SSAC Roundel clarification

  • John Edgerton
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 20, 2013
      I would like to make a clarification on the rules for the SSAC Rondel Sextet shoot. When I ran the shoot Saturday I found a problem with the rules as written.

      Jonathas, could you make the below addition to the rules.

      "Only arrows hitting the roundel at which the archer was aiming are to be counted."

      The intent of the scoring is to only count points for arrows/bolts that hit the roundel at which you were aiming. If you were aiming  at #1 and hit #2 instead, it does not count.  It is up to the honor of the archer not count those arrows.  If on the next turn you aimed at #2 and hit it, then by the rules neither arrow would count because you would have two arrows in the same target. But, if you missed the #2 target there would only be one arrow in it.  However, since the arrow was not aimed at that roundel, the archer should not count it.

      Sir Jon Fitz-Rauf
    • Bill Moore
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 20, 2013

        As was brought to my attention, this raises another question. If an archer aims at roundel #1 but hits roundel #2, may they elect not to shoot their second arrow, rather than risk fouling on another roundel? Inquiring minds want to know.

        Edward Harbinger

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 20, 2013
          Their second arrow/bolt must be shot at the second roundel. The targets are shot in sequence. Even if that arrow misses, the first arrow that hit it (the wrong target) does not count. Consider it as a penalty for hitting the wrong target.

          Jon

[...]

        • ladyjohannatrewpeny
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 21, 2013
            This is, to say the least, distressing.
            This is a very difficult shoot. I have been encouraging my archers, and myself, to do it regardless - because I believe it is good to grow our skills in single arrow focus AND timing interruption!

            It has been an uphill battle. The disappointment in losing a 'good shot' by a stray arrow cancelling all points in a roundel one had already hit is depressing and has caused overwhelming frustration when repeated frequently. More experienced archers or crossbowmen may not have this difficulty, but we still do.

            I agree that it is not good to 'miss' toward the blank roundel, which is what the shoot scoring led to. However, I DO request that if you don't allow it, don't steal the points from the good hits!!
            One already has a 'downside' from losing the potential bonuses and from not getting points from the arrow that missed. If you are Forced to shoot at a roundel you Know is point cancelled - on your honor - loss of fun and focus guaranteed.

            Please. Make it ONLY ONE ARROW can score per Roundel, and make it the lower score if you must.

            It's MUCH simpler for scoring and even if a stray arrow has already hit a roundel it is still worth shooting at that roundel rather than a known 'pointless' arrow one just flings away. - I have seen that happening and it doesn't improve anyone's skill.

            My vision/lighting/black'hornlooking'nocks makes seeing bad enough that I can't always TELL if I hit the roundel or not, but if only one arrow is allowed and I shot - on my honor - at each roundel then I am much more likely to know which ones to count. When I go to retrieve, trying to remember which arrow hit which roundel for myself AND the disabled archer I'm retrieving for gets complicated.

            I want this to be fun and improving, but my honor - and that of my archers, is worth more to me than shooting something I could mess up because I can't always see what was hit. Please.