Re: Target

  • lekervere
    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 5, 2013
      I have another method that might work. Your mileage may vary. I came up with this method arranging for novelty targets at a shire shoot. We needed something that would stop arrows, but could be lifted for a pop-up target. I now use a slab for target shooting when I don't want to drive out to the bow club. It has never failed to stop my arrows from passing through.

      Go to your local cotsco or similar and collect the flat layers of cardboard that are set between layers on a pallet. Make up a big pot of wheat paste and use a paint roller to spread the glue and stick the layers of cardboard together, about 12 layers thick. The paste makes the layers warp a bit, so stack some bricks on top of the pile as it dries. It takes about a day to dry with warm sunshine. The whole thing is cheap and quick, and it stops arrows, even when they enter previously punched holes.

      As it gets worn, you can glue a few more layers on, or make a new one.

      For novelties this material can be cut on a bandsaw into nearly any shape. We have a ten foot dragon built up in layers.

      I remember an old book (I'll check the library) that showed how to make wheel shaped archery butts from straw. It called for long stem straw, not baled straw. You started at the center and spiraled out, using a large needle and twine to tie the butt together.

      Edward le Kervere

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "J. Hughes" wrote:

      > I proposed that my shire invest in saunders mats and faces so we could run royal rounds. People in the shire asked me to explore ways that we could make targets from foam that would last. Any suggestions??
      >
      > Charles O'Connor

    • JDS
      Message 2 of 24 , Feb 5, 2013
        Hello Archers

        I like Foam Targets & other than looks Do not care so much
        for Saunders Matt's for the reasons already discussed.
        Weight, size, don't get wet
        (Western WA&OR shooting in Rain happens),
        bulky frames,transport&broken arrows (for us who miss & hit frame)
        cost,etc.

        I have Encountered a branch that for aesthetics
        essentially refused any thing except Saunders Matt's.

        Wye wood.An Tir
        (shire soon to be barony)
        & I have made a number of Foam Target
        Butts. Salvaged Foam only cost straps/wrap & labour & petrol.

        We replaced the hay bales 3? years ago.
        saving ~32 (& cost)bales each replacements time.
        (1 -2x a year)
        we have rebuilt them a few times taking the bad
        pieces out or moving to top /bottom.

        The first set was approximately 6-7 foot long
        by 4-5 foot high

        (Later rebuilt to~4'H for easier transport/uniformity)
        and 10-12 inches thick

        Thickness picked by combo of crossbow bolt length
        & what it took to stop arrows from ~40-50 # bows.

        These replaced 2-3 stacks of hay bales with no crack
        to shoot through.

        Theses were stacked of pieces 7 foot x ~1 foot x 2 inches
        as mentioned below.(some of it was cutting my material for
        as close to zero waste as possible.

        Center was 2-4 # closed cell Foam with about a foot of styro foam
        on top and bottom,(Cut up old hot tub covers)(made them look like backwards ores)
        strapped together with Non ratchet straps
        (ratchets used to compress)Then Pallet wrap the whole thing.
        Pallet strapping would work too if you have equipment.
        Smaller 4 foot high 2-2.5foot wide x~1foot
        ones have been made with burlap to
        cover used at events.

        These were made flat faced of various foams
        possibly with out strapping as it gets pallet wrapped also.

        Drive a piece or two of re bar (or t posts)
        in the ground to keep it up right and in place.
        Zip tie or tie to Posts.

        Nice thing Is one person and pick up the Small one and toss
        it in the car . The larger ones can be moved by one prison though
        a bit awkward.

        Carpet or cardboard stacked works as described below
        beater for a (more)permanent place. (heavy & awkward)

        I have also with the above foams 2-8# pound and styro
        built some flat faced
        and rebuilt the "Block" brand a targets.

        5-8# 2 inch's thick will generally stop a arrow up to 50#
        belong 50 its gets a bit thin . I have seen an additional
        2-4 " piece added for what ever target cross bows are used on.

        You can buy 24x24 square for $40? already from a tart get place
        (don't see link Right off hand)
        You can make a simple wood frame or use a cardboard box
        or hang it.

        A box full of plastic grocery bags with(or without)
        a Piece of foam will do nicely too.

        Styro or other hard foams are not recommended they take tips
        and the leave a mess
        however if its the best you can do Pallet wrap is your friend .

        The used hot tub covers
        (often free for the asking at a hot tub shop)
        can be used as it with the vinyl
        still on them.
        A 4x6-7 foot hot tub cover is also a nice base
        for a york target.

        One of us also built a york target like the small ones
        above that folded so you had a 2x4 footx`1Fft thick traveling unit
        that folded out to 4x4 by 6 inches thick.

        And Traditionally IIRC a nice Pile of dirt was
        the Butt.

        I Hope this makes sense feel free to ask questions
        I have pictures some place.Plenty of cheap /free
        material that work.

        In service to the Dream & Archery
        Johann Fairhand
        Archer TAM TWM Etc An Tir

        Snipped
        In a previous shire we had a company that made foam similar to camping mats. As part of the production process there was scrap about 8" x 24" and 1/2" thick. Some genius got the idea to stack 48 of them to make a 24" x 24" x 8" block of foam layers. Eventually the ones near the center wore out but 2 quick snips of the pallet banding to disassemble then throw away the middle third of the layers and add fresh was pretty easy... but there were jigs to hold the foam and pallet strap ratchets and other stuff 'borrowed' and the foam was free/cheap which made it cost effective. I don't think I would want to duplicate the technique with actual Walmart camp-mats. 1 sheet would get you 9 layers which are only 3/8" thick so maybe 3" per mat so you would need 8 mats per target. That gets pretty expensive but you only need to replace 2-3 mats worth of padding each year.

        I was at a professional archery range that did something similar with corregated cardboard. They stacked it end-on so you were looking down the corregation channels and clamped it in 2x4's with threaded rod. Also worked and could replace the layers that were most worn but you need a cheap source for 24" x 8-9" pieces of cardboard.

        Personally the cheapest targets are 2" of blue or pink wall insulation styrofoam in front of hay-bales but they don't last long and the haybales get wet and nasty.

        I don't know how to make a circular Saunders mat but if you can sew burlap and have a local farm that bales hay in drum shapes you might manage to slice one in sections and bag it as targets. Never seen it done but it might work.

        Luck!
        Sean
      • Ken Dolphin
        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 5, 2013
          Two very inexpensive types, that I have seen, and used, are either, six inch wide strips of corrigated cardboard rolled up and taped. Takes some time but uses cardboard from waste bins.

          Other good way involves making a framework to surround a gunny sack filled with plastic grocery bags.

          Both of these will stop crossbow bolts.

          Kenneth of Shaftesbury

          Message 4 of 24 , Feb 5, 2013
            hi, tested and prooven, 6lb. ethafoam, or athletic foam. black or white , an a treated wood frame, 1 range outside for 5 years and could make another 5 with target rotation,
            this is the same materials used for the archery targets at n.o.w.m, by cleftlands.  around here we purchased at , american foam products, painsville oh. when purchased it was$ 49.00 per 2’x 94”. i cut into 3 2’x 33 3/8” pieces. use 2 pieces per target . ending up with a 4’ x 33” target face , mounted with zip strips. its good to put a another piece to double the thicknes on the 20 and 30 yard targets to prevent compound fractures.
            only needs to be wide enought to cover the wood , not the whole target face
            christopher

            Sent: Tuesday, February 05, 2013 5:09 PM
            Subject: RE: [SCA-Archery] Target

            We have been buying from a company called Technifoam out of St Louis MO.
            They do custom foam inlays for packing / shipping.
            You may check if there is some thing like it in your area.
            Bought 2 butts this year again,  6" x 48" x 54"  @ 2.2# dencity.  About $155.00 each.
            This is a self closing cell type foam.
            We will get at least 10,000 center shoots out of these before they start to sofen up.
            By rotating your target on the face of the butt =  Increase the number of shoots / life...
            No problems with rodents, retains little water, can be picked up and moved by most
            members shooting (they do not weight in like the saunders, nor soak up rain)
            Do cover them with burlep or some other cloth to get rid of the modern look.
            Too many laters of burlep will bounce an arrow ... One layer and your target has
            worked will for us.

            Master Thomas of Cologne
            Calontir Archer

            To: sca-archery@yahoogroups.com
            From: jphughessr@...
            Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2013 13:36:00 -0800

            I proposed that my shire invest in saunders mats and faces so we could run royal rounds. People in the shire asked me to explore ways that we could make targets from foam that would last. Any suggestions??

            Charles O'Connor

            =======
            http://www.pctools.com
            =======

            =======
            http://www.pctools.com
            =======
          • John Atkins
            Message 5 of 24 , Feb 5, 2013
              Message
              Cahrles,
              My local barony invested in two Saunders mats but they were not cared for as need be and did not last as long as they could have.  The other problem with Saudners mats, and I have contacted them about this, is that they tend to suck off arrow points.  Very frustrating.  YES!  I have gone through all the processes of applying the points in manners so they will not come off but they do.  So the solution from my perspective is two fold.  First is if there is a steak house near you that serves peanuts to waiting customers ask them to save the burlap bags for you.  They just throw them in the trash anyway.  Stuff them with palstic bags, from grocery stores and every where else, and they last a very long time.  Alternative, collect cardboard.  The back of most stores is a good place but if you can talk a store into giving you the mellon boxes for display they are better as the cardboad is about three times thicker than normal cardboard.  Your last resort is foam panneling, 4 X 8.  About $25 - 30 per sheet but cut into 2 X 4 you get 4 pieces for back stops.  You would have to double this up with cardboard or two layers to stop a bow of 45 ponds or more.

              Saunders mats, in my opinion, while really "authentic", just are not worth the money unless someone else is paying for them.

              cog
            • Taslen
              Message 6 of 24 , Feb 5, 2013
                Good day Lord Christopher and Lady Cherise

                Nice to hear from you, folks I have shot these targets,  they work great just make sure to use Pledge or something on the shafts first! Christopher do they have a website or do you have their phone number? Again so nice to see you both!

                Gaelen O'Gradaigh
                Midrealm archery marshal of the field
                Archery MIC for Encampment 2013
                Co-editor Quivers & Quarrels

                From: jphughessr@...
                Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2013 13:36:00 -0800

                I proposed that my shire invest in saunders mats and faces so we could run royal rounds. People in the shire asked me to explore ways that we could make targets from foam that would last. Any suggestions??

                Charles O'Connor

                =======
                http://www.pctools.com/?cclick=EmailFooterClean_51
                =======

                =======
                http://www.pctools.com
                =======

              • Randal of Camusfearna
                Message 7 of 24 , Feb 5, 2013
                  I've made targets out of corrugated plastic, which is used for outdoor signs. Look for 4' x 8' sheets used for political signs during campaigns and collect them after the election takes place. Three layers will stop arrows from most bows. Great for making novelty targets, I've made life size fighter figures from them.

                  Randal of Camusfearna.

                  --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "J. Hughes" wrote:

                  > I proposed that my shire invest in saunders mats and faces so we could run royal rounds. People in the shire asked me to explore ways that we could make targets from foam that would last. Any suggestions??
                  >
                  > Charles O'Connor

                • chris and sher
                  Message 8 of 24 , Feb 6, 2013
                    for the aesthetics of the foam, targets with treated stands, we bought a mid
                    to heavey burlap and hemed the edges and sewed reinforcement patches with
                    ties made of heavy canvas, these cover all of the modern materials and look
                    pretty good/ natural.
                    christopher

                    Message 9 of 24 , Feb 6, 2013
                      i;ll look i up, i was trying to find the pics and assembly instructions/ measurements for the ones we built but there gone, good t here from ya too .
                      were still here lurking in the background,

                      been distracted with our blackmores night tribute band,  (www(dot)reverbnation(dot)com/crystalballband)  and our local groups, politics
                      but were hoping to get back to it .
                      christopher

                      Message 10 of 24 , Feb 6, 2013
                        I forwarded you what you had sent me

                        Message 11 of 24 , Feb 6, 2013
                          We've been using Polyethylene Foam Archery Targets available at
                          www.foambymail.com. They are currently $24.99 each. They measure 2 x 23 x 24. Orders over $75 have free shipping. You have to order 4 to get the free shipping, but they last a long time. We've been using them for over a year and have had no problems. They wear well and are weather resistant.

                          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "J. Hughes" wrote:

                          > I proposed that my shire invest in saunders mats and faces so we could run royal rounds. People in the shire asked me to explore ways that we could make targets from foam that would last. Any suggestions??
                          >
                          > Charles O'Connor

                        • Doug Copley
                          Message 12 of 24 , Feb 6, 2013
                            That's a good price, unfortunately I would hate to buy them. The standard FITA target that we use for Royal Rounds and IKACs have a diameter of 23.5". If there was any way to get them as a 24 x 24 it would be great!

                            This would be short changing anyone that shoots at them.

                            Vincenti

                            On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 1:28 PM, tkstop <tkstop@...> wrote:

                            We've been using Polyethylene Foam Archery Targets available at
                            www.foambymail.com. They are currently $24.99 each. They measure 2 x 23 x 24. Orders over $75 have free shipping. You have to order 4 to get the free shipping, but they last a long time. We've been using them for over a year and have had no problems. They wear well and are weather resistant.

                            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "J. Hughes" wrote:

                            > I proposed that my shire invest in saunders mats and faces so we could run royal rounds. People in the shire asked me to explore ways that we could make targets from foam that would last. Any suggestions??
                            >
                            > Charles O'Connor

                          • tkstop
                            Message 13 of 24 , Feb 6, 2013
                              The extra 1/2" doesn't really effect anything because it is actually outside the scoring area.

                              --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Doug Copley wrote:

                              > That's a good price, unfortunately I would hate to buy them. The standard
                              > FITA target that we use for Royal Rounds and IKACs have a diameter of
                              > 23.5". If there was any way to get them as a 24 x 24 it would be great!
                              >
                              > This would be short changing anyone that shoots at them.
                              >
                              > Vincenti
                              >

                              > On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 1:28 PM, tkstop wrote:
                              >
                              > > **
                              > >

                              > > We've been using Polyethylene Foam Archery Targets available at
                              > > www.foambymail.com. They are currently $24.99 each. They measure 2 x 23 x
                              > > 24. Orders over $75 have free shipping. You have to order 4 to get the free
                              > > shipping, but they last a long time. We've been using them for over a year
                              > > and have had no problems. They wear well and are weather resistant.
                              > >
                              > > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "J. Hughes" wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > I proposed that my shire invest in saunders mats and faces so we could
                              > > run royal rounds. People in the shire asked me to explore ways that we
                              > > could make targets from foam that would last. Any suggestions??
                              > > >
                              > > > Charles O'Connor

                            • Doug Copley
                              Message 14 of 24 , Feb 6, 2013
                                no, the scoring area is 23.5" the actual target face is 24 7/8" but that includes the non-scoring area

                                Vincenti

                                On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 2:00 PM, tkstop <tkstop@...> wrote:

                                The extra 1/2" doesn't really effect anything because it is actually outside the scoring area.

                                --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Doug Copley wrote:

                                > That's a good price, unfortunately I would hate to buy them. The standard
                                > FITA target that we use for Royal Rounds and IKACs have a diameter of
                                > 23.5". If there was any way to get them as a 24 x 24 it would be great!
                                >
                                > This would be short changing anyone that shoots at them.
                                >
                                > Vincenti
                                >

                                > On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 1:28 PM, tkstop wrote:
                                >
                                > > **
                                > >

                                > > We've been using Polyethylene Foam Archery Targets available at
                                > > www.foambymail.com. They are currently $24.99 each. They measure 2 x 23 x
                                > > 24. Orders over $75 have free shipping. You have to order 4 to get the free
                                > > shipping, but they last a long time. We've been using them for over a year
                                > > and have had no problems. They wear well and are weather resistant.
                                > >
                                > > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "J. Hughes" wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > I proposed that my shire invest in saunders mats and faces so we could
                                > > run royal rounds. People in the shire asked me to explore ways that we
                                > > could make targets from foam that would last. Any suggestions??
                                > > >
                                > > > Charles O'Connor

                              • tkstop
                                Message 15 of 24 , Feb 6, 2013
                                  I'll have to look when I get home, but I'm sure the entire scoring area fits on the ones I have.

                                  --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Doug Copley wrote:

                                  > no, the scoring area is 23.5" the actual target face is 24 7/8" but that
                                  > includes the non-scoring area
                                  >
                                  > Vincenti
                                  >

                                  > On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 2:00 PM, tkstop wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > **
                                  > >

                                  > > The extra 1/2" doesn't really effect anything because it is actually
                                  > > outside the scoring area.
                                  > >
                                  > > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Doug Copley wrote:
                                  > > >
                                  > > > That's a good price, unfortunately I would hate to buy them. The standard
                                  > > > FITA target that we use for Royal Rounds and IKACs have a diameter of
                                  > > > 23.5". If there was any way to get them as a 24 x 24 it would be great!
                                  > > >
                                  > > > This would be short changing anyone that shoots at them.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Vincenti

                                  > > 23 x
                                  > > free
                                  > > year

                                  > > could

                                • Doug Copley
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Feb 6, 2013
                                    it could be that the ones you have are slightly larger than 23", also if you space them evenly then they would only overlap 1/4" on each side and that would only be about 3" of scoring area.

                                    Vincenti
                                    Who hopes his shots are closer to the center so that I do not have to worry about it:-)

                                    On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 2:40 PM, tkstop <tkstop@...> wrote:

                                    I'll have to look when I get home, but I'm sure the entire scoring area fits on the ones I have.

                                    --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Doug Copley wrote:

                                    > no, the scoring area is 23.5" the actual target face is 24 7/8" but that
                                    > includes the non-scoring area
                                    >
                                    > Vincenti
                                    >

                                    > On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 2:00 PM, tkstop wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > **
                                    > >

                                    > > The extra 1/2" doesn't really effect anything because it is actually
                                    > > outside the scoring area.
                                    > >
                                    > > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Doug Copley wrote:
                                    > > >
                                    > > > That's a good price, unfortunately I would hate to buy them. The standard
                                    > > > FITA target that we use for Royal Rounds and IKACs have a diameter of
                                    > > > 23.5". If there was any way to get them as a 24 x 24 it would be great!
                                    > > >
                                    > > > This would be short changing anyone that shoots at them.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Vincenti

                                    > > 23 x
                                    > > free
                                    > > year