO, An Tir)

          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 2, 2013
            The range where my barony practices has their bales secured with a cable attached to the ground on one side, up, along the top, down the side, and back into the ground.

            Grazia
          • Kelly Burgess
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 2, 2013
              try this with hay bales.

              for a sturdy 4 bale stack,
              Lay out about 20 feet of rope running east / west.
              The first 2 bales are beside each other with the length running north / south, the north end should overlap the rope by about 1 foot.
              Bale 3 is stacked on the first 2 running east / west.
              Bale 4 is stacked on bale 3 also running east / west.
              Tie down the bales with a cinch knot, re-tighten as rope stretches.

              you can stack 3 up to bales on the base by moving the east / west bales closer to the middle of the north / south bales. Also stack the raw ends together whenever possible, they will lock together easily and help prevent blow throughs.

              bran

              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 3, 2013

                Where I live, I have room in my backyard for a target as well. I wanted to set one up, but then checked with my local police station. I was told that since I had neighbors on 3 sides, I would not, legally, be able to set one up. You might want to check with your local police before setting up a target.

                My 2 cents worh,

                Eoin

                Iron Bog

                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 4, 2013
                  Even if your local jurisdiction does not consider a hand bow to be a fire arm, almost all consider a crossbow to be such, as they are capable of being carried cocked and loaded. Also, the power of a crossbow makes blowing through a fence more likely in the event of missing the target. One more thing to consider for backyard ranges...

                  Randal of Camusfearna

                  --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, stalek@... wrote:

                  > Where I live, I have room in my backyard for a target as well. I wanted to set one up, but then checked with my local police station. I was told that since I had neighbors on 3 sides, I would not, legally, be able to set one up. You might want to check with your local police before setting up a target.
                  >
                  > My 2 cents worh,
                  >
                  > Eoin
                  > Iron Bog
                  <TRIMMED>
                • Caterina Fortuna
                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 5, 2013

                    Please, don't use peanut bags. Or tell anyone who touches your equipment that if they are allergic that can't be near you. My food allergies last week at Estrella went from mild to so severe i nearly went to the er.

                    Personally, I use a target that's 3" or less for practice. When you start grouping regularly change it up. Shoot at 10 yds for practicing your form. Shoot at 15 & 18 yds as these are common in novelty shoots. And 20 yds is common. My first year of serious shooting, i shot at 10 for weeks, then 10 & 15, then 10, 15, & 18. Finally when i made it back to 20, i found that i could hit it regularly. I also had a better understanding of 'unknown distances' at sca tourneys as well as how to adjust for them.

                    Height: waist to chest high. For standard royal rounds in an tir, caid, and atenveldt in my experience.

                    Alternatives: sit in a chair, kneel, squat, aim at a low 'rabbit' target, blow up a water balloon with air, dangle a tennis ball from rubber bands.

                    Please check with local police or maybe city hall on local laws regarding archery. Some counties are very strict. Some don't care.

                    If you have neighbors, please don't shot popinjays or other targets high up. I'd lower the target to 'below waist to knee level' depending on how you shoot.
                    Cat