Re: The Art of Archery; "Of the Way of Shooting with a Bow"

  • Travis Fornof
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 19, 2013
      Thank you for your replies. What you suggest makes sense.

      It was the "for every ten paces there is between the butts", and "if the butts are one hundred paces apart," that confused me a little.

      If the butts are targets, why have the butts 100 paces apart, and hang a screen between them?

      Thank you for your help.

      Lord Fionan
      Barony of Bjornsborg
      Kingdom of Ansteorra
    • John Edgerton
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 19, 2013

        The targets were often set up in pairs. The reason for this was to reduce the time and distance walked when shooting at long ranges.  For example, if there was just one butt ( the butt being the mound of sod or whatever the target is mounted on) and you are shooting six ends of arrows, you would walk 600 yards doing this.  If there is a pair of butts, you stand by one butt and shoot at the other, then walk to that butt and score your arrows and then shoot back at the first butt and so on.  If you were shooting six ends, you would only walk 300 yards.  This is even more of a savings when you are shooting at 200 plus yards.

        The screen is placed between the two sets of butts that you are walking back and forth between.

        Jon

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 19, 2013
          Having just finished a book recommended here one issue not noted in responses is the distance of pace. In period a pace was the distance between the foot fall of the same foot. Thus step off with your right foot, then left, then right again and that is one pace. What we call a pace today, step with right then left, was called a step. Or what we call a pace today was half a pace in period.

          Cog.