Re: Height of target

  • The Greys
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 1, 2013
      Aelric,
      Height of target all depends upon the purpose and type of practice. I know lots of folks that shoot/practice Royal Round after Royal Round. It doesn't make them a better archer though. What makes us better is variety. Thus target height seems irrelevant. For example, when the range at Pennsic was moved there is a significant uphill side to it. That threw off a bunch of archers because they had never shot uphill/downhill before.

      I often use one gallon milk jugs as targets. I toss them out at about 15- 20 yards then shoot them. Each time they get hit they move which makes for a new distance to practice at. I don't recommend more than about 2 - 3 shafts per jug though or you will start splitting shafts. Lots of targets at lots of distances, most unknown to start, will make your practice much more beneficial than shooting known distances at known heights over and over.

      Also, to make good, cheap targets get burlap peanut bags from your local steak house (they just throw them away) and stuff them with plastic bags (free). They make good targets for practice. You can put whatever you want on the front to act as an aiming point.

      My two cents worth,
      kog

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "aelric_southlake" <magnetcoil@...> wrote:

      > Greetings, wondering about target heights, and any standards/rules thereof:
      >
      > We just moved to a place that has a bit over 20 yards clear space on the side of the house, and so, for the first time since I was a kid, I am actually able to practice in my own yard. (no more excuses now)Which means it is also the first time that I'm setting up a semi-permanent target that hasn't been already set up by someone at a range.
      >
      > Right now I'm using a U-Fill-It bag with a 60 cm target on it that is sitting on an old lawn chair. The next free weekend I have I'll be building a 2x4 stand to hang it from... Any particualr height I should be setting it at? That is, ground to center of bullseye measurement?
      >
      > Does that measurement change when you get out to 40, 60, 100 yrds?
      >
      > At both the outdoor and indoor ranges I'm familiar with, they seem to set the targets at fairly random heights, but they are clearly public, "practice" spaces - and beyond the few times I've accidently been there on a "league night," I've never seen how they set up for any formal tournament scenario.
      >
      > Thanks for reading and any responses,
      > Aelric, West K.

    • Oscar Van Loveren 000724 recon
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 1, 2013
        FWIW The EK Royal Round regs specify the center of the
        target being 2-4 feet above the ground. A lot of leeway.
        Have fun.
        http://www.nni.com/
      • Ld.blackmoon
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 1, 2013
          greetings

          it really depends on your chosen " format " and " safety " .
          a lot of places use the children's target stands that barely raise the targets off of the ground . these are especially good in places where you don't have a lot of room for missing arrows to land due to safety issues such as neighbors fence, house, garage, etc. .
          some places use various heights to mimic the approximate height of the game animal they are practicing to shoot ( on the ground, 2 foot above the ground, 5 foot above the ground , etc.) but again safety behind the target is a prime concern.
          and a lot of people in the sca place the target to correspond with " chest height " since in period we would be practicing for war.

           so it's really up to you and how much room you have as a safety zone behind the target .

          you can also modify that range with stop sheets, and catch nets : )

          hope that helps

          Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun .
          Arthur
[...]

          No virus found in this message.
          Internal Virus Database is out of date.

        • Chris Ivins
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 1, 2013
            "with 3 or 4 bales stacked
            (4 Bales is about as high as is steady)
            (No fun when a stand or bales fall over )"

            On one of the outdoor ranges we built at a person's house a few year's ago, we used the farm-type "T" posts driven into the ground and tied to the bales(at the back side, of course) to help give some stability from falling over. - Iurii

            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 2, 2013
              Ave!

              We found that driving one or two pieces of #4, 4 foot rebar from the top of the hay
              bales into the ground kept the hay from falling over.

              Francois,
              Bonwicke, Ansteorra

              On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 1:09 AM, Chris Ivins <yuriilev@...> wrote:

[...]

            • Dame Macha of Mountain Edge (known as the
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 2, 2013
                If there is a reason not to have T-posts or rebar (as, for example, when the archery range will also be used for Mounted Archery and folks are concerned about riders or horses encountering those pointy objects in case of a fall), we have found that if there are extra bales one can reinforce the back of the primary stack with those.

                An alternative that could also reassure a site owner if they are concerned about equestrian liability is to cap the T-posts with the round plastic caps available at feed/farm supply stores to cap the post and also hold an electric wire for a fence. These are standard for unaccompanied horses exposed to T-posts.

                I am trying to encourage sharing the range - that is done in An Tir at an event called Summer Hunt (hunt theme) and the 3D targets and other novelty shoot items can be enjoyed by both foot and mounted archers. Now to figure out how to have the moving targets also available to mounted archers.......... that'd be very realistic for a hunt situation but we have safety rules to consider.

                Totally agree with not having the bulls eye at a junction between bales! The arrows can go right through and then it is hard to tell who got that point on the target vs who overshot or otherwise landed beyond the target but accidentally (and, of course, not under anyone's control)  next to the top-scoring arrow. Ouch!

                 Macha (Jr TAM and KEO, An Tir)

                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 2, 2013
                  The range where my barony practices has their bales secured with a cable attached to the ground on one side, up, along the top, down the side, and back into the ground.

                  Grazia
                • Kelly Burgess
                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 2, 2013
                    try this with hay bales.

                    for a sturdy 4 bale stack,
                    Lay out about 20 feet of rope running east / west.
                    The first 2 bales are beside each other with the length running north / south, the north end should overlap the rope by about 1 foot.
                    Bale 3 is stacked on the first 2 running east / west.
                    Bale 4 is stacked on bale 3 also running east / west.
                    Tie down the bales with a cinch knot, re-tighten as rope stretches.

                    you can stack 3 up to bales on the base by moving the east / west bales closer to the middle of the north / south bales. Also stack the raw ends together whenever possible, they will lock together easily and help prevent blow throughs.

                    bran

                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 3, 2013

                      Where I live, I have room in my backyard for a target as well. I wanted to set one up, but then checked with my local police station. I was told that since I had neighbors on 3 sides, I would not, legally, be able to set one up. You might want to check with your local police before setting up a target.

                      My 2 cents worh,

                      Eoin

                      Iron Bog

                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 4, 2013
                        Even if your local jurisdiction does not consider a hand bow to be a fire arm, almost all consider a crossbow to be such, as they are capable of being carried cocked and loaded. Also, the power of a crossbow makes blowing through a fence more likely in the event of missing the target. One more thing to consider for backyard ranges...

                        Randal of Camusfearna

                        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, stalek@... wrote:

                        > Where I live, I have room in my backyard for a target as well. I wanted to set one up, but then checked with my local police station. I was told that since I had neighbors on 3 sides, I would not, legally, be able to set one up. You might want to check with your local police before setting up a target.
                        >
                        > My 2 cents worh,
                        >
                        > Eoin
                        > Iron Bog
                        <TRIMMED>
                      • Caterina Fortuna
                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 5, 2013

                          Please, don't use peanut bags. Or tell anyone who touches your equipment that if they are allergic that can't be near you. My food allergies last week at Estrella went from mild to so severe i nearly went to the er.

                          Personally, I use a target that's 3" or less for practice. When you start grouping regularly change it up. Shoot at 10 yds for practicing your form. Shoot at 15 & 18 yds as these are common in novelty shoots. And 20 yds is common. My first year of serious shooting, i shot at 10 for weeks, then 10 & 15, then 10, 15, & 18. Finally when i made it back to 20, i found that i could hit it regularly. I also had a better understanding of 'unknown distances' at sca tourneys as well as how to adjust for them.

                          Height: waist to chest high. For standard royal rounds in an tir, caid, and atenveldt in my experience.

                          Alternatives: sit in a chair, kneel, squat, aim at a low 'rabbit' target, blow up a water balloon with air, dangle a tennis ball from rubber bands.

                          Please check with local police or maybe city hall on local laws regarding archery. Some counties are very strict. Some don't care.

                          If you have neighbors, please don't shot popinjays or other targets high up. I'd lower the target to 'below waist to knee level' depending on how you shoot.
                          Cat