Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Bowyer (Bow Making) Class

  • Ld.blackmoon
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 29, 2013
      greetings

      there are many such opportunities if people look around , there is ojam in Oklahoma and mojam in Missouri , and I'm sure many others out there.
      where one can learn to make bows , of  both laminate ( no fiberglass ) and self bow types. as well as other primitive living skills. for a relatively minimal financial cost : )
       ( I made an Osage selfbow cost me about 30 hours and $100.00 ( $20 membership, $80 stave ) , I have a bamboo backed epay laminate cost me about 10 hours and $70. )
      yes as you get more experienced it takes less time  : )  but show me where I can go buy a custom self or laminate bow to my specs for even the combined cost of both my bows ?
      anyway , you may even be able to locate a bowyers and fletchers guild in an sca group somewhere near you  : )
      where ever you can get the chance to learn this stuff , please go, ( and bring friends , it's nice to chat while you work ; ) it's actually a lot of fun , and worth every penny you put into it, even on those sad occasions when that almost finished bow develops a sudden hinge, or commits suicide due to a hidden flaw , its still a teaching moment ( even if frustrating at the time : / )

      Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun .
      Arthur