Re: Target

  • John Atkins
    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 5, 2013
      Message
      Cahrles,
      My local barony invested in two Saunders mats but they were not cared for as need be and did not last as long as they could have.  The other problem with Saudners mats, and I have contacted them about this, is that they tend to suck off arrow points.  Very frustrating.  YES!  I have gone through all the processes of applying the points in manners so they will not come off but they do.  So the solution from my perspective is two fold.  First is if there is a steak house near you that serves peanuts to waiting customers ask them to save the burlap bags for you.  They just throw them in the trash anyway.  Stuff them with palstic bags, from grocery stores and every where else, and they last a very long time.  Alternative, collect cardboard.  The back of most stores is a good place but if you can talk a store into giving you the mellon boxes for display they are better as the cardboad is about three times thicker than normal cardboard.  Your last resort is foam panneling, 4 X 8.  About $25 - 30 per sheet but cut into 2 X 4 you get 4 pieces for back stops.  You would have to double this up with cardboard or two layers to stop a bow of 45 ponds or more.

      Saunders mats, in my opinion, while really "authentic", just are not worth the money unless someone else is paying for them.

      cog
    • Taslen
      Message 2 of 24 , Feb 5, 2013
        Good day Lord Christopher and Lady Cherise

        Nice to hear from you, folks I have shot these targets,  they work great just make sure to use Pledge or something on the shafts first! Christopher do they have a website or do you have their phone number? Again so nice to see you both!

        Gaelen O'Gradaigh
        Midrealm archery marshal of the field
        Archery MIC for Encampment 2013
        Co-editor Quivers & Quarrels

        From: jphughessr@...
        Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2013 13:36:00 -0800
        Subject: [SCA-Archery] Target

        I proposed that my shire invest in saunders mats and faces so we could run royal rounds. People in the shire asked me to explore ways that we could make targets from foam that would last. Any suggestions??

        Charles O'Connor

        =======
        http://www.pctools.com/?cclick=EmailFooterClean_51
        =======

        =======
        http://www.pctools.com
        =======

      • Randal of Camusfearna
        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 5, 2013
          I've made targets out of corrugated plastic, which is used for outdoor signs. Look for 4' x 8' sheets used for political signs during campaigns and collect them after the election takes place. Three layers will stop arrows from most bows. Great for making novelty targets, I've made life size fighter figures from them.

          Randal of Camusfearna.

          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "J. Hughes" wrote:

          > I proposed that my shire invest in saunders mats and faces so we could run royal rounds. People in the shire asked me to explore ways that we could make targets from foam that would last. Any suggestions??
          >
          > Charles O'Connor

        • chris and sher
          Message 4 of 24 , Feb 6, 2013
            for the aesthetics of the foam, targets with treated stands, we bought a mid
            to heavey burlap and hemed the edges and sewed reinforcement patches with
            ties made of heavy canvas, these cover all of the modern materials and look
            pretty good/ natural.
            christopher

            Message 5 of 24 , Feb 6, 2013
              i;ll look i up, i was trying to find the pics and assembly instructions/ measurements for the ones we built but there gone, good t here from ya too .
              were still here lurking in the background,

              been distracted with our blackmores night tribute band,  (www(dot)reverbnation(dot)com/crystalballband)  and our local groups, politics
              but were hoping to get back to it .
              christopher

              Message 6 of 24 , Feb 6, 2013
                I forwarded you what you had sent me

                Message 7 of 24 , Feb 6, 2013
                  We've been using Polyethylene Foam Archery Targets available at
                  www.foambymail.com. They are currently $24.99 each. They measure 2 x 23 x 24. Orders over $75 have free shipping. You have to order 4 to get the free shipping, but they last a long time. We've been using them for over a year and have had no problems. They wear well and are weather resistant.

                  --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "J. Hughes" wrote:

                  > I proposed that my shire invest in saunders mats and faces so we could run royal rounds. People in the shire asked me to explore ways that we could make targets from foam that would last. Any suggestions??
                  >
                  > Charles O'Connor

                • Doug Copley
                  Message 8 of 24 , Feb 6, 2013
                    That's a good price, unfortunately I would hate to buy them. The standard FITA target that we use for Royal Rounds and IKACs have a diameter of 23.5". If there was any way to get them as a 24 x 24 it would be great!

                    This would be short changing anyone that shoots at them.

                    Vincenti

                    On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 1:28 PM, tkstop <tkstop@...> wrote:

                    We've been using Polyethylene Foam Archery Targets available at
                    www.foambymail.com. They are currently $24.99 each. They measure 2 x 23 x 24. Orders over $75 have free shipping. You have to order 4 to get the free shipping, but they last a long time. We've been using them for over a year and have had no problems. They wear well and are weather resistant.

                    --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "J. Hughes" wrote:

                    > I proposed that my shire invest in saunders mats and faces so we could run royal rounds. People in the shire asked me to explore ways that we could make targets from foam that would last. Any suggestions??
                    >
                    > Charles O'Connor

                  • tkstop
                    Message 9 of 24 , Feb 6, 2013
                      The extra 1/2" doesn't really effect anything because it is actually outside the scoring area.

                      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Doug Copley wrote:

                      > That's a good price, unfortunately I would hate to buy them. The standard
                      > FITA target that we use for Royal Rounds and IKACs have a diameter of
                      > 23.5". If there was any way to get them as a 24 x 24 it would be great!
                      >
                      > This would be short changing anyone that shoots at them.
                      >
                      > Vincenti
                      >

                      > On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 1:28 PM, tkstop wrote:
                      >
                      > > **
                      > >

                      > > We've been using Polyethylene Foam Archery Targets available at
                      > > www.foambymail.com. They are currently $24.99 each. They measure 2 x 23 x
                      > > 24. Orders over $75 have free shipping. You have to order 4 to get the free
                      > > shipping, but they last a long time. We've been using them for over a year
                      > > and have had no problems. They wear well and are weather resistant.
                      > >
                      > > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "J. Hughes" wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > I proposed that my shire invest in saunders mats and faces so we could
                      > > run royal rounds. People in the shire asked me to explore ways that we
                      > > could make targets from foam that would last. Any suggestions??
                      > > >
                      > > > Charles O'Connor

                    • Doug Copley
                      Message 10 of 24 , Feb 6, 2013
                        no, the scoring area is 23.5" the actual target face is 24 7/8" but that includes the non-scoring area

                        Vincenti

                        On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 2:00 PM, tkstop <tkstop@...> wrote:

                        The extra 1/2" doesn't really effect anything because it is actually outside the scoring area.

                        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Doug Copley wrote:

                        > That's a good price, unfortunately I would hate to buy them. The standard
                        > FITA target that we use for Royal Rounds and IKACs have a diameter of
                        > 23.5". If there was any way to get them as a 24 x 24 it would be great!
                        >
                        > This would be short changing anyone that shoots at them.
                        >
                        > Vincenti
                        >

                        > On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 1:28 PM, tkstop wrote:
                        >
                        > > **
                        > >

                        > > We've been using Polyethylene Foam Archery Targets available at
                        > > www.foambymail.com. They are currently $24.99 each. They measure 2 x 23 x
                        > > 24. Orders over $75 have free shipping. You have to order 4 to get the free
                        > > shipping, but they last a long time. We've been using them for over a year
                        > > and have had no problems. They wear well and are weather resistant.
                        > >
                        > > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "J. Hughes" wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > I proposed that my shire invest in saunders mats and faces so we could
                        > > run royal rounds. People in the shire asked me to explore ways that we
                        > > could make targets from foam that would last. Any suggestions??
                        > > >
                        > > > Charles O'Connor

                      • tkstop
                        Message 11 of 24 , Feb 6, 2013
                          I'll have to look when I get home, but I'm sure the entire scoring area fits on the ones I have.

                          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Doug Copley wrote:

                          > no, the scoring area is 23.5" the actual target face is 24 7/8" but that
                          > includes the non-scoring area
                          >
                          > Vincenti
                          >

                          > On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 2:00 PM, tkstop wrote:
                          >
                          > > **
                          > >

                          > > The extra 1/2" doesn't really effect anything because it is actually
                          > > outside the scoring area.
                          > >
                          > > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Doug Copley wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > That's a good price, unfortunately I would hate to buy them. The standard
                          > > > FITA target that we use for Royal Rounds and IKACs have a diameter of
                          > > > 23.5". If there was any way to get them as a 24 x 24 it would be great!
                          > > >
                          > > > This would be short changing anyone that shoots at them.
                          > > >
                          > > > Vincenti

                          > > 23 x
                          > > free
                          > > year

                          > > could

                        • Doug Copley
                          Message 12 of 24 , Feb 6, 2013
                            it could be that the ones you have are slightly larger than 23", also if you space them evenly then they would only overlap 1/4" on each side and that would only be about 3" of scoring area.

                            Vincenti
                            Who hopes his shots are closer to the center so that I do not have to worry about it:-)

                            On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 2:40 PM, tkstop <tkstop@...> wrote:

                            I'll have to look when I get home, but I'm sure the entire scoring area fits on the ones I have.

                            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Doug Copley wrote:

                            > no, the scoring area is 23.5" the actual target face is 24 7/8" but that
                            > includes the non-scoring area
                            >
                            > Vincenti
                            >

                            > On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 2:00 PM, tkstop wrote:
                            >
                            > > **
                            > >

                            > > The extra 1/2" doesn't really effect anything because it is actually
                            > > outside the scoring area.
                            > >
                            > > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Doug Copley wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > That's a good price, unfortunately I would hate to buy them. The standard
                            > > > FITA target that we use for Royal Rounds and IKACs have a diameter of
                            > > > 23.5". If there was any way to get them as a 24 x 24 it would be great!
                            > > >
                            > > > This would be short changing anyone that shoots at them.
                            > > >
                            > > > Vincenti

                            > > 23 x
                            > > free
                            > > year